You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

What do you recommend for Model Matching

Joshua Corbett 1370598

Joshua Corbett 1370598
Posted
Posted

Hey Guys,

Just a quick question, what do people use for model matching?

Josh - Operations Manager

Virgin Virtual - More experience than our name suggests

http://virvirtual.co.uk/

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

vPilot and WOAI are probably the most common. There are lots of other AI packages out there too that you can purchase, but WOAI is a great start.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Krikor Hajian
Posted
Posted

I strongly reccommend the package put together by Ryan Perry, available at http://vpilotai.boards.net/

It has an incredible [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ortment of types and airlines, including new liveries (like SWA and the new Alaska) as well as updated aircraft, such as 737's with the new split scimitar winglets. Plus, it's constantly getting updated.

Logo.png

Krikor Hajian (HI) - 1283146

Deputy Air Traffic Manager | Instructor

[email protected]

VATUSA ACE Team Member | VATSIM Supervisor

- - - - - - - - - -

BVA is on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube!

Jonathan Fong
Posted
Posted
I strongly reccommend the package put together by Ryan Perry, available at http://vpilotai.boards.net/

It has an incredible [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ortment of types and airlines, including new liveries (like SWA and the new Alaska) as well as updated aircraft, such as 737's with the new split scimitar winglets. Plus, it's constantly getting updated.

Agreed. I've been using it for a while now and it hasn't let me down. I also have WOAI models installed as a backup (didn't feel like deleting the lot of them, really) just in case they don't have a specific model.

• 5 months later...
Robert Grant
Posted
Posted

I know this is an older thread but:

Jonathong Fong how do you use both sets of AI in VPilot?

Is this where the priority of vmr files comes into play? If VPilot cant match in file 1 then it will move to file 2 etc?

Dumb question but never had to fidn out previously

Regards

Rob

P1/P2/P3 /C3/ VATAME1 (retired)

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted
I know this is an older thread but:

Jonathong Fong how do you use both sets of AI in VPilot?

Is this where the priority of vmr files comes into play? If VPilot cant match in file 1 then it will move to file 2 etc?

Dumb question but never had to fidn out previously

Yep, That's how it works.

Priority layer 1 will be matched first. then 2 etc.

Say I have 2 model layers, Set A has an older set of liveries for some aircraft, so that a B738 with airline VOZ shows up as red:

vh-voz-virgin-blue-boeing-737-4q8_PlanespottersNet_630771.jpg

Set B is newer with a livery for B738 with airline VOZ showing as white:

vh-yil-virgin-australia-boeing-737-8fewl_PlanespottersNet_780021.jpg?t=1502009763

Set B has no B734 in the VRG livery, but set A has this:

pp-voz-varig-boeing-737-3k9_PlanespottersNet_038887.jpg

Meanwhile set A has B738 for airline QFA showing as

vh-vxm-qantas-boeing-737-838wl_PlanespottersNet_774955.jpg

And set B has B738 for QFA showing up as both the one above, and also several other liveries listed as B738 QFA including

bboxqfa02.jpg

and

Retro.jpg

So if I set up Set A as layer 1, and Set B as layer 2,

Any VOZ B738 looks like

vh-voz-virgin-blue-boeing-737-4q8_PlanespottersNet_630771.jpg

Any VRG B734 looks like pp-voz-varig-boeing-737-3k9_PlanespottersNet_038887.jpg

Any QFA B738 looks like vh-vxm-qantas-boeing-737-838wl_PlanespottersNet_774955.jpg

If we swap them around, so Set B is layer 1 and Set A is layer 2,

Any VOZ B738 looks like

vh-yil-virgin-australia-boeing-737-8fewl_PlanespottersNet_780021.jpg?t=1502009763

Any VRG B734 still looks like pp-voz-varig-boeing-737-3k9_PlanespottersNet_038887.jpg

And if you have 6 QFA B738 aircraft in view, 2 will look like vh-vxm-qantas-boeing-737-838wl_PlanespottersNet_774955.jpg, 2 will look like bboxqfa02.jpg and 2 will look like Retro.jpg

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Robert Grant
Posted
Posted

Thanks Trent. Appreciated.

What AI aircraft do you use for Pilot ?

Regards

Rob

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
And if you have 6 QFA B738 aircraft in view, 2 will look like vh-vxm-qantas-boeing-737-838wl_PlanespottersNet_774955.jpg, 2 will look like bboxqfa02.jpg and 2 will look like Retro.jpg

Just a slight correction here, you won't get any QFA 738s from set A in this example, because you prioritized set B above set A, and set B has a QFA 738, so all 6 will use set B's model.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Robert Grant
Posted
Posted

Ross thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Another question on the same issue:

I am using VPilot AI and I find them to be very good.

However no fictitious airlines are in the database. Our VA (based on a defunct Australian airline YMA) has AI repaints. So if I add these to the Pilot database as a separate rule set, they should show up and all the other airlines will show as well?

Regards

Rob

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

When you say "add them to the pilot database" I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you mean you will be creating a custom .vmr file and adding that file to the model matching settings in vPilot. That is what you need to do. Your VA may already have such a file if it has its own repaints.

Robert Grant
Posted
Posted

Thanks Ross. That is precisely what I meant.

I have run VMR Generator, corrected all the errors and made a custom rule set. I have added that to Pilot as the top priority file. Tested it just now. Other airlines are showing correctly. Ill have to wait till some of our guys are online to test the custom file.

Regards

Rob

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Okay, just so you know, VMRGenerator is no longer necessary with vPilot 2.0, because it automatically scans your sim configuration files to see what models you have installed. It won't hurt anything to use VMRGenerator, since the custom vmr file that it generates will be used before vPilot's auto-generated rules are used (because custom VMR files always take higher priority over auto-generated rules) but it's not necessary.

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

Just a slight correction here, you won't get any QFA 738s from set A in this example, because you prioritized set B above set A, and set B has a QFA 738, so all 6 will use set B's model.

Set B has 3 different models, all of which are QFA 738's. - 1 normal livery and 2 special liverys.

Set A has 1 model for QFA 738 (plain normal livery)

Set B is prioritized above set A, so the model it will use is not the plain normal livery from set A, but the "ALL variants at random" 3 liveries from set B. Hence if you log in and find 6 QFA 738's sitting at the gate, 2 will be normal, and the other 4 will be "special liveries"

I had to delete the special liveries to stop having 3 or 4 "Yananyi Dreaming" 737's any time there was a Qantas Virtual event on (There was only ever 1, and currently 0 in that livery in the real world)

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Ahh, I see what you mean ... then yes, you will get some variation of those three, but it won't be an even distribution. vPilot chooses one of the available liveries at random each time, it does not take into account any previous random selections. You could get all 6 with the same livery.

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted
Ahh, I see what you mean ... then yes, you will get some variation of those three, but it won't be an even distribution. vPilot chooses one of the available liveries at random each time, it does not take into account any previous random selections. You could get all 6 with the same livery.

Thanks for the clarification.

Would the best way to reduce this to just 2 options be to delete the other liveries?

My current way has been to take all the QFA liveries I have available, and over-write several of them to bias "normal livery" as 3 or 4 separate entries, and 1 as one of the special liveries. If I used offline AI I might be unhappy at this, but since I don't, no harm.

qfafin.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

If you don't want to use a given livery, just uncheck its box in the advanced model matching settings. If you want to weight the randomness, then one way to do that would be to create a custom VMR file and for the QFA B738 rule, repeat the model names that you want to use more often. E.g.:

<ModelMatchRule CallsignPrefix="QFA" TypeCode="B738" ModelName="MODEL1//MODEL1//MODEL1//MODEL2//MODEL3//MODEL4" />

This example would weight MODEL1 three times heavier than the other three.

Robert Grant
Posted
Posted
Okay, just so you know, VMRGenerator is no longer necessary with vPilot 2.0, because it automatically scans your sim configuration files to see what models you have installed. It won't hurt anything to use VMRGenerator, since the custom vmr file that it generates will be used before vPilot's auto-generated rules are used (because custom VMR files always take higher priority over auto-generated rules) but it's not necessary.

So are you telling me I can delete any custom rules I have and VPilot will manage itself? (sorry Ross but this stuff is still a bit of a mystery to me )

Regards

Rob

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

So are you telling me I can delete any custom rules I have and VPilot will manage itself? (sorry Ross but this stuff is still a bit of a mystery to me )

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying VMRGenerator is not needed because vPilot 2.x has its own rule generator. If you have custom rule sets that you made yourself, you'll still want to use those.

Robert Grant
Posted
Posted

Got it. Thanks again for your time. Appreciated

Regards

Rob