You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Newb can't hear correctly!

Francois Drolet 1405593

Francois Drolet 1405593
Posted
Posted

Hi!

I am new to vatsim,, I do all the homeworks I can to be as okay as it must be..

I tried my first talk attempt today after a long time of observation, only for a touch and go , but I understood the atc in 3 by 5 and told him. He hear me 5 by 5 he said.

He was giving me squawk and altimeter and a runway to take off , I try to read back but after make him repeat 2 or 3 times because I heard half of what he said because I heard him scaterred if I can say this way, I panicked , said ''sorry sorry sorry'' and rage quit.

I feel so bad now, How can we communicate when communication is blurry on one side?

Wygene Chong 1089621
Posted
Posted

As ATC, if I know a pilot is not hearing me well, I would use text after the 2nd attempt Feel free to say 'can you please send the message by text?' No need to panic because it's perfectly normal to request text. You can still respond to the controller by voice.

Wygene Chong

C1 Controller | Iceland | Greenland | Faroe Islands

VATSIM Scandinavia

Jonathan Fong
Posted
Posted

Don't panic, you did fine!

Sadly, VATSIM's voice quality isn't too good right now because of its outdated codec (which is being replaced soon I hear, so that's good). It's entirely normal not to catch what people are saying - it happens in real life too!

If you can't hear ATC, ask them to send the message over text. There's no harm in doing so and most all controllers will be happy to do so, especially if you mark down that you're a newbie in your remarks (in which case most controllers would give you a wide birth and be more forgiving regardless).

P/S: [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming you're using vPilot - next time you fly, try toggling the VHF filter in settings on and off. Some people prefer it on and others off for better readability.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

It also gets easier the more experience you gain, because you begin to be able to know what the controller will say before they say it.

Even if they do something that catches you by surprise, there's only one of three or four things that could be coming, so you can figure out which one of those it was when they say it -- even if it wasn't the one you were expecting.

Stick with it! Don't give up! The sense of accomplishment you'll feel months from now will be well worth it.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Francois Drolet 1405593
Posted
Posted

Thank you to everybody! Your advises really helped me!

Robert Cardone 1323915
Posted
Posted

I have many years experience in the real world as a pilot in an area with heavy ATC and I also am a retired broadcast engineer so I am not unsure of ATC communications or audio. I just resumed flying Vatsim after many years away from simming and Vatsim. What I have run into, is controllers that are either using a very cheap mic, or their head position is changing as they speak, in relation to their mic during their transmission . When they start a transmission, the first part of the transmission is audible, and towards the end it fades away and becomes garbled. The faster they speak, the worse this gets

Just last night, I ran into two controllers, where this happened in the majority of their transmissions. I wasn't flying at that point, just listening to the back and forth, between the controller and the pilots, and many times the pilot ( whose transmissions were crystal clear) had to ask the controller to repeat their instructions. On flights I have done, I have found myself on occasion, guessing at what the controller said, which in real life should never happen. Thinking about this , last evening, I have decided that if it is a long clearance for instance, that is unclear, I think I will start asking the controller to send me a text of their transmission, telling them that I just can't understand their transmission.

a2abanner182.jpg

Robert Cardone 1323915
Posted
Posted

Excellent video on this topic.

a2abanner182.jpg

Robert Cardone 1323915
Posted
Posted
Excellent video on this topic.

I followed the suggestion that was in this video about splitting the sound between ATC and the sim sounds. I did not have a USB headset, just a regular audio headset, so I purchased a USB adapter on Amazon, that has a headset output. Then I set the sound in Vpilot to use this output for the headset. The sim sounds come out of my speakers, and the V pilot sound out of the headset, and it makes a world of difference in the clarity of the ATC sound now.

a2abanner182.jpg

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
I set the sound in Vpilot to use this output for the headset. The sim sounds come out of my speakers, and the V pilot sound out of the headset, and it makes a world of difference in the clarity of the ATC sound now.

I do the same, and the bonus effect is that the wife and kids aren't deprived from hearing the glorious sounds of the 737NGX spooling to TOGA thrust booming from my home office few times a week.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png