You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

This Thing Called VATSIM

Randy Tyndall 1087023

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

I have been a member of VATSIM since December 2008. I just noticed a post from a fellow member with a VATSIM CID of 139XXXX.

Doing the math I suddenly realized that since I joined, another 303,000 people have discovered This Thing Called VATSIM.

I honestly cannot recall even how I discovered VATSIM myself, I'm just so very glad I did. I don't know how many of those 34,000 people a year joining since I joined are still here, but with 2,833 people joining a month ya gotta think that a few of those 93 people per day end up sticking around and adding to my pleasure and the enjoyment of all the other members.

Man, I love This Thing Called VATSIM.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

id say out of all those new members, very few are regular users just based on the usual traffic numbers in certain areas.

yes simmers, there are people who only use the sim once a month, once every couple months, once a year, or longer. shocking at the moment im part of the once a month/every couple months group lol

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted

Waiting to see the first 14XXXXX

I've noticed lately that most of the pilots around me are newer than me. Starting to feel old.

KntU2Cw.jpg

Camden Bruno
Posted
Posted
Starting to feel old.

How do you think gents like Ernesto feel? Lol!

Cam B.
VATSIM Supervisor

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted

Ernesto is old. I'm just a 13***** myself.

KntU2Cw.jpg

Steven Perry
Posted
Posted

The future looks bright! That new and younger members keep joining is a good thing.

I wonder if we have any parent & offspring teams?

Steven Perry

VATSIM Supervisor

Camden Bruno
Posted
Posted

I wonder if we have any parent & offspring teams?

We have a few members at Boston Virtual ARTCC who are fathers and sons, and will hop on TeamSpeak and fly with each other during the weekends to catch up. I always love seeing it, brings an additional level of 'connection' to the network.

Cam B.
VATSIM Supervisor

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted
Ernesto is old. I'm just a 13***** myself.

heeeeeeeey! i resemble that remark

think i was 13 or 14 when i first joined the network, now 35 definitely my oldest running hobby, unlike my attempt at RC flying which was short lived after my little electric RTF melted

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted

Just to be clear, I was referring to my CID, not my actual age.

My CID is 2+ years old, but I wasn't flying for the first year - didn't know how to. I learned to fly just to fly on Vatsim. Wish I'd found it earlier.

#vatsimforever

KntU2Cw.jpg

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

I should probably go and hide somewhere given my CID!

A little while back I posted some photos of some old docomeents and bits and pieces I still have in various ring binders etc from around 2000 in the UK forum. Someone pointed out at the time that rather frighteningly, there were a good few members around today who weren't even born when I printed that stuff out.

Now that really does make me feel old!

Vice President, Pilot Training

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

I guess I'm a late bloomer. I was 55 when I discovered VATSIM and will be 64 this year by my anniversary date.

Yeah, I'm that old, retired, and loving every minute of it. Fly when I want and stay up all night if I want to. Trouble is my body says "oh no you're not!"

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted
A little while back I posted some photos of some old docomeents and bits and pieces I still have in various ring binders etc from around 2000 in the UK forum.

Hello!

I would be quite interested in having a peek at these. Would you be able to post a link?

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief
Vancouver FIR Senior Instructor

Visit us: https://ganderoceanic.ca

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted
A little while back I posted some photos of some old docomeents and bits and pieces I still have in various ring binders etc from around 2000 in the UK forum.

Hello!

I would be quite interested in having a peek at these. Would you be able to post a link?

Sure - managed to find the link!

SATUK Heathrow pages:

temporary_zps7977f73a.jpg

Heathrow Director training:

temporary_zps351ed46c.jpg

Shanwick (note fixed NATs and SASO = Simulated Air and Space Organisation, IIRC!)

temporary_zps35c71eb3.jpg

UK Online Flying Club 747 World Tour (more where this one came from!):

temporary_zpsd5665553.jpg

I'll look through later and see if I can find some more stuff of interest.

Vice President, Pilot Training

• 2 weeks later...
Daniel Gomes
Posted
Posted

Simon,

I remember that as well! SATCO times....

I think I have those prints somewhere at home...

Pro Controller was the state of the art ATC tool…..

Daniel Gomes

• 1 month later...
Patrik Yngver
Posted
Posted

Ah, SATCO, that brings back memories!

Patrik Yngvér

VATSIM Thailand vACC Deputy Director

C3 ENR Controller

ESNO, Sweden

spacer.png