You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Step climbing when filing a flight plan

Edward Berkley

Edward Berkley
Posted
Posted

Hi guys.

Say for example I was to file a flight plan from Heathrow to JFK. I would fly in a B747 and I create a flight via simbrief. Obviously, there is going to be a step climb throughout the flight because of efficiency. How do I exactly inform atc that I would be doing a step climb at a certain waypoint in the "Remarks" section? Also, when I file a flight plan for the cruising altitude, do I put in the final altitude that I would be climbing up to? Say I type 38000 feet as my crise but I'm actually cruising at 36000 before having to step climb to my final altitude 38000 feet. Would I type 36000 or 38000 feet?

Thanks

P.S. I use Vpilot

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not in the remarks, directly in the route. WAYPT/N0450F360 means 450KTAS and F360 from waypoint WAYPT. WAYPT/M084F380 means Mach 0.84 and FL380 from waypoint WAYPT, typically used for entry waypoints into oceanic FIRs. Software like PFPX and Simbrief will calculate these for you based on the aircraft performance files and apply these as necessary.

Note that you never never never never are CLEARED to do a stepclimb just because you have filed them in your route and recieved an IFR clearance before your flight. All ATC [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned altitudes (usually your initial requested flight level from the FP) take presedence. A controller might notice these step remarks and give them to you when applicable, or you can request them. He or she can also perfectly well ignore or deny them in order for you not to park inside another aircraft. ATC online? Ask! ATC offline? Own discretion, make sure noone's already there. Auto step climb functions in your aircraft should only be used offline.

Edited by Guest

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

Remember, if ATC is on you need to request the climb. Just because it's filed doesn't mean you can just climb.

Edward Berkley
Posted
Posted
Not in the remarks, directly in the route. WAYPT/N0450F360 means 450KTAS and F360 from waypoint WAYPT. WAYPT/M084F380 means Mach 0.84 and FL380 from waypoint WAYPT, typically used for entry waypoints into oceanic FIRs. Software like PFPX and Simbrief will calculate these for you based on the aircraft performance files and apply these as necessary.

Note that you never never never never are CLEARED to do a stepclimb just because you have filed them in your route and recieved an IFR clearance before your flight. All ATC [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned altitudes (usually your initial requested flight level from the FP) take presedence. A controller might notice these step remarks and give them to you when applicable, or you can request them. He or she can also perfectly well ignore or deny them in order for you not to park inside another aircraft. ATC online? Ask! ATC offline? Own discretion, make sure noone's already there. Auto step climb functions in your aircraft should only be used offline.

Thanks, that helped me a lot. But when I file in my cruising altitude should I type in the first cruising altitude that I'm going to climb to, or should I type in the final altitude that I would climb to?

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

You file the initial altitude, then any step climbs/descents in the route string

New York ARTCC

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

Yep, the initial climb. The remainders of stepclimb notes are not really very important though, for anything else than an immersive flight planning feel (which I support, of course). But as an ATC, I don't really care about those, I care first about keeping you at a level which avoid conflict, secondly about your performance (i.e. I'll try to get you to your optimum level in any given instance if you request it). Real airline pilots also care only about their actual optimum numbers for the near future, not what's been planned. If there was a last minute change in payload or fuel, those figures in the RTE can be shifted quite a bit, and no longer apply.

The only exception is that I really do appreciate entry/exit step info for the oceaninc sector whenever I'm manning Shanwick, makes preping clearances a tad easier as I can [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume a bit more safely what the pilot is able to do in terms of altitude and speed.