You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Vpilot port issue

kyle wilford 943459

kyle wilford 943459
Posted
Posted

Hey guys, I've had this over at vatpac and now been advised to post on here! I know that there is some older post that go back on this but I can not find them to save my life right now! :/

Anyway issue is act show up in vpilot connect fonecto them and then 2 min later unless I re push the talk button they and I can not contact me. I've set up port forwarding along with a static address and still having the same issues and I'm getting frustrted as hell and I do not know what to do.

Hopefully someone can help.

Kyle Wilford

VATPAC Member

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Certainly sounds like the typical UDP port timeout issue. Perhaps you didn't set up port forwarding correctly. Can you show us a screenshot of the settings in your router that you think should be forwarding the port?

kyle wilford 943459
Posted
Posted

Hey man,

Please see images attached. The static one is a snapshot of what someone else's however I've done the same just changed my IP address.

Hopefully this link works as I'm doing it from my iPhone as I'm at work away from home PC.

Should show 2 images

http://imgur.com/a/MP6Px

Kyle Wilford

VATPAC Member

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

It should be UDP port 3290 for both LAN and WAN. Give that a try and see if it resolves the issue.

kyle wilford 943459
Posted
Posted

Okay will try that. I did try 3290 and3291 and that didn't work.

Kyle Wilford

VATPAC Member

kyle wilford 943459
Posted
Posted

Hi it sadly has not fully fixed the issue. it has however improved it slightly but not enough to not lose contact.

Kyle Wilford

VATPAC Member

kyle wilford 943459
Posted
Posted

Can confirm this has 100% not worked.

Kyle Wilford

VATPAC Member

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

Are you sure that the IP address of the computer you want is 10.0.0.36 as you've shown in the picture? If you're using Windows, open Command Prompt and then type "ipconfig". The IPv4 address is the one you want to set the port to forward to. Here in North America, all of the addresses I've ever seen are always 192.168.X.X, but that could be different where you are (I'm no internet/networking expert).

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

10.*.*.* is another internal block similar to 192.168.*.*, so that should be fine. It looks like that's correct given the screenshot he posted of his IP settings, although the screenshot is very small and hard to read, at least for me.

Kyle, can you please post an updated screenshot of your port forwarding settings?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

kyle wilford 943459
Posted
Posted

Hi guys,

Please see links attached.

https://prnt.sc/fazlm0

https://prnt.sc/fazlxd

Kyle Wilford

VATPAC Member

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

And just to reconfirm, the issue is that if you have a period of time where you don't transmit on frequency, you'll eventually stop receiving voice? And once you activate your PTT key to transmit, you'll resume receiving transmissions as before?

Two possibilities I can think of would be: 1) Your router isn't applying the port forwarding settings (perhaps it needs a reboot?), or 2) vPilot isn't using UDP port 3290 to receive voice.

#2 is certainly possible if for some reason it thinks that port is in use or otherwise unavailable, in which case it'll allow a random, high-numbered port to be used instead. The web interface for a voice server you're connected to would be able to confirm whether this is perhaps the case, or you could use the "netstat" Windows utility to verify whether vPilot was able to listen on UDP port 3290 or if it resorted to some other port instead.

kyle wilford 943459
Posted
Posted

Correct with first part. There is also a delay after pushing the talk button for ATC voice to be heard again.

I'll try reboot of the modem, however he other things you mentioned I'm not to sure how to do.

Kyle Wilford

VATPAC Member

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
#2 is certainly possible if for some reason it thinks that port is in use or otherwise unavailable, in which case it'll allow a random, high-numbered port to be used instead.

Are you sure? I thought 3290 was hard coded into the VATSIM voice library. I didn't write it, so I could be wrong, but I thought that was the reason why you could never have more than one VATSIM client running at the same time, both using voice. VRC won't even start up if it can't open 3290. My other clients will still run, but voice won't work if 3290 is taken by another app.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Using this voice server (LiveATC - a common one), look at all of the pilot connections that aren't using port 3290. Here's an example:

user 2 name = "DFW_GND (1293257)", address = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:3290
user 3 name = "DAL1318 (1325477)", address = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:34494
user 4 name = "N2461N (1390147)", address = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:3290
user 5 name = "DAL153 (1377280)(0)", address = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:3290
user 6 name = "AAL2290 (1374832)", address = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:3290

I don't know what client DAL1318 is using, but its currently receiving voice data on UDP port 34494. The client likely requested a random UDP port from the O/S.

EDIT: And here's even an example of an ATC client using an abnormal port number:

user 2 name = "MKJP_APP (1363093)", address = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:11864

I always [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed it was within the VVL code that would first try to bind to a certain client port (3290 for VRC, 3291 for vATIS, etc.) and, if that fails, then try to re-bind the listening port after clearing the port number (allowing the O/S to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign one from its dynamic port range). Perhaps it's only certain clients that do this?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Interesting ... I wonder why the VATSIM voice lib fails to initialize when 3290 is in use, if it's able to just select a random port. Dunno.

kyle wilford 943459
Posted
Posted

So in fact that even tho mine is set up correctly it could be the other end user? Because I do find that 1 or 2 ATC I don't have any issues with but everyone else keeps going silent. ? Do I need to contact vpilot and start a thread there?

Kyle Wilford

VATPAC Member

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
So in fact that even tho mine is set up correctly it could be the other end user?

No. Unless everyone else on the frequency is losing transmissions at the same time, it's very unlikely that the problem isn't on your side of the connection.

Can you connect to the network right now? If so, connect somewhere with ATC, tune to an active controller, and let me know the controller name - I can check the voice server for you and verify that UDP port 3290 is indeed being used. If it is, then I'll be fresh out of ideas to try. Your issue is perfectly described by a UPnP port timeout issue on your router... something that a manual port forwarding rule should completely eliminate.

kyle wilford 943459
Posted
Posted

I'm going to log on as VH-VAA at KTUS. Controller is ABQ_CTR 127.850

Kyle Wilford

VATPAC Member

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Well, that at least confirms port 3290 is the one you'd want to forward:

user 10 name = "VHVAA (943459)", address = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:3290

So we're at the point where I'm fresh out of ideas. Not sure if Ross or anyone else has any suggestions.

You can try digging around your router's settings to see if it has a setting for "UPnP Port Timeout" and, if so, increasing that time. If you can set that fairly high, then you hopefully wouldn't run into this issue as often.

Otherwise... I guess just tap your PTT key every few minutes if you haven't been transmitting?

kyle wilford 943459
Posted
Posted

Maybe it helped that I turned modem off and back on. I'll test again when I do an actual flight back in Aus and I'll report back to u guys.

Kyle Wilford

VATPAC Member

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Kyle,

In your original image uploaded what were the DNS servers listed as? Whilst this shouldn't be an issue it looked like they were set as 0.0.0.0 ?

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
it looked like they were set as 0.0.0.0 ?

I thought the tiny blobs of pixels looked more like "8.8.8.8" and "8.8.4.4" (i.e. Google's public DNS servers). That's just a guess, though... considering each number was represented by about 6 pixels or so.

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

It's what I'm hoping too.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

kyle wilford 943459
Posted
Posted

Hahaha it's 8.8.8.8 and alt dns server is set as 8.8.4.4

Tonight's flight with some act and it didn't cut out once so let's hope what ever I've done (turn modem on and off believe it or not) has helped.

Kyle Wilford

VATPAC Member

kyle wilford 943459
Posted
Posted

update!

Still not 100% convinced what we have all done is working 100% it chose when it wants to fully work and when it doesn't. Over at Vatpac a few others are having similar issues and have port forwarding set up! I also hear a lot ATC trying to get to pilots and there is no contact until ATC message pilot to reply and then they become "active" again.

Kyle Wilford

VATPAC Member