You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Keep Forgetting to Log off

Jason Lia 1306247

Jason Lia 1306247
Posted
Posted

Well, I have just experienced my first suspension!

In all seriousness, the reason I was suspended was frequent AFK'ing while online.

I tend to often forget to "disconnect" from the network when flying, and this has adversely affected me.

does anyone have tips on remembering to disconnect from the network?

and will this go on my permanent record? as i wish to apply for ATC in the future.

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Easy, if you stand up from the pc, disconnect.

Don't walk out of the room without disconnecting.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

this shouldnt be a very difficult thing to remember.

i concur with Sean, if this is really the case, and not just laziness on your part (happens). simply consider disconnecting any time you walk away from the PC

this is something you have to work out on your own though, need to develop better discipline

Richard Walsh
Posted
Posted

I would avoid using stoves.

Matt Booker
Posted
Posted

Jason,

CoC A14 states:

Members may not log on to the VATSIM.net network with non-active callsigns for excessive periods of time. Non-active callsigns are defined as callsigns which are unrelated to any pilot, air traffic control position, instructor or designated staff engaging in administrative duties. This rule applies to comeulative periods of use of any type of non-active callsign. Members who violate this rule shall be subject first to a warning. Members who are found to repeatedly violate this rule are subject to the terms of Article VI. of the VATSIM.net Code of Regulations.

Matt Booker
VATSIM Supervisor | Team 2 Lead

unnamed.png.9c373918856698c30d9103fb632eabff.png[email protected]

Daniel Katz
Posted
Posted

I don't shut down VAT-Spy until I've disconnected and my aircraft no longer appears.

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

When I have landed, shut down the engines, called all my GSX boys over and turned the IRS off... I fully shut down the simulator (with the X in the top right corner of the window no less).

1: This will force the client to disconnect and close.

2: Leaving the Flightsim running keeps the PC running a high performance program, sucking more electricity than if it were running just windows in energy saver mode.

3: FSX and even P3D don't restore all the VAS memory without a full shutdown, so my 'next flight' will have less chance of ending at an OOM/CTD.

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
When I have landed, shut down the engines, called all my GSX boys over and turned the IRS off...

I don't think this is the issue. My read on the original post was that this regarded long-haul flights in which the author leaves the cockpit for extended periods.

My recommendation? Don't do long-haul flights. Personally I mostly fly 1.5 to 2 hour flights where you take off, get to cruise, and immediately start looking at arrival routes & approaches, & anticipating descent instructions. And if I leave the cockpit, it's not more than a couple minutes for a quick visit to the little pilot's room and a refill on the drinks & snacks.

If you want to do a long-haul flight in an empty sky without ATC interaction, I personally don't see the benefit of being connected to VATSIM in the first place unless it's just to accomeulate bogus flight hour stats for bragging rights.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Daniel Katz
Posted
Posted

Oops, my apologies if I incorrectly [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed this was happening at the end of the flight. My bad, Trent.

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

If you want to do a long-haul flight in an empty sky without ATC interaction, I personally don't see the benefit of being connected to VATSIM in the first place unless it's just to accomeulate bogus flight hour stats for bragging rights.

Benefit of being connected to VATSIM! That is a big question.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

• 5 weeks later...
Lorenzo Stobbione 1368867
Posted
Posted

Well, I just completed a long haul flight from Gatwick to NY JFK and I have to say that once you are on a NAT in the correct time window there will not be such a big difference between being online or offline since, not having neither airports nor big opportunities of having unpredicted traffic crossing your way the most probable thing that will happen will be that you will fly constantly with somebody ahead and somebody behind for some hours.

This happened to me recently, I was over the Atlantic and there was a DAL pilot 20mins after me who was doing exactly the same route and every 45mins we were reporting each other just to keep our eyes open

So, in my opinion, with the exception of events, disconnecting on NAT tracks does not make such big difference.

Just a quick off topic question: over the Atlantic, when neither Gander nor Shanwick are online is position reporting compulsory on UNICOM? Yesterday the Atlantic had some pilots over but we were the only ones who were reporting.

Lorenzo Stobbione

P1 Rating - VATSIM Online Pilot

P2 Rating - VATSIM Flight Fundamentals

VCI2636.png

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
So, in my opinion, with the exception of events, disconnecting on NAT tracks does not make such big difference.

Just a quick off topic question: over the Atlantic, when neither Gander nor Shanwick are online is position reporting compulsory on UNICOM?

It makes a difference. The airspace is no differerent than any other, it can become active at any moment and you will be required to contact Gander/Shanwick. I don't see the purpose in staying connected if you are AFK for extended periods of time.

You are never required to transmit on UNICOM. When it comes down to it, position reports over the oceans are unnecessary unless you are going to converge with someone at the same altitude/point. And even then I'd just PM them rather than guessing if they are on UNICOM.

Lorenzo Stobbione 1368867
Posted
Posted

It makes a difference. The airspace is no differerent than any other, it can become active at any moment and you will be required to contact Gander/Shanwick. I don't see the purpose in staying connected if you are AFK for extended periods of time.

I agree with you, my opinion is related with the fact that unfortunately Gander and Shanwick are more offline than online (see this topic viewtopic.php?p=424502 - I don't blame anyone, controlling ocean requires really a huge amount of time), therefore disconnecting (and not being AFK and online) from Vatsim while over the ocean in my opinion does not make such a big difference in terms of experience as long as you reconnect before leaving Oceanic boundaries.

Of course, if you want to be as real as it gets while flying long hauls you must not disconnect but that is a different story for a different topic...

About reporting, I've seen on Vatuk https://vatsim.uk/oceanic-procedures/ that position report is required. Maybe it is a matter of doing it only when oceanic is staffed.

Lorenzo Stobbione

P1 Rating - VATSIM Online Pilot

P2 Rating - VATSIM Flight Fundamentals

VCI2636.png

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted

Personally speaking, I stay connected while flying Oceanic even though there may be no controller online. I won't make position reports but I will check for other aircraft in the vicinity using FSCommander and/or TCAS on a longer range.

If I suspect there may be a conflict then I'll either contact the aircraft to see if they're planning any step climb etc that will mitigate the conflict, or I'll adjust my level/speed as appropriate and communicate that on UNICOM.

There's no requirement to broadcast on UNICOM - I don't if my actions won't affect anyone* - however if there are other aircraft that may be affected by your routing, level/speed changes, then it's common courtesy to state these changes on UNICOM so that other can take any action for their own flight as and if necessary.

*e.g. If I'm on Track A and the only other aircraft within 100nm is on Track B, I won't advise a level change - no need, doesn't affect their flight so don't clog up the chat box...

Trevor Hannant

Krikor Hajian
Posted
Posted

Think of it from a controllers perceptive as well; I log on to CZQX (Gander) covering Shanwick as well, and of the 8 pilots in my airspace, 4 disconnect and 2 don't call because they're AFK. IRL, we'd be providing non-radar separation from the second you entered the NAT, we cannot do anything if you don't check in and give position reports. It's also very frustrating as a controller, in both radar and non-radar airspace, when pilots disconnect or don't call when going through your airspace.

At the end of the day, I think it's pretty simple. If you are connected to VATSIM, you should be at the computer and checking VATSpy, vattastic, etc. to see when you enter controlled airspace. Real world, you wouldn't get off the ground at a cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B, D or D airport without talking to controllers, and you wouldn't get up into cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] A airspace either. There is really no point in connecting to VATSIM and then going to bed/walking away for a few hours.

As to your original question, if you're leaving for more than a few minutes I recommend disconnecting. Keep vPilot open (if you use that) and look at the "connect" button in the upper left. If it's blue, you're connected.

Logo.png

Krikor Hajian (HI) - 1283146

Deputy Air Traffic Manager | Instructor

[email protected]

VATUSA ACE Team Member | VATSIM Supervisor

- - - - - - - - - -

BVA is on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube!

GDPR-removed
Posted
Posted

Simply put, VATSIM hates it when AFK pilots use up their server bandwidth. This stuff does cost money, and they want it to be going to pilots who are actually there. Not to mention a controller may come on, in which case you must be able to contact them immediately. That being said, if you're doing a longer flight, make sure you can be there. If you leave for a few minutes here and there in uncontrolled airspace, no big deal. Just make sure you're alive and well more often than not. Upon completion of any flight, just close out your sim, forcing a disconnection from the network.