You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

KZLC making initial contact

Sean Harrison

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

How do pilots know that they have communication with ENR controller in KZLC?

I was handed off from KZLA, so changed freq and called giving my FL and location, got no response so tryed again. Still no response so i texted, got no response. Thought maybe he was out for a break or something. At my next waypoint I sent a position report for situational awareness with an approaching acft in the opposite direction. Ctr then said on voice I didn't need to send position reports I was in CTA.

That was first I had heard from him. I know FAA is a bit different, but all the other ARTCCs in VATUSA that I have encountered always respond to pilots entering their airspace, even if it just saying their callsign. At least then we, as pilots, know that comes are working.

I tryed asking KZLC but their contact us page won't work for me.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

When you check in on a new frequency, the controller should respond with (a minimum of) the position. For example, "DAL315, Boston Center". Most of us also say "roger" at the end of that.

I can't speak to why that didn't happen in this case.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

you did fine continuing to try and get a response. if the controller fails to respond, you've not yet established positive communication. he might be tracking you, especially if you were handed off, but if hes not responding, or vice versa, you havent established a key part in the whole thing and theres no way for either party to confirm you can hear each other if thats not done.

• 9 months later...
Jeff Turner
Posted
Posted
you did fine continuing to try and get a response. if the controller fails to respond, you've not yet established positive communication. he might be tracking you, especially if you were handed off, but if hes not responding, or vice versa, you havent established a key part in the whole thing and theres no way for either party to confirm you can hear each other if thats not done.

What you experienced is not unusual by any means, twice I have been flying into KDEN and never heard from the Denver Center controller from the time I entered his airspace to the time I landed...

Jeff "JU" Turner

US Army Retired

http://www.skyblueradio.com

21.png

SBR_banner-468-x-60.jpg