You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ASDE-X Show Aircraft With Wrong Squawk Code

Taylor Broad

Taylor Broad
Posted
Posted

Hey all,

I was doing a training session with a instructor with vSTARS. I was using vSTARS, he was using VRC. He started telling me I was letting aircraft depart with the wrong squawk code. Unfortunately I am unable to tell that he is squawking the correct code unless he gets off the ground. Is it possible to implement in the ASDE-X map some way for us to tell what code they are squawking just like VRC when they're on the wrong code?

Thanks

Taylor Broad
Senior Developer - Virtual Airlines
VATSIM Virtual Airlines Dept.

## [email protected]

VATSIM Logo

Dominic Nguyen
Posted
Posted

That's how it works in the RW too, the local controller wouldn't know unless he/she sees the target not auto acquiring and says WHO in the datablock.

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
Is it possible to implement in the ASDE-X map some way for us to tell what code they are squawking just like VRC when they're on the wrong code?

It's already there. They display the code they are currently squawking below their datablock if it's wrong (if they are squawking their [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned code, nothing is displayed). This only will appear if the aircraft has their transponder on.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
That's how it works in the RW too, the local controller wouldn't know unless he/she sees the target not auto acquiring and says WHO in the datablock.

Really? This can't be true... for a couple of reasons; 1) I'm almost positive I've heard a LiveATC clip where the ground controller at LAX corrected a pilot's dyslexic reversing of two digits in his beacon code, and 2) how would the ASDE-X display know what callsign to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociate with a transponder reply if the code was incorrect?

Dominic Nguyen
Posted
Posted

I could be wrong, I've listened as well and the SFO tower controller corrected it when the aircraft was airborne and was about to switch to NCT. Ground controller could've missed it. You must remember ASDE-X has many sources, it uses ADS-B/MLAT and radar as well.