You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Simulator crash detection

Eric Liu

Eric Liu
Posted
Posted

Hey,

So with the new version (2.15) for vPilot that just came out, I've had an issue where when the simulator freezes, vPilot would spam "Simulator lockup detected" and after a few seconds show a popup saying that the simulator has crashed, and it would close vPilot immediately. However, the simulator hasn't crashed and it's just frozen which shouldn't cause vPilot to just quit. I've not had this issue with the previous version, except in circomestances where the simulator has actually crashed.

I'm running FSX with FSUIPC4, if that helps

Eric

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

That's intentional ... there have been reports of sims locking up and vPilot stays connected, which is obviously bad because that means there's an aircraft on the network that's not under pilot control.

vPilot detects a lockup when it stops receiving data from the sim via SimConnect. It waits until it hasn't received any data for a full 30 seconds (it should receive data every half second) before determining that the sim has locked up, and it shuts down.

Are you saying that your sim locks up for 30+ seconds and then resumes normally, and this happens on a regular basis?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Eric Liu
Posted
Posted

Hi Ross,

Occasionally my simulator does lockup for over 30 seconds then resumes normally. This only happens on the ground normally when I request services through GSX. It's a bit frustrating having to restart vPilot, but I guess the only way to prevent it is to put my sim on a higher CPU priority, which in essence renders other applications to act slowly. If it's intentional I guess there is not much I can do other than restarting vPilot.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

How long does it normally take?

Eric Liu
Posted
Posted

45 seconds to 60 seconds I would say?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm working on a change where if vPilot stops receiving SimConnect data for 30 seconds, then it won't terminate vPilot, it will just disconnect from the network if connected, and show you a message saying so.

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
I'm working on a change where if vPilot stops receiving SimConnect data for 30 seconds, then it won't terminate vPilot, it will just disconnect from the network if connected, and show you a message saying so.

Would it be possible to shorten that time if they are at a lowish altitude?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Would it be possible to shorten that time if they are at a lowish altitude?

I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you are asking for this for a reason. Is that reason because you see a lot of sims locking up on final? I definitely don't see that enough to call it a problem. I certainly see sims crashing on final into a busy airport (which causes an immediate disconnect), but not freezing in place.

Unless the majority of controllers are seeing this problem on a regular basis, and somehow I've been immune for years, then it's not worth trying to find a good formula for how long vPilot remains connected while the sim is frozen, based on altitude AGL.

Or is there some other reason you're asking?

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Ahhh. I got it. I thought crashing and locking up were handled the same. Being that they are handled differently, disregard my post.

• 2 weeks later...
Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

2.1.6 is available now. It waits 2 minutes rather than 30 seconds before determining the sim is locked up, and it will only disconnect, not shutdown.

peyton Vali 1355517
Posted
Posted

Hey there, So I load in at a gate and nothing on my sim freezes, out of nowhere the simulator lockup detected message pops up. It disconnects me but then when I to try reconnect it says make sure FSX/P3D is running. Im loaded in the simulator and nothing freezes so I am not sure what this problem is.

Thanks

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Hey there, So I load in at a gate and nothing on my sim freezes, out of nowhere the simulator lockup detected message pops up. It disconnects me but then when I to try reconnect it says make sure FSX/P3D is running. Im loaded in the simulator and nothing freezes so I am not sure what this problem is.

Thanks

Very strange ... something is preventing SimConnect from getting data from your sim.

Anyone else having this issue?

peyton Vali 1355517
Posted
Posted

Im not sure what happened it used to work fine with no problems but with the new updates it just started breaking on me which really disappoints me because I like to fly online.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Peyton, when vPilot detects that the sim has locked up, what is happening in the sim at that moment? Do you have any menus or windows open?

peyton Vali 1355517
Posted
Posted

No when the lockup is detected it is when I am in my plane setting up my FMC. Nothing freezes and no other windows are open.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm afraid I have no idea why your sim isn't sending data to vPilot then. Do you want to use an old version?

peyton Vali 1355517
Posted
Posted

Yeah if you could please do that it would be great. I have no clue whats going on.

peyton Vali 1355517
Posted
Posted

And I have already tried it on 2.1.5 and .6 and neither work so past versions would be best, thank you

peyton Vali 1355517
Posted
Posted

Hey Ross, on 2.1.4 it spams me with sim lockup detected just like normal. No clue in the world what is happening.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Try 2.1.3.

peyton Vali 1355517
Posted
Posted

Can you instruct me on how to change the file name, I know how to obviosly, but where is the file?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Can you instruct me on how to change the file name, I know how to obviosly, but where is the file?

I meant to change the number in the filename in the URL I gave you:

http://vpilot.metacraft.com/[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ets/Files/Installers/vPilot-Setup-2.1.3.exe

peyton Vali 1355517
Posted
Posted

Hey Ross, So ive been running .3 and .6 and ive found something... My vpilot works 100% fine when i fly on the west coast, but once I hit around Denver it all fails. I flew into KDEN earlier and right at 13,000 feet the controller said my sim locked up but I was flying the approach fine. And when I run .3 at the other airports around the USA I cant talk to ATC or see other traffic. Still cant find out whats causing this though.

Noa Nikolic 1326386
Posted
Posted

I'm afraid the same thing is happening to me. I get a message: 'Simulator frozen, you are disconnected (or something similar)' but simulator is working perfectly OK.

That started happening this morning out of the clear sky.

EDIT: Tried previous versions, it hangs on 'Attempting simulator connection...'

20.jpg