You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

XSB Label size Adjustment?

Rich Heimlich

Rich Heimlich
Posted
Posted

Just getting back into flying again after another hiatus. Have the lastest XSB (1.3.3 beta 3) installed and I'm finding that with HDR on the labels for the aircraft are so small that I can't even read them. I like being able to see these, at least for a while.

Is there some setting or hack to be able to enlarge those fonts? They're literally unusable as is. I can read them perfectly if I drop down to Medium, but I really don't want to do that.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted
Just getting back into flying again after another hiatus. Have the lastest XSB (1.3.3 beta 3) installed and I'm finding that with HDR on the labels for the aircraft are so small that I can't even read them. I like being able to see these, at least for a while.

Is there some setting or hack to be able to enlarge those fonts? They're literally unusable as is. I can read them perfectly if I drop down to Medium, but I really don't want to do that.

Thanks.

Not really possible - libxplanemp handles label rendering, and it doesn't actually draw the text itself - it just asks XPlane to do it.

Also, HDR (High Dynamic Range Rendering) should have no impact at all on label size - it doesn't change pixel size or effective resolution at all. Are you sure you're not mistaking Nvidia's DSR (Dyanamic Super Resolution) for HDR?

I personally strongly advise against the use of DSR with X-Plane - apart from the fact it'll make the UI too small, there's a good chance it'll also gut your framerate needlessly - If you've got framerate to spare, SSAA will achieve much of the same effect without affecting UI scale.

XSquawkBox - Developer/Maintainer

Please post any support related questions to the XSquawkBox support forum rather than private messaging me, thanks.

Mathew Sutcliffe
Posted
Posted

It's caused by SSAA.

SSAA is only available when HDR is enabled, so that's why the confusion.

The labels get smaller with progressively higher SSAA settings.

swift - Developer

Rich Heimlich
Posted
Posted

That's it. Yes. I was trying to get screen shots of all my settings so this is very helpful. I wonder if there's any way to overcome it and not lose the features.... As it is I literally cannot see the labels. It's like microscopic text on a 27" monitor.