You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

headset recommendation

Robert Bressert

Robert Bressert
Posted
Posted

I'd like to upgrade my $19.95 headset, however, as I have done some research it is almost impossible to determine what might be the best one for me. So, I am asking the Vatsim community to help me out. So many options, USB, wireless, etc.

So, what say ye? Any recommendations, and if you do have one, why?

Thanks in advance for helping!

Robert Bressert
Posted
Posted

BTW, I'm looking to spend $50-$80.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

ive personally never tried wireless, so cant advise you there. been tempted a few times, but my experience with wireless mice has been mixed, so just going off that, i havent tried those. been just as tempted with wireless keyboards. on that same question though, do they make wireless headsets that you can recharge on the PC? or just have to invest in large stock piles of batteries lol. I love my new wireless mouse for this reason alone, i can charge it via the PC's USB instead of all my previous wireless mice that constantly needed new batteries.

as far as corded, USB or standard plug is just fine these days, you can buy a little USB adapter for about $5 thatll give your standard headset the ability to plug into the USB and get the same options USB will help divide your sound, keeping your sim sounds on your speakers and voice on the headset for much clearer comms.

i currently use a turtle beach gaming recon headset. its the earmuff style headset. works great, and the mic boom is detachable, can even hook up separate mics to it if you wanted to. cost me about $50 at bestbuy. i use a USB adapter from an old logitech headset i had to hook it up to the USB.

if you dont like the earmuff style headsets, there are others out there. not tried those other then a logitech i previously had and a plantronics i had.

the logitech so far was the second most expensive headset i had, but after a few years and not being very careful with it, it broke, literally fell apart lol that one was about $80 at bestbuy. but too delicate if you have little ones around.

the plantronics i have is the H31 st[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t. pretty much the same one many real controllers user. you have to buy a USB adapter for it. each were about $70 online, so came out around $140'ish. again, very delicate headset if you have little ones around. but works great if you take care of it. only con i had with it is the tube picks up all the background noise, which for VATSIM is no bueno as the vatsim codec doesnt like background noise. they dp sell a version of the headset with a muffed boom, might be better

Robert Bressert
Posted
Posted

Ernesto,

Thanks for the advice. I was out today so I stopped by Best Buy and bought the Turtle Beach Recon set and I'm using them right now. Love them! Thanks again.

Christopher Flett 1349312
Posted
Posted

I've got a set of Hyper X Furys. Absolutely awesome headset. Very comfortable to wear and the sound quality is top notch. The best thing also is they look similar to an Aviation Headset which for Vatsim works out well.

22.png