You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Cannot speak with ATC correctly!

Don Smith

Don Smith
Posted
Posted

From other Forums, I have adhered to the Mouse Drift Problem directions with the following actions:

START -> Control Panel - > Mouse Properties -> Pointer Options - > Hide pointer while typing (Unchecked)

This has cured my Mouse Drift Problem, but I have another more important problem at hand.

SYSTEM: Running 3 monitors, Intel i7 CPU, 930 @ 2.80 GHz, RAM 12.0 GB, 64-bit OS, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, Windows 7 Pro

FLT SIMS: P3Dv4 & FSX SE

My flight sim program demands that the mouse come back to the flight at hand even after I try to access another program on another monitor.

This limits me from texting and/or speaking with VATSIM ATC. I can only quickly type three characters at a time of my text for position reports or speaking quickly while live with the area ATC. Speaking to ATC and Checking-In – I barely get three seconds to report after pressing firmly pressing my designated key for the correct communications channel when the P3Dv4 and/or FSX SE are in use. I must come across ‘broken’ to ATC but really the flight sim program draws me back into the flight in progress and out of the comms.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your time!

"Tower - ASO455 - Reporting a flock of birds on short final!"

Roger Hanson
Posted
Posted

Don, stupid question but have you got "Pause on task switch" unchecked in the Options/settings/general menu?

Regards, Rog Hanson

Don Smith
Posted
Posted

Hey Roger

I remember a Professor some years back saying, no 'stupid question(s)', I agree.

'Pause on Task Switch' was not checked.

Thanks for the reminder!

Don

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted

What is the priority in task manager? If it is the top level then it may be forcing you back into the program.

Cheers,

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief
Vancouver FIR Senior Instructor

Visit us: https://ganderoceanic.ca

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo

Don Smith
Posted
Posted

Hey Andrew

I am igornant about ..."the priority in task manager?".

How does one go about setting the priority for the Task Manager?

Thank you for your response, Sir!

Don

Joseph Jucha 1343412
Posted
Posted

Just to throw more gas on the fire. Consider opening vPilot as an Administrator.

I got to the door!

Don Smith
Posted
Posted

I still have a major problem with coherent communications with VATSIM ATC and I really need help trying to solve my dilemma.

After talking with some of the guys that I fly with often, they also have come up blank as to the resolution(s) of my problem. They have in their wisdom suggested that the Flight Sim (FSX SE and P3D4.1) program that I am flying at the time demands that the cursor be present and active all of the time in that program.

I have implemented all of the previous suggestions and recommendations offered but I still have this problem(s). I sincerely welcome any of your thoughts and hints.

• 2 weeks later...
Don Smith
Posted
Posted

Do FSX SE and/or P3Dv4.1 have (a) keystroke(s) that demand the cursor at all times while flying? I guess I will continue to avoid any ATC that come alive in my area so that I can continue to fly on VATSIM.

Thanks for any help!

Don

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

No, neither program requires the cursor be active on that program. Your best bet is to ensure:

1. Pause on task switch is NOT selected

2. Run your simulator as an administrator

3. Run your client as an administrator

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Don Smith
Posted
Posted

Thank You, Don

"1. Pause on task switch is NOT selected

2. Run your simulator as an administrator

3. Run your client as an administrator"

1. Check

2. Check

3. Investigating

I will update after learning more about running client as an administrator (Unknown).

I was wondering if my keyboard was inadvertently hit with a combination of unintentional keystrokes that would cause my problem(s). Additionally, I was wondering if I reduced the monitors from three to two monitors thereby eliminating components one-by-one until it is hopefully back to normal. I can then talk with any VATSIM ATC without continual interruptions.

Thanks for the help!

Don

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Hi Don,

If you have Windows User Access Control enabled, you can right click the program icon and Run As Administrator.

I doubt your monitors would have anything to do with it.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations