You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Directs in Canada and the U.S.

Andrej Lippay

Andrej Lippay
Posted
Posted

Hey all,

say I am flying from Europe to the West Coast and jet routes will increase my overall trip length. Are there any rules on directs? Would respective ARTCCs be fine with a flight plan with directs?

I know that European airspace is very limited and there are certain directs routes allowed.

Here are samples of two flight plans:

SONEB UP64 TENLI UL602 SUPUR UP1 GODOS P1 ROKAN N96 NEXUS UP59 BALIX DCT 62N020W DCT ELREX DCT 64N030W 65N040W 65N050W DCT CLAVY N898A MUSVA DCT YFB SCAG YBR J549 ISN DCT MLS DCT BPI DCT ODUCE J202 FFU DCT BLD J107 HEC

and

NVO Y868 SOGRI UL608 DENUT UL610 GILDA M14 STOAT UL613 TLA UN601 NEVIS UP24 NINEX UP59 BALIX DCT 62N020W 64N030W 65N040W DCT CLAVY N896A TEFFO DCT DUGNO SCAG YBR J562 DIK DCT CZI DCT OCS DCT MLF J107 HEC

Thanks!

Andrej

Ryan Geckler
Posted
Posted

Airways aren't required for flight in the US, so yes.

However, be sure to file a STAR - you pick the most appropriate one and if we need to change it we will.

Ryan Geckler - GK | Former VATUSA3 - Division Training Manager

VATSIM Minneapolis ARTCC | FAA Miami ARTCC 

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

Within Canada and the U.S., we normally don't write "DCT" between waypoints either. It's presumed if you simply write CZI OCS MLF that you mean CZI DCT OCS DCT MLF.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

Andrej Lippay
Posted
Posted

Dear Ryan and Evan,

thanks for the clarification. Good to know! The DCT format is used in Europe as far as I am aware it is based on ICAO. I know that FAA format is different (as pointed out by Evan).

Cheers,

Andrej

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

For route planning between Europe and the US, I recommend using SimBrief. It's not perfect, but it works rather well. With the example below I had to avoid non-turbojet arrivals (KIMMO3, BOGET1) for instance.

EDDL-KLAX: SONE6T SONEB UP64 TENLI UL602 MIMVA L602 EMLON M79 NATEB N610 STN UN601 AKIVO UP60 ATSIX NATC SAVRY N808A SINGA YVP YMU GRAND SCAK VBI GFK DPR J107 OVETO HAKMN ANJLL1

KLAX-EDDL: ORCKA2 HAILO FFU J202 ODUCE SHR KIXCO YBR SCAG YFB NALDI 65N060W 65N050W 65N040W 64N030W 62N020W ATSIX UP60 AKIVO LONAM UL7 PAM UP62 TEBRO TEBR3G

I highly recommend reading this topic on the differences between European and US/CAN procedures.

* In Germany, you're actually supposed to file SIDs and STARs (for lost communication purposes if I remember correctly).

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

To add to what others have said, it is perfectly fine to file directs in Canada and the US. A lot less strict than in Europe. Ideally, you should try to file at least 1 point in each FIR/ARTCC, but thats not required. You're even allowed to file lat/long within Canada.

New York ARTCC

Andrej Lippay
Posted
Posted

Hi Josh and Sebastien,

thanks for your answers. I should have stated earlier that SIDs and STARs are filled properly via PFPX. But I just wanted to focus on the route segment, hence I have left it out.

Cheers,

Andrej

Ryan Geckler
Posted
Posted

We consider them part of the route, which is why we brought it up

Ryan Geckler - GK | Former VATUSA3 - Division Training Manager

VATSIM Minneapolis ARTCC | FAA Miami ARTCC 

Andrej Lippay
Posted
Posted
We consider them part of the route, which is why we brought it up

Understood and thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Andrej

• 2 weeks later...
Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted
Dear Ryan and Evan,

thanks for the clarification. Good to know! The DCT format is used in Europe as far as I am aware it is based on ICAO. I know that FAA format is different (as pointed out by Evan).

Cheers,

Andrej

IFR aircraft in the US file ICAO and VFR will shortly. DCT is used on ICAO FPs (even in FAA-land), but VATSIM uses the traditional FAA Domestic Flight Plan format for FPs (thus DCT isn't required). But if/when VATSIM moves to ICAO, it'll be customary to file it.

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted
Dear Ryan and Evan,

Cheers,

Andrej

IFR aircraft in the US file ICAO and VFR will shortly. DCT is used on ICAO FPs (even in FAA-land), but VATSIM uses the traditional FAA Domestic Flight Plan format for FPs (thus DCT isn't required). But if/when VATSIM moves to ICAO, it'll be customary to file it.

That said, in Canada, I file NAV CANADA flight plans (close to ICAO) regularly online and have never used "DCT". When I look at them after they get ATC-approved and on FlightAware, I have never seen "DCT" used.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted
Dear Ryan and Evan,

Cheers,

Andrej

That said, in Canada, I file NAV CANADA flight plans (close to ICAO) regularly online and have never used "DCT". When I look at them after they get ATC-approved and on FlightAware, I have never seen "DCT" used.

FlightAware filters them out on ICAOs (NAV CAN's Canadian flight plan form doesn't require them, ICAO still does).. across service B message traffic, they are added/left in there, though. When NAVCAN joins the rest of us on ICAO with the ICAO rules, they'll need to .