You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VFR Denied

Sean Harrison

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Of all days, and all the excellent experiences before today, why do we need to deny pilots from taking off because they want to go VFR?

I believe we need to be more enabling than disabling activity. Sorry this today upset me, and I'm sure I'll get over it.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

This is not the appropriate place to post. Leave feedback on the controller, and wallop them if they actually deny you from departing. Simple as that.

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Sorry, I should add some detail for those that want to judge.

Major Airport with no inbound acft for >100Nm, one just departed, only one other acft on the ground. Weather was fine and clear. Single runway airport. VFR Lockheed Hudson, memorial ANZAC flight between two great countries NZ and AUS. FL240 planned to be OCTA in Oceanic area. A16-123 of RAAF.

'You cannot have a clearance."

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted
This is not the appropriate place to post. Leave feedback on the controller, and wallop them if they actually deny you from departing. Simple as that.

Who decides what is appropriate? You!

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted

I believe i was the Center controller online when this flight was performed out of Auckland (NZAA). The tower controller (i will not name) was wrong and you had every right to perform that flight, as i think i said to you in between talking to other aircraft. I will follow up.

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief
Vancouver FIR Senior Instructor

Visit us: https://ganderoceanic.ca

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Thanks Matthew for making the public correction.

My memory of what you said online is different, but I'm already over it. Thanks,

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

this would fall under the denial of service clause and is a no no to controllers. doesnt matter if the weather is IFR, etc..

accepting pattern work is one thing, simply not letting you depart. big big no no on the ATC side to do.

take screenshots and ATC info, report it to the division. if its the same character that likes to close airports (hope not) some still have learning to do

Joshua Black
Posted
Posted
Sorry, I should add some detail for those that want to judge.

...FL240 planned to be OCTA in Oceanic area. A16-123 of RAAF

Correct me if I'm wrong but being at FL240 would place you in Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] A airspace which normally doesn't allow for VFR flight... unless it's different in that area of the world.

I've encountered many pilots on the network trying to fly VFR in the flight levels and are disappointed when I tell them not above 17,500 or submit an IFR flight plan. It's amazing how few pilots (and even controllers) on the network know how to handle a VFR flight properly.

Joshua Black

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted

In NZ, there is no restriction on what altitude VFR pilots can fly. You could fly a p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]enger aircraft VFR in NZ. We as controllers are highly trained to handle these situations too.

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief
Vancouver FIR Senior Instructor

Visit us: https://ganderoceanic.ca

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo

David Zhong
Posted
Posted

Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] A OCA exists above FL245 in the Auckland Oceanic FIR, so VFR flights aren't permitted. Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] G exists below FL245.

Joshua, you will find that even for the US, Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] A OCA exists above FL55 in the Oakland Oceanic FIR. The continental Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] A floor level of FL180 is not universal.

David Zhong

Joshua Black
Posted
Posted

Joshua, you will find that even for the US, Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] A OCA exists above FL55 in the Oakland Oceanic FIR. The continental Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] A floor level of FL180 is not universal.

Which is precisely why I was cautious with the answer I gave and requested clarification.

Joshua Black