You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Status of Abidjan FIR (DIII)

Christoph Reule 1379750

Christoph Reule 1379750
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I recently noticed on SkyVector that Abidjan FIR (DIII) doesn't seem to exist anymore (covered by Dakar Terrestric & Oceanic).

Can someone confirm this (the website for VATAFR is not available)?

Thanks in advance!

Christoph Reule 1379750
Posted
Posted

No info about this?

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

According to my JeppView area charts this FIR is shown as GOOO FIR, but communications are still called "Abidjan Control". But I am not there that often that I can give you a definitive answer how it is done at VATSIM.

Christoph Reule 1379750
Posted
Posted

Found this: http://www.ais-asecna.org/pdf/enr/2-enr/enr2-1/00enr2-1-03.pdf

In this docomeent from ASECNA (Agence pour la sécurité de la navigation aérienne en Afrique et à Madagascar) itself the following ATC units within Dakar FIR (GOOO) are listed:

• FIS Abidjan
  • FIS Bamako
  • FIS Nouakchott

In reality, all three "parts" are providing information service. But since both Bamako and Nouakchott FIS are merged with Dakar (checked in VATSpy and Vattastic) I'm not really sure why Abidjan should still be displayed as separate "sector".

Christoph Reule 1379750
Posted
Posted
JeppView shows for the Abidjan FIR not only Abidjan FIS, but also Abidjan Control, which is more than just FIS.

You can do one thing: ask these guys for more info, they may know: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=73490

I'll try to contact them. Thanks!

Matthew McEwen
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm not sure if this is contributing much new, but I hope this provides some clarity:

There is no such thing as "Abidjan FIR" in the strictest sense, rather a sector of Dakar FIR which is delegated to Abidjan ACC.

The airspace in the sector is cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] G from SFC-FL245 and cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] A from FL245-UNL, and service (control and information) is administered by Abidjan ACC on VHF 129.1 and various HF frequencies, regardless of airspace cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts].

There is also an Abidjan sector of the Dakar Oceanic FIR, in which Dakar ACC provides control and information on the same HF frequencies as its overland sector.

Specific to VATSIM, the GOOO and AFRN_FSS sectorfiles I have, although they were last updated in 2012 have DIII_CTR "Abidjan Control" on 129.1, and an VATNAF SOP for Dakar FIR that was written in 06/2016 (which may very well have been superseded, only my VATNAF counterparts can confirm that) has GOOO_A_CTR "Abidjan Control" on 129.1.

Hope this helps, and although I'm not an VATNAF member I am familiar with the area and am more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

Cheers

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Matt/Memet
C3 Senior Controller
Indonesia vACC - VATSIM South East Asia
Co-Founder of Garuda Virtual
gv_signature.png.ab75c890d06ff0fea8a77abf3bf2604a.png

Christoph Reule 1379750
Posted
Posted

Hi Matthew,

thanks for these quite detailed information!

If any other questions arise I'll for sure come back to you.

• 7 months later...
Mehdi Naguib
Posted
Posted

You may contact our ATC director for North Africa for clarifications at [email protected]

Mehdi NAGUIB (1350202)

http://www.royalairmarocvirtual.com

0.png

• 1 year later...
Matthew McEwen
Posted
Posted
Hi Matthew,

thanks for these quite detailed information!

If any other questions arise I'll for sure come back to you.

Just a quick update.

Abidjan is still a sector of Dakar FIR, but Abidjan Control now logs on as DIII_CTR. Sectorfiles can be found at http://files.aero-nav.com/GOOO

Matt/Memet
C3 Senior Controller
Indonesia vACC - VATSIM South East Asia
Co-Founder of Garuda Virtual
gv_signature.png.ab75c890d06ff0fea8a77abf3bf2604a.png