You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

This Can Ruin Everybody's Fun Of Creating & Post Screenshots

Aharon Dayan

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

Photobucket had made important announcement 2 days ago that could potentially ruin everybody's fun of creating and posting screenshots.

PhotoBucket now charges $399 for third-party hosted images.

Here is new rule for Photobucket: Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.

Photobucket's new pricing system:

o Plus 50 Plan: 52 GB of Storage for $59.99 / Year. The Plus 50 Plan does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 100 Plan: 102 GB of Storage for $99.99 / Year. The Plus 100 Plan allows for unlimited image linking but not allow 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 500 Plan: 500 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting.

Here is the link for specific explanations by computer analyst experts as seen on this link:

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/photobucket-now-charges-399-for-third-party-hosted-images/

This is going to destroy flightsimmers' important hobby of creating beautiful screenshots. Guess I will have to look for another very reliable and superb photo image hosting site. Shesshhhhh.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Aharon,

I use a web hosting service. It's maybe $60/yr, and I get to use m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive amounts of storage.

I then just put my files and photos there and can be shared by link.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Why don't you just use imgur for free?

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Aharon,

I got the same notice from photobucket and all my screenies through them are now linked to that terrible notice. I thought maybe since I was at "100% 3rd Party Hosting" I could simply go in, find screenies from five years ago or later, and delete the link. I deleted many and it still said I was at 100% so I presume it is a "gotcha". Once at 100% you can never again be less than that unless you buy into photobucket's professional side. Not gonna happen for me...

I immediately started my account at IMGUR.COM. Way easier to upload and get links to post in the forums. I have slowly, very slowly, been going through all the FS Screenshots I have made over the years uploading them to IMGUR, finding the post I downloaded them to from photobucket and replacing them with the IMGUR file.

It's a slow process and I guarantee I'll miss some from years ago, but I will persevere.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Zain Khan
Posted
Posted

Photobucket these days have been becoming worse and IMO they have been digging themselves a rather deep hole that they would less likely come out of.

Personally I use Imgur for flightsim screenshots and some EuroScope images and use prntscr for some screenshots and they're free to use. It's better off these days using Imgur and prntscr for images these days, but on prntscr some screenshots disappear after a month or so, to conserve bandwidth. It's just amazing and I can go and straight away save the screenshots from Imgur that were uploaded on the flightsim PC and save on pretty much other computers and mobile devices as well. I use this method to get screenshots to post on social media and I gotta say it's more reliable.

Photobucket's golden days are over and probs it's gonna die out. So at all costs, I suggest avoid Photobucket from now on.

Zain Khan NZAA - 1345074

Enroute Controller (C1)

Pacific Oceanic Partnership Oceanic Endorsed Controller (/O)

VATSIM New Zealand

http://www.twitch.tv/zkaviator

http://www.instagram.com/zkaviator

Emma Jackson 1348796
Posted
Posted

Is it 2006? Just use Imgur!

19.png

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Thanks all for very interesting comments.

I have been using Photobucket for almost TEN years for millions of my screenshots published in various aviation forums and NOW I have to look for a new image hosting site that can offer BBB code below each of 25 screenshots per page so that I can click on BBB img code and paste on forum post for fast work writing a flight screenshot report.

Got to evaluate Imgur and Flickr as well as FSFiles to see which one offers me painless and fast copy of IMG codes. Remember I publish an average of 45 screenshots per post.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

While Photobucket is ruining all aviation forums' screenshot or photo subforums by replacing screenshots and photos with black boxes, Photbucket also is ruining many virtual airlines' websites and homepages by replacing screenshots or photos with black boxes as seen on example of the following link:

http://www.virtualaca.net/index.php/tour/category/3

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

So, people who were already operating their own websites thought they could freeload and leech Photobucket's bandwidth? And Photobucket decided to put an end to it?

No sympathy here.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Well, no service is for free forever. Times change, services change. If someone uses a free service then he needs to be prepared for the day that the service ceases or comes at a fee. Such is life. Just invest a few dollars/shekel in subscribe to a commercial webhoster and you'll have full control over your content.

Basic rule: in life nothing comes for free, nothing.

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

When testing Imgur and FSFiles, I have discovered that those two image hosting website do NOT automatically resize my screenshots from 1920x900 to 1024x500 during uploadings that Photobucket can do.

I really need any image hosting website that can automatically resize DURING UPLOADING any number of screenshots from 1920x800 to 1024x500.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

Hosting images and resizing when uploaded (usually not desired) is not cheap. It's only a matter of time until most start charging. They can start off cheap, but when the operations grow to where you need mirrors, database servers (with an s), etc. it is not possible to remain free at that point. Some try by preventing hotlinks (forcing users to go to their site to be served with ads to generate revenue to pay the bills and keep lights on)... but it's inevitable because it's not economically sustainable.

Best bet is to setup your own solution on a cheapy web host.

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Thanks, all

I am afraid I do not like Imgur and Flickr.

I am trying out FsFiles image hosting site. FsFiles seems to be interesting and possible solution only if there is function that I can put or re-sort screenshots' file names in file order in any album in FSFiles. Anybody knows how? I cannot find function for that in FsFiles.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png