You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Private Messages with X-Squawk Box

Chris Kirkman 1396980

Chris Kirkman 1396980
Posted
Posted

Seems like something simple, but I don't know how to send a PM. Would be helpful to direct communicate with a controller for a quick exchange of off-line text.

Thanks,

Chris

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

All commands can be found here.

".msg OAK_CTR (message)" without the quotes.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
".msg OAK_CTR (message)" without the quotes.

Just make certain it's .msg that you typed, because (at least in other clients; I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume it's the same with xSquawkBox) any unrecognized command (if you typo it or accidentally use .mes) will be interpreted as a message to be sent out over the channel. It's particularly embarr[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing if you were PMing someone to laugh about someone else's goof-up. (Not that this has ever happened to me... )

Side note... in vPilot, I now use .chat {callsign} to open a chat tab first, then type the message in there, to prevent making the same gaff. I learn from my ... err ... other people's mistakes... lol.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Chris Kirkman 1396980
Posted
Posted

thanks guys.

• 2 weeks later...
Jerry Olson 1398009
Posted
Posted

I keep trying to Private Message when flying on the network. I see someone on VatSpy and I hit the Number Pad * Key. The Box comes up with .MSG CR_APP

I type something and then it looks like this

.MSG CR_APP N15270 Do You read me ENTER

I have tried it this way

.MSG CR_APP ENTER

I have never got an answer so I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas?

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted
I keep trying to Private Message when flying on the network. I see someone on VatSpy and I hit the Number Pad * Key. The Box comes up with .MSG CR_APP

I type something and then it looks like this

.MSG CR_APP N15270 Do You read me ENTER

I have tried it this way

.MSG CR_APP ENTER

I have never got an answer so I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas?

Option 1

.msg (lower case)

CR_APP (you are sending a message to CR_APP)

N15270 Do you read me (The message you are sending)

.msg CR_APP N15270 Do you read me

CR_APP (A controller) recieves a "click" sound, and his "M" box lights up blue and starts flashing 1 second blue/1 second grey.

Once that controller double clicks the "See private messages" window, he will see "N15270 Do you read me"

- This is an active thing the controller needs to do, and in vpilot, the "click" sound is REALLY quiet. Can't speak for other clients.

Option 2

.msg (lower case)

N15270 (you are sending a message to N15270)

Do you read me (The message you are sending)

.msg N15270 Do you read me

N15270 (a pilot) recieves a "Ding Dong" and the text chat in squawkbox/vpilot/fsinn opens, and if using FSX/P3D/FS9 sees your message "Do you read me" in green text along the top of his simulator primary screen without clicking anything.

Option 3

.msg

YOUROWNCALLSIGN

Someone Else's callsign do you read me

Then nothing will happen, because you sent yourself a message.

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted

The first version is correct, you don't need to add your own callsign as it's added automatically, though it doesn't hurt if you do. Case doesn't matter in my experience (I usually type everything lowercase).

KntU2Cw.jpg