You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

3 problems I have on vatsim

james smith 1383766

james smith 1383766
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi, I have a few problems on vatsim

1 all other planes are plain white

2 my fps drops between 5 and 8

3 when ATC contacts me I have to keep asking for them to say again because the audio quality is poor

is there any fixes to these problems

Edited by Guest

Morten Jelle
Posted
Posted

Hi James,

Your issues are very little detailed, so I'll try to sum up some things for you.

1: Do you have any AI addon installed? If not, that explains why you only see a default white aircraft

2: Check your settings - if you have any addons, make sure they don't get shown in your pilot client

3: Check your microphone settings. Calibrate your microphone in your pilot client and make sure it is proper setup in Windows.

Morten Jelle

VATSIM Network Supervisor, Team Lead - Supervisor Team 1

spacer.png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

1. Need to know your pilot client (e.g. vPilot, SB, FSInn, XSB). [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming perhaps vPilot. Have you installed AI? AI doesn't come with the pilot clients, you have to buy it and install it or obtain freeware and install it.

2. There are a gazillion reasons that could be happening, and most likely none of them are due to VATSIM. You'd have to give us a bit more information to go on here, such as your system specs, did you force your pilot client to render other aircraft using high-def models (e.g. PMDG, Aerosoft, etc. aircraft), etc. The biggest question is how does this compare with your non-VATSIM experience and what is different between your VATSIM and non-VATSIM environments.

3. Again, a myriad of potential issues here. Initial thoughts include are you using wav sound (if not, try that), are you using VHF distortion (if so, shut it off), etc. The voice codec used on the network is quite old, so certainly not crystal clear, so you're starting with something less than stellar to begin with, but most folks still find it quite tolerable and usable.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

james smith 1383766
Posted
Posted

Morten Jelle

1: Do you have any AI addon installed? If not, that explains why you only see a default white aircraft

2: Check your settings - if you have any addons, make sure they don't get shown in your pilot client

3: Check your microphone settings. Calibrate your microphone in your pilot client and make sure it is proper setup in Windows

Morten Jelle answer

1: I have WOAI but its not installed

2: how do I do that

3: done that but not been on vatsim yet so I don't know if its fixed

Don Desfosse

1. Need to know your pilot client (e.g. vPilot, SB, FSInn, XSB). [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming perhaps vPilot. Have you installed AI? AI doesn't come with the pilot clients, you have to buy it and install it or obtain freeware and install it.

2. There are a gazillion reasons that could be happening, and most likely none of them are due to VATSIM. You'd have to give us a bit more information to go on here, such as your system specs, did you force your pilot client to render other aircraft using high-def models (e.g. PMDG, Aerosoft, etc. aircraft), etc. The biggest question is how does this compare with your non-VATSIM experience and what is different between your VATSIM and non-VATSIM environments.

3. Again, a myriad of potential issues here. Initial thoughts include are you using wav sound (if not, try that), are you using VHF distortion (if so, shut it off), etc. The voice codec used on the network is quite old, so certainly not crystal clear, so you're starting with something less than stellar to begin with, but most folks still find it quite tolerable and usable

Don Desfosse answer

1. I have WOAI but its not installed and I have vpilot

2. PC specs Intel® Core i5-5200U [email protected] RAM 4gb

my pilot client renders all my planes when it starts

I have PMDG 747 NGX and 777 I also have Aerosoft A318 A319 A320 A321 and QW 757

Morten Jelle
Posted
Posted

If you want to see the other traffic, you will have to use an AI-addon like WOAI and then let vPilot find them using "Model matching". There is some tutorials on Youtube, that you can use.

You can calibrate your microphone in the vPilot settings.

Morten Jelle

VATSIM Network Supervisor, Team Lead - Supervisor Team 1

spacer.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

If you're going to use YouTube tutorials for vPilot set up, make sure they are for vPilot version 2 ... model matching completely changed in version 2, it's much more automatic now. Many YouTube vids are going to be for version 1.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Morton and Ross are both correct.

1. You need to install your WoAI aircraft for vPilot to be able to use them to display others in a livery. Right now, vPilot is essentially saying, "Hmmm, he doesn't have any AI installed, so all I can do is show all the aircraft he sees as [whatever you have specified to show non-AI-matching aircraft (which the default for FSX is a white Airbus A320)]."

2. Your FPS is indeed most likely as low as it is due to your system specifications/capabilities. Your system is barely capable of running FSX, and is not capable of running it very well. Your display settings likely need to be set quite low for FSX to even work. Your system does not meet the minimum system requirements required to run the PMDG NGX, 747 II, or 777, and is barely capable of running the other aircraft.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

james smith 1383766
Posted
Posted

but my fsx runs fine when I'm not on vatsim