You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Divisional/regional ATC event

Mats Edvin Aaro

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone!

Following the annual VATSIM UK Live! event, I envy the people there. I would love to be a part of a real life meet-up for VATSIM pilots as well as ATC, where we can get together and know the faces behind the positions.

I am proposing that either VATEUD or VATEUR hosts a m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive event, inviting controllers from the whole division/region to get together for a m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive LAN, somewhere in Europe. Of course, this requires a tremendous amount of planning, but I’m sure there’s a lot of people who would want to be a part of such an event.

What do you guys think about this? Would it be remotely possible?

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

Morten Jelle
Posted
Posted

Hosting such an event does not only requires an serious amount of planning, but usually also costs a lot of money.

I know a few vACC's are hosting real-life events - some once a year, some even twice a year or more.

However, hosting a m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive event, like you are proposing has a downside, because a lot of the members inside VATEUD for instance, will not be able to attend, because of the distance. The area covered by VATEUD and also VATEUR is much bigger than the UK division as well. Of course many people would like to attend, but how many are actually interested in planning such an event? That's a huge task too.

Morten Jelle

VATSIM Network Supervisor, Team Lead - Supervisor Team 1

spacer.png

Wygene Chong 1089621
Posted
Posted

Apart from holding it at the 'VATSIM Convention' (which was in London this year), I cannot see this happening on a regular basis at a VATEUD level. It is just too much work and it is difficult for VATEUD to get even purely online events together across the division.

Closer to home for you, Finland hosts an annual live controlling event: Fly & See Santa. It is mainly Finnish members that turn up though, at MIK near Helsinki. Copenhagen hosted a real world tower visit a couple of years ago - I do not remember if there was a live controlling event as well. Last year Iceland hosted a real world meet up in Reykjavik but the turnout was not worth the effort - again a live controlling event was envisaged as part of the plan.

Wygene Chong

C1 Controller | Iceland | Greenland | Faroe Islands

VATSIM Scandinavia