You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Sector file loading error after updating

John Cardiff

John Cardiff
Posted
Posted

After updating to the latest Euroscope by pasting the new files over the old ones in C:\Program Files (x86)\EuroScope, there were all sorts of errors to do with having to redo the settings in "Setting Files setup".

I can't sort out this one though when starting Euroscope:

http://www.vatsim-uk.co.uk/files/sector/esad/UK_2017_04.7z downloaded.

Error: Neither SCT nor SCT2 file is found after extracting the 7z

Last time this happened I cured it by reinstalling completely (and all the settings again).

Is there a way of curing the problem without reinstalling?

Thanks

John

Phillip Speer
Posted
Posted

Hi John,

How are you extracting the 7z? I've just clicked your link and opened the 7z using 7-Zip. The ese and sct were both present.

Phillip

VATSIM UK Divisional Instructor

John Cardiff
Posted
Posted

I don't open it myself, the error is shown on the bottom text line when Euroscope starts.

It seems to be something to do with the program not knowing the path to docomeents\euroscope\ which I have to insert in front of every file in the "setting files setup" (after the updating bit) - unless I do complete reinstall.

Thanks.

Phillip Speer
Posted
Posted

You will need to extract the .7z and place the files in .../Docomeents/Euroscope/UK/Data/Settings. Euroscope will open the files sct and ese contained but not the 7z itself.

Phillip

VATSIM UK Divisional Instructor

John Cardiff
Posted
Posted

Thanks Philip but after extracting the files I still get the same message:

http://www.vatsim-uk.co.uk/files/sector ... 2017_04.7z downloaded.

Error: Neither SCT nor SCT2 file is found after extracting the 7z

Cheers

John

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

The path to your ES docomeents is set in the shortcut you use to start ES. Right click the shortcut and select 'properties'. Look under 'Start in' and check the path points to where you have installed the UK controller pack.

The error on start up looks like you have ticked the option for auto download of the UK sector file and that's not working. If you have the 2017/04 version of the controller pack, it contains the latest sector file already. You can ignore the error or deselect the 'A' option in Euroscope's Sectorfile Download dialog.

Copying the new executables and pasting over the old ones shouldn't have affected any of the path settings though as far as I can see.

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

John Cardiff
Posted
Posted

Thank you Michael, I will look into it. Looks useful.

John

Jonas Kuster
Posted
Posted

This error message may be missleading as it only indicates a subsequent problem. The sct and ese file couldn't be found at the position where the integrated unzipper of ES thought they will be. This problem is usually related to the extraction path. The program folder and its subfolders including its content can normally only be changed with admin rights. If you didn't configure ES especially, this program has not generally admin rights and so cannot write or unzip any files to the program folder. This also shouldn't be necessary. I suggest you to separate program files and program data files. Your data files for ES (sct/ese, including all setting files) should be at a place like "users/yourname/EuroScope/ICAO". Then just ensure this path is also set in the ES downloader. Writing access for this folder shouldn't be a problem and everything should work fine.

If you want to have the data files within the program folder, using ES with explicit admin rights should solve the issue as well.

Jonas Kuster
Network Supervisor
Leader Operation vACC Switzerland | vacc.ch @vaccswitzerland
GNG Support Team | gng.aero-nav.com
ES Plugin Developer | CCAMS

Mark Walsh
Posted
Posted

Sounds like your compression for your files. When you 7z the files, use normal compression.

Mark Walsh

Vatsim Network Supervisor

John Cardiff
Posted
Posted

Thanks Jonas.

I gave up and deleted all the ES program and data (saving the configuration stuff), and reinstalled it. This time, to update it, carefully replaced the files in the program folder as instructed.

Using the same ES link to start it, it is now working. I think what I did before was to make a desktop link to ES program in the program file folder. In the old days you could edit the link to tell it where to start.

Anyway, now all is well

John

John Cardiff
Posted
Posted

Thanks mark.

I don't compress anything. The 7z zip file is downloaded automatically from Vatsim I think. The problem was it appears it didn't have the correct path to where to unzip it to.

Cheers

John