You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Android app for VATSIM

Richard Asberg

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

I just replaced my iPhone with an Android mobile phone and now I'm wondering if there is a good Android app similar to the one I was using on my iPhone. Can't recall what it was called but the icon was orange and it allowed me to both view a map with traffic and ATC and also to look up weather etc using airport ICAO codes as well as adding friend etc. Used it a lot!

Is there a similar one for Android or maybe there already is an Android version of the app I'm talking about above only that I didn't find it so far?

Richard Åsberg

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted

Two orange icons I can think of:

- vRoute

- VatMap

For weather etc, I think you've possibly had the latter? If so, only available for iPhone and iPad I'm afraid...

Trevor Hannant

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

I guess it was VatMap. Too bad it's not available for Android

Richard Åsberg

Nick Warren
Posted
Posted

FSRadar is a map view and details, but no list view.

VatAlert when you are flying will notify you if a controller is online or pops up in your vicinity.

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the tips, will check them out.

Richard Åsberg

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Weird how I can't find any of them.

They are in the Google Play Store, right?

Richard Åsberg

Nick Warren
Posted
Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Got them, must have been blind.

Many thanks!

Richard Åsberg

• 1 month later...
Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Lately all Vatsim traffic is gone from the map in FSRadar.

Anyone else seen this?

Richard Åsberg

Nick Warren
Posted
Posted

Same here. There have been some comments regarding it posted in the play store, so hopefully the author will tweak the server settings on the app and send an update out.

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Good to know I'm not the only one.

Tried sending an email to the developer on the address found in Playstore but it came back telling me the address didn't exist...

Richard Åsberg

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Did someone find an alternative to FSRadar?

I would like to think there should be more than one single android app to show a live Vatsim map.

Richard Åsberg

• 1 year later...
Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Waking up my own old thread since I'm still in the same situation looking for a good Android app for VATSIM and wanted to ask if something new happened since I asked about this last time.

Been using Vattastic on my simulator PC but would really like being able to use my PC exclusively for flight simulation rather than ALT-TAB'ing between various stuff. Doing this spoils quite a bit of the immersion IMO.

What I'm looking for is an app that would allow me to see both online ATC and pilots, get METAR information, ATC frequencies etc.

Vattastic is a really good web-based service but unfortunately there's something stopping me from moving and/or zooming in/out on the map when accessing the site from my Android tablet.

I find this very strange since I'm using Chrome just like I'm doing on my regular simulator PC where it works just fine. Guess Vattastic for whatever reason don't like when you're on a mobile device rather than a PC.

I have asked the developer of Vattastic about this problem but I'm still waiting to hear back from him.

Many thanks in advance for any tips how others solved this!

I honestly find it quite strange if there still aren't any good options out there for Android devices to achieve what I'm looking for. It's soon 2019 and Android devices are very common these days and VATSIM being one of the biggest online networks for flight simulation.

Richard Åsberg

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Just so you guys have some information about FSRadar, I got in contact with the FSRadar Team yesterday and they told me it had just been repaired then. I still can't see the traffic though, so I'll get back to them once again.

They are still and active team, and I'm sure they're the first people interested in getting this to work .

Me.

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

This is some great news, thanks Néstor!

Richard Åsberg

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Ok, after some emails it's finally up and working again. Yay!

Me.

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Hmm...did it change its name from FSRadar to something else?

I can't find it in Google Play store searching for it.

Richard Åsberg

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

They say to be trying to solve some issues with Google.

Me.

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Ok, thanks for the info!

Richard Åsberg

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Brilliant news

Was a long time now since I last used it and a couple of suggestions to make it even better:

- use a more colorful representation of ATC on the map to make it easier to spot online ATC

- add an option to enter your own VID in order to be able to find and track yourself on the map

- maybe also be able to add friends by their VIDs to be able to track them as well

- add list views for pilots and ATC

That was all I could come up with for the moment

Richard Åsberg

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Hahahaha, you can find the contact form in the website pointed somewhere round the APP. I've had enough with exactly 9 e-mails in 2 days

Me.

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted
Hahahaha, you can find the contact form in the website pointed somewhere round the APP. I've had enough with exactly 9 e-mails in 2 days

Fair enough, thanks for what you've done up to this point

Richard Åsberg

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

No worries, mate!

Me.

• 6 months later...
Peter Crawford
Posted
Posted
Same here. There have been some comments regarding it posted in the play store, so hopefully the author will tweak the server settings on the app and send an update out.
Just so you guys have some information about FSRadar, I got in contact with the FSRadar Team yesterday and they told me it had just been repaired then. I still can't see the traffic though, so I'll get back to them once again.

They are still and active team, and I'm sure they're the first people interested in getting this to work .

So, here we are some two years later. I've only recently downloaded fsradar as this is the first android tablet I've owned. To begin with there were no problems viewing vatsim aircraft but in the last week the vatsim air traffic has all disappeared...... I can still see the Ivao aircraft, but nothing of the vatsim ones. I've even uninstall an reinstalled fsradar, but no luck.

Has anyone else come up with anything?