You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

How To Update Waypoints For FSX Please?

Aharon Dayan

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

My new laptop is doing well with FSX Deluxe with SP1 and SP2 set in Windows 10 Professional operating system.

I have question about waypoints.

I have been flying on FSX Deluxe with SP1 and SP2 for almost 10 years also via Vatsim using FSX's old original waypoints and LATELY, I notice that many current flight plans have new waypoints that cannot be found on FSX Deluxe with SP1 and SP2 especially in Western Europe.

So my question is where can I find and download updated and latest waypoints for installation on FSX to update all waypoints please?

How can I do it without without screwing up FSX or causing silly FSX crashes, please?

Thanks,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

First result

Herve's software works like a charm without any issues. I would recommend making a backup just in case (using the software).

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Thanks, Josh

The update looks too complex and tough for me. I do not want to screw up my FSX.

Once again, thanks

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

If you use Herve's update and you also use the default FSX flightplanner there is a slight chance, and Herve even mentions this possibility on his site, that after installation the default flightplanner will cease to work.

So it could be misleading to say...

works like a charm without any issues

I use the flightplanner when I fly using Celestial Navigation so I can print out a map of the flight path to log shots on, so I chose not to install any of his updates for either FS9 or FSX. That's just me. Others may notice nothing at all or never use the planner.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Nick Warren
Posted
Posted
Thanks, Josh

The update looks too complex and tough for me. I do not want to screw up my FSX.

Once again, thanks

Aharon

I'm struggling to see the complex nature of the add on. Create a folder under addon scenery and call it navupdate. Then under that folder create another folder called scenery. So it looks something like c:\fsx\addon scenery\navupdate\scenery. Place the update .bgl's in that folder. Activate in FSX scenery library. If it doesn't work for you or causes issues, deactivate and delete. Safer than having something else modify your software out of your control.

Lindsey Wiebe 1101951
Posted
Posted

Wouldn't that create duplicate waypoints? One from original file and then one from the new folder?

Mr.

VATSIM P2

Nick Warren
Posted
Posted

Yes, in that case it would. The other option would be to backup and overwrite the existing which would not pose the duplicates issue except in add on scenery areas where waypoimts are added.

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Thanks all for kind advices I will avoid the installation as it can pose problems. I will try to survive without new waypoints.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Aharon, I strongly suggest you try it. In my opinion, there is little risk of issues (I've been using it for years), and if there were any issues, it is very easy to undo. For such a small risk (and an easy reversion), and for such a significant reward, I would suggest it's worth at least trying.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

I go with Don. You cannot do any permanent damage to your FS, just create a backup first.

Aharon, are you using the FlightPlanner that is part of FSX at all? If no, then there is no risk of damage, since it won't affect your experience.

Markus Schober 1328585
Posted
Posted

There would also be the option of manually (or automatically) creating an XML file containing the desired navaids which then can be compiled using the tools that come with FSX. The output will be a BGL file that can be added to the add-on scenery folder.

This of course is only feasible if we are talking about not too many navaids or if the data is readily available for automatic processing.

I did this to add fixes, NDB and VOR stations to the regions I regularly fly in without the risk of breaking the flight planner.

Over the time, there are now about 250 navaids added this way by manually entering information from charts.

If anyone is interested in this, let me know and I will try to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist.

Markus

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Don, Andreas, and Markus,

Thanks for suggestions.

Aharon, are you using the FlightPlanner that is part of FSX at all?

Yes always hence me being reluctant to install the update of new waypoints. I love using flightplanner and follow waypoints on GPS. Using GPS is very instrumental in helping me identifying and describing all screenshots that I take during flights.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png