You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

[Feature Request] "VFR" in altitude selection

Christoph Reule 1379750

Christoph Reule 1379750
Posted
Posted

Hi Ross,

I would like to ask you whether it's possible to include the "VFR" tag in the altitude selection when filing a flight plan within vPilot in any of the next updates.

I think this would be a real enhancement for all VFR pilots on VATSIM.

Lindsey Wiebe 1101951
Posted
Posted

I don't think it's necessary, VFR could be anywhere from 0 feet to 17,999 ft. In Canada at least, when a pilot is operating at more than 3,000 feet above the surface, they are to fly at an altitude appropriate for their direction of flight. Airplanes flown VFR at 3,000 or less AGL are not required to fly at any particular cruising altitude. So if you are flying low level could just put in 3,500 or 2,500 so ATC at least knows you don't intend to fly any higher. But you could fly any aircraft higher and ATC wants to know if they need to keep an eye on you mixing with higher aircraft. It's more a of a courtesy than anything else.

I always file a VFR flight plan even when my VA is doing short low hops around using C185's. We are almost always outside controlled airspace but at least a controller can click my info and know what or what not to expect.

BUT maybe could have a < 3,000 option for low level?

Mr.

VATSIM P2

Nick Warren
Posted
Posted (edited)

Reference to the other discussion, I am rather neutral on this. That said, I would support the option of having a "VFR" option as an altitude as it doesn't hurt anything. But that said, I still question the overall logic behind it. I'll use real world here, and as I need to preface with, in the US.

If I'm just out flying around boring holes in the sky, I will vary my altitude quite a bit. That said, in doing so, I'm generally monitoring but not talking to ATC, and I certainly do not file a flight plan for it. However, this would be the part where having a "VFR" altitude statement would be more applicable, but again, why would I even have a FP established?

If I'm flying cross country, I'm more inclined to have somewhat of a fixed VFR altitude for comfort, winds, efficiency, etc. And I'm going to moderately follow some established route. This is where a flight plan is applicable as if I turn up overdue or missing, they have some idea of where to go searching for me. But here, why the need for a unspecified "VFR" altitude? Now if, per say I want to deviate from route or altitude, I certainly can provided I'm not in Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B airspace, or other controlled airspace under specific ATC instruction. If talking to ATC outside of those circomestances, I will advise them of my deviation as a courtesy or if they have specifically requested me to do so. But overall, my original intentions remain intact.

So, my thoughts is, sure, put it in as an option, but for me, one doesn't generally corrolate with the other being having an established FP or flying around at varying altitudes. It's kind of like filing a VFR flight plan for VFR pattern practice. There is no point or reason.

Nick

Edited by Guest

Nick Warren
Posted
Posted
Well, as VFR you normally do not fill in an altitude, but simply the letters "VFR".

I think the point is, that the option to enter "VFR" is not currently available in the client.

Otherwise, I respectfully disagree in that if you are filing a VFR flight plan utilizing it for what it's intended for (cross country flying), one should have an altitude attached. If communicating with ATC, the controller is going to, or should ask for your altitude request. It can be changed and ammended during the flight by either side noting provisions I stated in my post above.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Nope, when I fly VFR in the real world and I file a flightplan, I will NOT enter an altitude, because I simply do not know whether I'll be cruising at 2500ft or at FL95 and I want to change altitude/level whenever I wish without advising. Normally I enter "VFR" in the fields "Requested Level" and "Route", since I will be flying VFR... of course this is applicable to Germany. And if crossing a national border one needs to enter some navigation point or reference. I know, it is all regional, so we should try to allow all of it.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

always interesting how things work around the globe

for me, in the US, my instructor always recommended to just put whatever is the highest altitude i "could" fly for the flight. ATC isnt going to see it anyway as they wont get a strip print out for it, BUT if something does happen during my flight and they do pull my flightplan, the search pattern will/should get wider, giving me a little room to play with.

putting "VFR" in the altitude box on this side of the pond isnt accepted, as far as i remember, until ICAO format is also used for VFR here anyway i guess.