You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

BIG THANKS FOR THE GREAT NIGHT :)

Jan Buchwald 813988

Jan Buchwald 813988
Posted
Posted

I would like to thank all controlers who were on duty tonight in Egypt/Israel/Cyprus FIR.

I really liked the control of our new friends from Egypt FIR (I flew from Larnaca to Hugharda as LOT037) and I hope to soon see/meet them again (I didn't have time to visit Cairo tonight - so I hope that soon there will be another ocasion for it;)

Great Job Guys!

Sean

Shadi Abo Ahmad 812866
Posted
Posted

VATSIM,

"MidEast Nights" was a big success!

I would like also to thank Ali for preparing the visiting controllers and for his great work as Cairo approach.

Also the wonderfull visiting controllers from Swiss FIR: Raffael as HECA tower, Florian as HEGN tower, Alexander as HEGN approach. Opher for taking my place as Cairo center and Ilan (VATAME1) for taking over Cairo airspace during second shift! THANK YOU

Another warm thank you goes for VATIL pilots and controllers for their support all the way, it was a pleasure having you online last night!

And of course Mr. Martin Georg for standing behind the event and doing a wonderful job in public relations.

Last but not least, the pilots! Austrian, Scandinavian, ELAL, Germany Air, British, American, Turkish, Arkia, Aztek, Malev, Hapag-Lloyd, Eurowings, EgyptAir, Southwestern, LTU, AltAir, Eurotrans, Lufthansa, Seagul, UPS, KenyaAir, JapanAir (sorry if I missed any, there were so many ) and of course all private pilots flying IFR and VFR.

THANK YOU! You made our day!

Shadi Abo Ahmad

VATAME - VATIL

Ali Abou-Zeid
Posted
Posted
Also the wonderfull visiting controllers from Swiss FIR: Raffael as HECA tower, Florian as HEGN tower, Alexander as HEGN approach

Just for correction:

From SwissFIR we had Raffael Walther (SwissFIR Director) as Cairo Tower

From FIRWien we had Alexander Arlow as Hurghada Radar (HEGN_APP) and Florian Leeber as Hurghada Tower

Thanks guys for helping in the event.

Martin, I can't stop thanking you

Also, I personally would like to thank Raffael Walther, he's the one who taught me all my ATC knowledge and got me into this, I only planned to control Zurich Ground and that's it.

Thanks guys!

Ali Abou-Zeid

866739.jpg

What Centreline??

Sameh Saeed Gabali 910524
Posted
Posted

I knew everyone would have a great time because of the awesome organizers.

Even thought I missed out on a great night.anywhooo.

Thanks Shadi, Thanks Ali .

Ali I would really love to fly over my motherland, but I had to get up 05:30 am to go to work, I start 07:00 am, but if it was in the weekend I’ll definitely make it.

I would’ve loved to see some beauties on Hurgada Beach.

Dave Wild
Posted
Posted

Shadi I'm pleased the event was a success, you deserved it, I'm not sure but suspect you normally don't get heavy traffic around Egypt.

I flew from LGAV to HEGN (one of our VA's regular holiday routes), first time I had flown into Egypt, and was pleased to have had ATC all the way.

Special thanks to whoever was on first shift at Cairo Ctr as well as HEGN app.

I also feel for the guy who took over Cairo Ctr for the second shift, at least he had the courage to admit he couldn't cope rather than try to muddle through and get everyone in a mess. It must be very unnerving to see 45 aircraft if you are only used to a handfull. Sir, you have my admiration for being honest and I hope those above provide you the support to face the scope again next time there is a fly-in.

That event did cause me a few sweaty palms as I was about 5nm from the end of my flight plan and still at FL390 and was about to go into a hold at SEMRU but was told to descend to FL100 DCT HEGN. HEGN did a brilliant job of getting me down considering I am used to flying with charts and SIDs & STARs (I had not visited this forum to see the post about no such things in Egypt)

I appologise to HEGN APP for missing the ILS, for some reason I get no ILS for 34 on 110.30 but luckily it was clear and flying in daylight I could ask for visual approach.

Oh, I also had my first TCAS scare whilst in the Cairo area. DLH005 going in the opposite direction at FL390, he p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed to my starboard while I was still transfixed by the TCAS warning, thank goodness it is only a sim

All that was missing was a freeware update to the default HEGN airport.

Thanks for an enjoyable couple of hours.

BCA01

Alexander Arlow 893829
Posted
Posted

hi guys,

first of all let me thank ali and the vatame-team for this great opportunity, it was an awesome experience! an then i have to thank all the pilots who visited hurghada yesterday, please forgive any inconvenience, since i controlled there for the very first time, but i hope you all had a pleasant evening!

ASRC-Screenshots will come tonight, when i have cut them to an acceptable size

@ali and shadi: it was fantastic working with you, if you need guest controllers again, please let me know, it would be an honour!

greetings from vienna

Alex (HEGN_APP)

edit: @dave: thank you very much, if you visit LOWW or LOWI in the future, you may ask for a visual anytime

edit2:

some screens from hegn_app

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Ilan Jonas 860311
Posted
Posted

Just found some spare time to write too... First of all, a big thanks to all organizers and participants, you did great!

I was the poor guy who took over Cairo after Opher "resigned": Opher is one of Vatil best controllers, and he brings in lots of real world experience (I mean LOTS OF). His exerience led him to the correct conclusion that it is impossible for a single controller to work Cairo Center alone - this is a position divided into 4 sectors in the real world (to my best knowledge - Ali, correct me if i'm wrong). The sector is simply too big and you can't see a thing. It was then when I dived in, just to see that Opher was right: It was impossible! ASRC will not allow you to see anything under these conditions. Add to that the fact that I was connected to a laggy server (2 guys almost colided and I saw them 10 nm apart!) and the scary fact that I never ever worked or flew Cairo and don't know a single fix in this area and you get the picture

Anyway, I am qualified to work with very busy traffic in the real world, so I made it finally somehow (after switching servers , thanks to LOT337 for the idea). This was a terrible shift, I could hardly work (and speak understandable English) and I knew it would happen, but I thought that it would be better than leaving you all stranded in the sky...

It was a first big event in Egypt, and many more will follow. We learned a lot of good lessons (did I mention dividing HECC_CTR?), and we will host you all again soon enough!

Happy new year everyone, see you soon!

Ilan Jonas

Ilan Jonas

Senior Instructor-I3

Former Vatsim Africa/Middle East Region Director(2004-2012)

http://www.vatame.net

Ali Abou-Zeid
Posted
Posted
this is a position divided into 4 sectors in the real world (to my best knowledge - Ali, correct me if i'm wrong)

I'm not sure about it, I didn't real the whole AIP lol. However, I have a single chart, showing sub FIR 1, sub FIR2, sub FIR3 and sub FIR4. So, I think that's what you mean. I'll look more into it

@ Alex, it's pleasure to have you control with us last night. Was fun, sure will let you know of following events

@ Sameh, ma3lesh, next time we'll make a fly-in for you. Walla tez3al ya basha

Ali Abou-Zeid

866739.jpg

What Centreline??

Jan Buchwald 813988
Posted
Posted
(after switching servers , thanks to LOT337 for the idea)

You're welcome, Sir Though it was LOT037 not LOT337 I'm sure that next time when Cairo Center will be divided into a few parts it will be much better!

Sean

Dave Wild
Posted
Posted
dave: thank you very much, if you visit LOWW or LOWI in the future, you may ask for a visual anytime

Is there any other way at LOWI Alex You can rest [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ured I will be visiting LOWI during our winter schedule, you have been warned

I have found out why I could not geet the locaiser at HEGN. I used the AFCAD2 files available from the Middle East site and I think there was a conflict with the default NAVAIDs. I had the same problem at LGAV Rwy 03 and am still trying to resolve the problem.

Ilan, thanks for the explanation of Cairo Ctr. I was going to depart HEGN back to LGAV but decided not to add to the traffic and it was getting late here. I look forward to the next event when Cairo will be divided, a part of the World our VA flies to but that was the first time I have made the trip.

Oren Geva 825051
Posted
Posted

I already put my thanks at the fly-in forum, so forgive me for just quoting myself...

Folks.

I have just landed in Hurghada on my UPS007 flight from Ben Gurion airport.

I think this has been one of the best events I have participated in.

Cheers to VATMEA.

Here are some pictures:

ASRC by Elad Zeierman

01.jpg

ASRC by Itay Zecharia.

ASRC1.jpg

Now my pictures -

Servinfo:

04.jpg

19.jpg

21.jpg

And three pictures from my flight:

Pushback at LLBG.

06.jpg

Over the Red Sea, p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing two Beechcrafts flying VFR from LLET to HEGN.

27.jpg

Final at HEGN.

38.jpg

All in all this has a great event for me.

I would like to thank on behalf of VATIL staff, pilots and controllers to everybody who contributed - Ilan and Shadi from VATMEA; Kobi, Izik and Or form VATIL; Ali Abu-Zied, who took HACA_APP.

Of course Martin Georg and his VACC-SAG controllers; All pilots and controllers who participated.

Great job guys!

142.png

Sameh Saeed Gabali 910524
Posted
Posted

I just got back from a new year's holiday.

how's everyone going? Ali is there any chance of flying soon!

Sameh Gabali

Ali Abou-Zeid
Posted
Posted

Ù

Ali Abou-Zeid

866739.jpg

What Centreline??