You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Dennis Whitley Takes Over as Atlanta ATM

Kyle Ramsey 810181

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

Paul Biderman today announced that Dennis Whitley has accepted the positon of ATM in Atlanta. Dennis is a real world ATP commercial pilot and brings a wealth of experience to this airspace.

Please join Paul and the rest of the VATUSA staff in welcoming Dennis in his new role.

Kyle Ramsey

Brandon Grchan 925585
Posted
Posted
Paul Biderman today announced that Dennis Whitley has accepted the positon of ATM in Atlanta. Dennis is a real world ATP commercial pilot and brings a wealth of experience to this airspace.

Please join Paul and the rest of the VATUSA staff in welcoming Dennis in his new role.

A S3 running the largest ARTCC in vatusa.....very bold.....GOOD LUCK

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted

Andre Koch ran VACC-SAG as an S3

Brandon Grchan 925585
Posted
Posted

Yes.....but how long was he on the network before that?

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted

Yes.....but how long was he on the network before that?

Oh, yes - forgot about that

I'm Chief in Moncton -- only been here 11 months now, and took over when in my 4th month.. but we're no Atlanta

Andrew Musselman
Posted
Posted

This ought to be interesting... 6 months on vatsim eh? Good luck.

1000.png

Brandon Grchan 925585
Posted
Posted

maybe 3 months

Paul Heaney 879309
Posted
Posted

AN S3 Running Atlanta is very BOLD. But I wish him luck, it will be a hard road ahead.

Jeffery Williams 849847
Posted
Posted

Folks, S3 or not, Dennis has a wealth of aviation and management experience, and I am confident that he will quickly adjust to the position of ATM. I look forward to good things to come from ZTL in the near future. Congratulations Dennis.

Robert Burkhead 810310
Posted
Posted

Dennis-- offically on behalf of ZJX, welcome to the team. I look forward to working with you.

Robert Burkhead

Jacksonville ARTCC

Daniel Hill 810430
Posted
Posted

Good luck. I look forward to seeing the ATL ARTCC return to its former greatness.

Respectfully,

Daniel Hill 810430

[Just Plain Ole' Dan]

Richard Ruminski
Posted
Posted

Welcome aboard Dennis. Being a new ATM myself, the only advice I can give you is do not sit in front of Richard Green at staff meetings.

Ric Ruminski I1

VATUSA11

Communications Manager VATUSA

email: VATUSA11 (at) vatusa.net

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted
Welcome aboard Dennis. Being a new ATM myself, the only advice I can give you is do not sit in front of Richard Green at staff meetings.

LMFAO

James Brickell 852953
Posted
Posted

Is he like a camel? Wait..I just don't want to know.

Congrats Dennis. Like I said, I'm sure you've got some great ideas to get things on the road.

By the way..loving the bad attitudes in this thread. Here's mine - grow up and get stuffed. :] Have a nice day guys! I sure am.

Nicholas Bartolotta 912967
Posted
Posted

Congrats Dennis! Looking forward to seeing where you take ZTL!

Nick Bartolotta - ZSE Instructor, pilot at large

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

- Capt. Don Lanham, ATA Airlines

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

Congrats and good luck from up north!

Andrew James Doubleday | Twitch Stream: Ground_Point_Niner

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Joe Caban 844086
Posted
Posted

...really you ppl the decision is made...he has the job you can support him or not. I support him. If you don't support him make a post saying you don't like grown men and leave it at that. Everyone's entitled to their opinion in a forum...but really back to business. Respect the man until he proves himself otherwise.

Congrats to D.

P.S. to Daniel Hill: Former greatness?? You must mean when you were in charge of course...I remember joining your ZTL...lol. Jeff Williams thanks for all the help and guidance.

Regards,

JX

Jeff Turner
Posted
Posted

Very true Andrew, then again, Dennis has shown a level of committment and qualifications that we need in ZTL. If that decision is a source of tension or frustration for you, my email address is vatusa1 (at) vatusa.org and I would be more then happy to discuss the process for you.

You sure there isn't something more to your post then what you are leading out?

Agree with James Brickell 100%

Jeff "JU" Turner

US Army Retired

http://www.skyblueradio.com

21.png

SBR_banner-468-x-60.jpg

Joe Caban 844086
Posted
Posted

You sure there isn't something more to your post then what you are leading out?

Here's to those of us who keep it real! I think that comment applies throughout this forum.

Regards,

JX

Daniel Hill 810430
Posted
Posted
P.S. to Daniel Hill: Former greatness?? You must mean when you were in charge of course...I remember joining your ZTL...lol. Jeff Williams thanks for all the help and guidance.

I remember when you joined, too. ROTFLMAO. Some people will try to turn even the best of wishes into something negative.

Respectfully,

Daniel Hill 810430

[Just Plain Ole' Dan]

Jeffery Williams 849847
Posted
Posted

By the way, Dennis joined us at VATSIM about 4 months ago. Some of the folks that are making the negative comments about this decision joined VATSIM only 8-10 months before Dennis, and are also holding staff positions. I'm sorry, but I don't feel that the extra few months and a few more ratings makes a person more qualified than someone with an abundance of real life management experience. Thats just the way it is.

Joe Caban 844086
Posted
Posted

Amen Jeff. I love when the truth comes out...and to those who HAVE been here for a while...why doubt and be negative??? if you aren't contributing to ZTL mind your business. If you aren't helping... find somewhere you can be helpful. If your just throwing mud and sly comments cause you don't have the male genital organs to be direct and speak your mind... be a man, get it off ya chest, and GET OVER IT. If you feel anything negative to say about Jeff Williams, Dennis Whitley, Jeff Turner, or Paul Biderman you are mad because it's not you and that is called being a Hater. Stick to the facts...and fact is Jeff was good as an ATM, and he resigned for his own reasons, and Dennis was selected and everyone should support him.

Regards,

JX

Nicholas Bartolotta 912967
Posted
Posted

Feelin' a whole lotta love in this topic.

Nick Bartolotta - ZSE Instructor, pilot at large

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

- Capt. Don Lanham, ATA Airlines

Steve Ogrodowski 876322
Posted
Posted

Good luck Dennis!

Rating doesn't matter to hold an authoritative position. There is power and there is authority. People who desire power to exericise over others desire higher ranks for distinction, to throw "power" around.

You can have an authority in a position without exercising excessive power. An authoritative man has proven knowledge, experience, and ideas for expansion. An authoritative man is able to use reason and discretion when making and enforcing rules. An authoritative man is able to tell when he needs to get something done himself, while also equally understanding when he needs to step aside and let those around him work to accomplish something. Knowing your subordinates and staff can flourish without you exercising excessive power and restriction is a part of being a manager. To invoke a sense of pride and confidence in your controllers is your task.

VATSIM ratings can't possibly dictate whether a man can perform an ATM job well or not. There's more to being an ATM (or any other staff position) than knowing how many rules there are in the 7110.65. There is no magical "force" that makes an ARTCC suddenly manageable because a person has an I-1 rating, or even a Controller rating, and likewise, there is no reason a person cannot manage an ARTCC, even though he is a Student Controller.

Steve Ogrodowski

Terry Kocher 919807
Posted
Posted

When I first heard the news that Dennis would be taking over the ATM spot, I was a little shocked - firstly because I did not realize Dennis even applied (the requirements were to be atleast a C3), secondly because of Dennis short amount of time with us.

However, I did not realize that Dennis had so much managerial experience from the r/w - Dennis is probably a 10x better candidate than myself or any others for that matter.

Even though I don't agree with an S3 being choosen to run VATUSA's largest ARTCC, Dennis is still a great man, and a great person to work with. I think Biderman may have made a good choice - and even though many of you might strongly disagree with the decision that he made, the decision was made.. it is a done deal.

We will see where ZTL heads in the next few months.

~Terry

pilot.gif

3712.png