You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vPilot P3D v4

Eric Fisher

Eric Fisher
Posted
Posted

Well, P3D v4 and 64bit version has been announced with release on May 30th. A whole new virtual world. However as a vatsim diehard I need vPilot to work in it before I switch over. Ross, are you able to provide any insight on it working in v4?

Eric

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Nope, not yet. The announcement says the SDK is fully reworked ... whether or not that means they've changed anything regarding SimConnect, I don't know. If it still supports SimConnect, then vPilot should work just fine.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Was just about to ask the same question.

Thanks for the info Ross!

Richard Åsberg

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Ross,

It still supports simconnect. I will post the version number later.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Norm, the question is whether or not it supports the same SimConnect DLL that vPilot ships with, which is the one intended for FSX. Have you tried it with vPilot?

If I have to build two separate versions of vPilot, one for FSX, one for P3D v4+, I will, but hopefully that won't be necessary.

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Ross

Hopefully it's able to cover both. I will try to ascertain more for you later.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

I checked with a pilot who has early access to Prepar3D v4. He checked and tells me that the existing version of vPilot works with P3D v4, "as long as you download the correct SimConnect into the client PC".

That report is from VATSIM pilot and BVA member Nico Lumermann, who can often be found online as "DAL213". Ross, if you need more technical information, please feel free to reach out to him.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Thanks, Evan. I should be all set ... when v4 comes out, I'll determine which SimConnect version is required and post instructions on the vPilot web site.

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

This is great news!

Richard Åsberg

Eric Fisher
Posted
Posted

Awesome news... a must have before I can go to v4.

Eric

Ira Robinson
Posted
Posted

So what is everyone so exited about? Is P3D that good that it's worth starting over again with everything?

Ira Robinson

Jonathan Fong
Posted
Posted

So what is everyone so exited about? Is P3D that good that it's worth starting over again with everything?

P3D v4 is coming with 64 bit, dynamic lighting, LOD tweaks... It's light years ahead of v3.

Johnny Coughlan
Posted
Posted

Is broadband better than dialup?.

And most big developers are updating and giving free their P3D v4 product updates so lots of people won't be starting over on everything.

I'd gladly pay the price of upgrading for the sake of progress rather than hold onto the past.

2017 so far has brought us XP11, Flight Sim World(still on the fence) and now P3D v4.

All of them helping to progress or hobby on the technology front.

And I for one say about time.

Ben Rath 1274713
Posted
Posted

Hello all,

vPilot works fine in V4 for me. The Sim get connected once started up and I can connect the the Network as well. Only Thing thats not right, is model matching. It Looks like vpilot still uses the WOAI models in my V3 Folder and wont recocnize any AI Models in my V4 Folder. Also a lot of models dont actually look like real aircrafts anymore.

What Kind of AI-models do others use and do they work in V4?

Thanks

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

vPilot doesn't recognize P3D v4 as a supported sim yet, so your computer still thinks you're using v3. I will need to release an update.

I don't know when that'll be, and I don't have a ballpark.

For now, if you have the same set of models installed in V4 as you do in V3, it should work.

What does this mean: "Also a lot of models dont actually look like real aircrafts anymore." ??

Ben Rath 1274713
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your quick Reply. as long as I can connect it`s more than fine. Dont want to rush anyone in any update.

Some AI models don`t load properly. They look black and some even have weird graphic issues.

I made a quick screenshot.

Some models work (like the easy A320), some look like the BAW 777(?) in the Background (yep, the sim already loaded a while before I took the screenshot) and some models dont even look like an aircraft anymore, more like a graphical mess.

r8h7pnJ.jpg

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Perhaps some of those models are not compatible with V4.

Kim Ruben Fjeldstad 986509
Posted
Posted

I also have the same problem with Model Matching for P3D V4..

I even copied all my WoAI planes into P3D simobjects folder, but still I only get model matching errors..

So I do not know what can fix it..

Even the VMR generator is supporting P3D v4 but still it doesn`t help

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
I only get model matching errors..

That's not the same issue as described by the OP. If you get an error in vPilot, that means the sim wasn't able to locate a model it was told to load. Most likely, this means you didn't put the models in the proper location or you didn't properly add the chosen location to P3D's SimObjects.cfg file.

• 2 weeks later...
Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

What does this mean: "Also a lot of models dont actually look like real aircrafts anymore." ??

Some types of texturing that worked (kind of) in P3D v3 don't work in P3D v4. They apparently turn plain white/grey/black or transparent, depending on some random factors. This is entirely on the AI models used rather than anything related directly to vpilot. I'm sure the major publishers will need to put in some work to ensure that is fixed. Any models that have been upgraded from FS9 models have finally lost their usefulness some 14 years after they got made.

Unfortunately the WOAI models are freeware, so it's going to be a "time permitting" kind of deal, and it might be a few years till everythings back to normal. The payware vendors will likely be quicker, but I'm told even some of those have some compatibility issues in v4. Give the 64bit some time to mature, it'll probably take a couple of years.

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Kyle Weber
Posted
Posted

Is there a "proper" way to have 1 vPilot install work with P3D v4 and FSX:SE? Mostly in terms of model matching files/AI. Or is 2 separate installs best?

Kyle Weber

Minneapolis ARTCC, VATUSA, C3 / P2

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Is there a "proper" way to have 1 vPilot install work with P3D v4 and FSX:SE? Mostly in terms of model matching files/AI. Or is 2 separate installs best?

You can switch between them with a single installation of vPilot by just changing the simulator you have selected in the vPilot settings.

If you are using custom model matching rules, and you want to use different custom rules for each sim, then two separate installs would work best. However, to keep things simple, I would just install the same models in both sims so you can use the same custom rules for either sim and use a single vPilot install.

Kyle Weber
Posted
Posted

Thank you.

Kyle Weber

Minneapolis ARTCC, VATUSA, C3 / P2

• 5 weeks later...
Melle Vroome
Posted
Posted

i cant even test the modelmatching because, could someone please help me With How to connect to the vatsim multiplayer session so I can sea the online people in my sim?

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

What steps, from the docomeentation, have you tried and at what point did it not work? Please be more descriptive so the community can help you with your troubleshooting.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations