You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vPilot stop working mid-flight and will not work

Nick Dobda 1345456

Nick Dobda 1345456
Posted
Posted

I was getting ready for a flight as normal. Got clearance from ground as normal. 10 mins later when I was ready to taxi, I could not get ahold of ground... instead I get the buzz. I could not hear any transmissions either.

After a few resets, the problem persisted... I decided to take off anyway. When I made it to the next available controller... same thing- radio silence (I could not hear anything) and I could not speak (buzzer).

I played with the thing for an hour, updated the vPilot software but the same exact problem persisted. I noticed as well I couldn't even hear the ATIS.

The radio tuned in the cockpit changed the frequency in vPilot, and when I PTT i get a buzzer, but the TX turns blue as if it was working. I ran the debug code and it recognizes PTT (true when press, false when let go).

The only thing I can notice is the COM1 COM2 in vPilot is white, not blue.

I also was sure to run the program as administrator.

Can someone give me a clue how to fix this? I've attached a picture as I am pushing to talk.

Also, I've tested my mic through an external test, the microphone works just fine. Calibration works just fine. Communications worked perfect up until it started buzzing.

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt336/luckyleaf6/VPe1_1.jpg

VPe1_1.jpg

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The buzzer means you are not connected to the controller's voice server. My best guess is that something is blocking the connection, such as firewall or anti-virus software.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Nick Dobda 1345456
Posted
Posted
The buzzer means you are not connected to the controller's voice server. My best guess is that something is blocking the connection, such as firewall or anti-virus software.

You ever heard of this happening mid-flight? One minute it was working fine (I got clearance through voice), and one minute it was buzzing.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

No, but it could be your router (or any router in the chain between you and the voice server) dropping the connection due to a timeout.

Nick Dobda 1345456
Posted
Posted
No, but it could be your router (or any router in the chain between you and the voice server) dropping the connection due to a timeout.

If this is the case, how can this problem be fixed? I rebooted vPilot a few times to no avail. Rebooted the computer a few times too without success.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Note that I'm just speculating ... I don't know for sure if it is a router issue.

If it is a router issue, then "rebooting" vpilot or the vpilot computer will have no effect, since the router is a separate piece of machinery.

This doesn't sound like the cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ic UDP port timeout issue, since the symptoms are very different there, but it might be worth trying the fix for that issue anyway. The fix there is to ensure that port 3290 UDP is forwarded to the machine running vPilot. This forwarding is done in your router, and each router is different. Consult your router's docomeentation for how to forward a port.

Nick Dobda 1345456
Posted
Posted
The fix there is to ensure that port 3290 UDP is forwarded to the machine running vPilot. This forwarding is done in your router, and each router is different. Consult your router's docomeentation for how to forward a port.

Sounds complex! Thank you very much though for the input. All thoughts and solutions are appreciated.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Nick, when you experience this issue and you get the buzzer when pressing PTT, have you tried tuning your radio to a different frequency, and then tuning back to the frequency where you had the problem? That should force vPilot to re-connect to the voice server. I'm curious if that works. I realize it's not a solution, just a workaround, but it might shed some light.

Nick Dobda 1345456
Posted
Posted
Nick, when you experience this issue and you get the buzzer when pressing PTT, have you tried tuning your radio to a different frequency, and then tuning back to the frequency where you had the problem? That should force vPilot to re-connect to the voice server. I'm curious if that works. I realize it's not a solution, just a workaround, but it might shed some light.

I'm not at my comp, but at the time switching channels back and forth was working. I got the little humming chime thing as if everything were working great, but still got the buzz.. I was texting the controller he said he could not hear me, but was hearing the buzzes.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The controller was hearing the buzz?

Nick Dobda 1345456
Posted
Posted
The controller was hearing the buzz?

That is what he said...

Part of me hopes that I'll log back on tonight and everything will be working fine... just a bizarre anomaly.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Maybe we're not talking about the same "buzz". I thought you were referring to the buzzer that vPilot sounds when you push PTT when you're not connected to a voice server. The controller will not hear that sound.

Nick Dobda 1345456
Posted
Posted

Following up - Booting up and running the program last night everything worked as it should. No idea what happened two nights ago-

The two things I saw that were happening was the frequency was not turning blue, and I was getting a buzz when I PTT.

It doesn't matter now, but if it happens again I'd be curious to know how to fix the problem.