You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Departures from Gatwick

Thimo Koolen

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

Hello all,

Gatwick is one of my favorite airports in the UK to fly in/out from and the ATC is always wonderful. I have a question regarding the departures out of this airport.

Sometimes after departure, Gatwick Tower hands us over to Gatwick Approach, sometimes to London Control / UNICOM. What determines if an aircraft is switched to any of those? I wasn't able to find a pattern so far.

spacer.png

ACCNL4 (Training Director) - Dutch VACC

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

It depends simply on the next position being staffed. If none exist then its off to unicom.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

So if both London Control and Gatwick Approach are online, its Approach and thereafter Control. If only Approach is only, it's immediately Unicom?

spacer.png

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Generally it's (from top to bottom):

CTR

APP/DEP

TWR

GND

DEL

The higher positions can cover those below so for example CTR could cover all positions down to GND and therefore give you your clearance but TWR couldn't give you vectors in the absence of APP or DEP.

In your case APP covers you from start to handing you over to CTR or from being handed from CTR all the way to the gate.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Phillip Speer
Posted
Posted

Most the departures from Gatwick will go straight to CTR from TWR (if online), the exception being the SFD9P which will go to APP. At Gatwick, APP predominantly only handles arrivals (the SFD9P crosses the arrival stream hence going to APP). If CTR isn't online then APP will handle departures initiallly.

Phillip

VATSIM UK Divisional Instructor

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the answers. That makes sense.

spacer.png