You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New "Fence" Line in Datablocks

Andrew Doubleday

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

Wondering if anyone can provide any insight into the new "Fence" line that was recently implemented into ERAM and if there might be any plans to incorporate this in a future update to vERAM? I've only heard some limited information it. Thanks.

Andrew James Doubleday | Twitch Stream: Ground_Point_Niner

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I don't know anything about it, but I'll have an opportunity to ask about it an ERAM facility soon, so I'll see what I can learn.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

Sounds good Ross. The information I was able to obtain speaking with a friend in the field tonight:

"The fence is an upsidedown "L" essentially that runs along the entire side of the left and top of the datablock. It can be toggled on/off. Most controllers have it off just because they aren't used to it so no change=good. The purpose of it is to be able to provide a divider to the eye between the datablock and the other info that they are now placing outside the fence. Currently, the stuff outside the fence consists only of the "R" if you don't have track control of the aircraft, the auto handoff inhibitor carrot, and our new comm status indicator. As nexgen and datacom continue to be rolled out, we are supposed to be getting more things outside of the fence which nobody is happy about for the obvious clutter reason."

So, essentially I guess it can be off for now, but I'm guessing that will be changing in the future.

Here's a rough example of how this looks on the scope when it's on:

_____

|AAL123

^ | 300C

R|123 342

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

Apparently next to the callsign on the left side of the Fence is a comm indicator that shows when pilots on are frequency, looks like a small wifi symbol when the pilot is on, nothing displays when they are not on.

Ex:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lhspbjykyn592h/commindicator.jpg?dl=0

Brandon Rodgers 1077574
Posted
Posted

I don't know anyone who runs with the portal fence displayed in my area. But from what I've been led to believe. Eventually, there will be a white box in the same line with the aircraft id that indicated whether an aircraft is data communications capable. Below that is the Visual Communications Indicator and below that is the Track control tag.

From what I gather, they are trying their hardest to make everything that is displayed on the EDST displayable on the Radar screen as well. In the next couple of months, automated point outs will be introduced. I haven't gotten to play with the newest build of ERAM, but when you PVD (point out command) an aircraft, it will display a P above the aircraft's id on the radar screen. You will be able to click the P and it will display all sectors that have been PVD'd be you. The controller receiving the point out will be able to click on the P on their own screen and acknowledge the point out and the controller initiating the point out P should turn to an A. Again, we haven't gotten to play with it, only done some computer based training about it.

Another cool addition will eventually be that the VCI will automatically turn on when the aircraft has tuned your frequency.

Dominic Nguyen
Posted
Posted

Is this coming out on the EAD600 build?

Ryan Geckler
Posted
Posted

It's on EAD6, yes.

Ryan Geckler - GK | Former VATUSA3 - Division Training Manager

VATSIM Minneapolis ARTCC | FAA Miami ARTCC 

• 2 years later...
Marcus Miller
Posted
Posted

Any chance of a VCI symbol being added to vERAM? Gotta get ready for when VATSIM incorporates DATACOM.

Marcus Miller

Houston Air Traffic Manager

spacer.png

• 2 months later...
Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Any update on this?

• 3 months later...
Ethan Hawes
Posted
Posted

+1 Been Dwell'ing blocks to know when people check in and leave freq. Would be great to have this in addition to the anchor line functionality!

ETHAN HAWES 
Pilot Training Department
##  [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

• 2 months later...
Marcus Miller
Posted
Posted

Anchor line or LF functionality would be awesome!!

Marcus Miller

Houston Air Traffic Manager

spacer.png