You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Feature request: Headset to Speaker Audio

Wybe Witteveen 1236692

Wybe Witteveen 1236692
Posted
Posted

Hello developers and fellow vPilot users,

As I run my flightsim audio through my speakers and my VATSIM voice through my headset during departure and arrival, I have to switch vPilot's audio output setting from my headset to my speakers during cruise, and back again during the descent. (As is often done in real life) Would it be possible to add a little toggle switch on the main UI to switch between two pre-determined audio devices to make this process a little more seamless?

I would love to hear what the devs think of this.

Regards

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

kinda similar to how FSINN had its intercom.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

This is something that has been requested once or twice in the past, but I haven't gotten the sense that it's a feature a lot of users would benefit from, so I haven't added it. I've made a note of the request though.

Ernesto, how does FSInn's intercom feature work?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Wybe Witteveen 1236692
Posted
Posted
This is something that has been requested once or twice in the past, but I haven't gotten the sense that it's a feature a lot of users would benefit from, so I haven't added it. I've made a note of the request though.

Ernesto, how does FSInn's intercom feature work?

I can't speak for how the FSInn intercom used to work, as I never used that feature. I'm hopeful to see it implemented in vPilot someday, however!

• 4 weeks later...
Robert-Jan Oosterloo 85407
Posted
Posted

It works like this in FSInn

To start, there are 3 sound devices to configure, not just for headset and microphone, but also for speakers:

fsinn-sounddevices.PNG

Then there is a little floating voicepanel, where you can select which com radio to use, and also to route the voice output over the speakers instead of the headset.

fsinn-com1-headset-only.PNG

If you click on the little speaker next to com1 (the left one), it will route the voice output over the speakers.

fsinn-com1-headset-plus-speaker.PNG

I also think that's a very handy feature, if you need to step away for a few seconds and put your headset down. But you will still hear the controller calling you.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Not that this is a scientifically representative sampling method of determining the level of support, but, I'll jump onto the bandwagon as another who would be elated to see this feature.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Couldn't you just switch the audio device in vPilot's settings? Sure, it would take 5 mouse clicks rather than 1, but that still doesn't seem too bad.

• 3 years later...
Shane Morgan
Posted
Posted

I hate to resurrect a 4-year-old post, but I want to vote up this feature as well. Once things quiet down in the climb, I switch FS2Crew off headset with a voice command "I'm going on headset"/"I'm going to speaker". It would be nice to have a feature to tie vPilot audio output changes to a key command or, as would be most useful to myself, a specified LVAR. I'd be interested if I could set the LVAR for the PMDG 737NGX SPKR button to toggle it. Perhaps name two outputs in settings for Headset and for Speaker.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The ability to easily toggle between two different output devices is already on the wish list.

As for LVARs, they are not accessible via SimConnect, so that level of integration probably won't happen. If/when I add the output device toggle feature, I could add a SimConnect custom client event to trigger it, and then someone could write a module that watches the PMDG LVAR and raises that event.

• 1 month later...
Shane Morgan
Posted
Posted
On 4/11/2021 at 9:09 PM, Ross Carlson said:

The ability to easily toggle between two different output devices is already on the wish list.

As for LVARs, they are not accessible via SimConnect, so that level of integration probably won't happen. If/when I add the output device toggle feature, I could add a SimConnect custom client event to trigger it, and then someone could write a module that watches the PMDG LVAR and raises that event.

I'm sure even if it's a key command, there's probably a way to make the cockpit button trigger it through LINDA. If it can make GSX and the NGX speak to each other to trigger the exits automatically, making the NGX and vPilot talk together would be easy enough as long as vPilot has the ability to toggle.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Can LINDA trigger a SimConnect custom client event?

• 4 weeks later...
Alexander Polcher
Posted
Posted

+1

Would be highly appreciated to get this opportunity.

Furthermore, I have my Audio options as seen below but vPilot is not shown in the Windows volume mixer - so warnings like ATC pop-ups are not heard.

1.PNG

• 1 month later...
Les OReilly
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 4/11/2021 at 10:09 PM, Ross Carlson said:

Why not just follow the MSFS "SPEAKER" variable.  The audio panel has a normal Variable for the audio panel to flip the SPKR... could use that as a "secondary" output that is muted when the SPKR is turned off.

With PMDG LVAR we can make a script that will copy the PMDG to the normal SIM VAR.  I did this with the AS CRJ pre v1.0.3 where I had the script copy the state of the TXPDR LVAR to the Simconnect Transponder State 1 Variable...

This is a neat feature request.. maybe not so much about Switching the output but better having a Second instance which you could then "mute"... just like how the audio panel works in the planes 🙂

thanks,

Les

Edited by Les OReilly
Said LVAR when Meant SIM VAR...

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Les OReilly said:

Why not just follow the MSFS "SPEAKER" variable.

I don't see that variable in the P3D or FSX simvars list. Do you know if it exists for those sims?

• 2 weeks later...
Les OReilly
Posted
Posted
On 8/10/2021 at 1:26 PM, Ross Carlson said:

I don't see that variable in the P3D or FSX simvars list. Do you know if it exists for those sims?

Sorry Ross I did not get a notification that you replied to this thread... my bad...

I will check on that for you later today...  It  might be one of the new features that they added for MSFS...  I know the added others like the Transponder State ...  but I can also have a look into P3Dv4.5 as well.

Again sorry for delay in reply.

Allan Jensen
Posted
Posted

Or if you want to have the sound both places you can use the Stereo Mix mix or Voicemeeter (free app I just successfully tested this morning) as per https://www.minitool.com/news/play-sound-multiple-output-devices-windows-10.html

Voicemeeter can customize where the audio should be sent - and it has macros so I guess you could make a macro for easily changing output devices if you want. Only downside so far is that your keyboard volume control doesn't work out of the box but you can kind of rehook it into Voicemeeter so it works almost like normal.

Les OReilly
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Allan Jensen said:

Or if you want to have the sound both places you can use the Stereo Mix mix or Voicemeeter (free app I just successfully tested this morning) as per https://www.minitool.com/news/play-sound-multiple-output-devices-windows-10.html

Voicemeeter can customize where the audio should be sent - and it has macros so I guess you could make a macro for easily changing output devices if you want. Only downside so far is that your keyboard volume control doesn't work out of the box but you can kind of rehook it into Voicemeeter so it works almost like normal.

But that defeats the whole purpose of us trying to have it tied into the sim...  I use Voicemeeter on my system already 🙂  I have the full paid solution and it is great for getting all of my Audio Mixed perfect...  currently the SIM audio and the ATC audio go to different virtual inputs and then I mix the level there...  however again you need to have separate MIDI controls for that function... if the vPilot did the Mixing and read the Levels of the Sim Audio panels then you get all of that in the sim and then with your hardware..