You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Newbie question, Clearance for VFR

Robert Cardone 1323915

Robert Cardone 1323915
Posted
Posted

I am a licensed pilot since the 80's, and just started flying vatsim again after a decade away from it. I went on two VFR flights today, one in the Anchorage area and one in the Baltimore area. Both times I was asked to get a clearance from Clr DEL. The only time i can remember getting a clearance in the past was for IFR flights. Is this something new where they are required for VFR too?

a2abanner182.jpg

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Were you departing from a Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B airport? If so, yes, some (many?) airports will direct you to Clearance/Delivery for your Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B airspace clearance (and, presumably, to create a flight strip and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] it to the Ground controller for sequencing).

Otherwise, no, you'd normally just contact Ground and ask for taxi to the active for departure. If you planned on getting flight following, you'd probably want to let the ground controller know that as well.

Robert Cardone 1323915
Posted
Posted

Thanks.

a2abanner182.jpg

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

Many Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] C airports will also defer you to Clearance Delivery (if staffed) for a transponder code and altitude [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignment. Even at a very busy Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] D TRSA airport, that could happen too.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

Joseph Jucha 1343412
Posted
Posted

In our ARTCC, you will be approved for a direction of flight and provided with basic information, not truly 'cleared'. That would be evident when you called in asking to taxi. I'll only be asking the direction of flight and acft type. I'll build up your flightstrip and have you squawk VFR in Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] C, or give you a code in Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B. I would also 'Clear' you into the Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B airspace.

I know that might all be a bit in the weeds, but the short of it I I'm going to ask direction and acft type..For what it's worth, that I will be asking is in the ATIS (if posted).

I got to the door!