You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FSX PMDG 737-800 vs xplane 11 737-800 landing performance

Jan Naslund

Jan Naslund
Posted
Posted

Hello everyone,

I have recently changed from flying mostly FSX PMDG 737-800 to flying xplane 737-800 (Default aircraft).

I have noticed quite a lot of differences but one big difference is the landings.

I have landed at the same airports with the same ref speed (138 kts) and in the FSX PMDG the percieved speed at landing is much higher and i always had to use reverse trust and brakes to not overrun the runway.

In the xplane11 the perceived speed over the runway is much slower and i never have to use reverse trust as i don't need it. I dont even have to start braking immediately after landing, i can let it roll and lose speed before braking. No problems with runnning out of runway.

Has anyone else noticed this and which model is more true to the "real thing"?

Best Regards / Jan

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

4 real world videos of 737-800 cockpits where the reverse thrust is deployed within a second or 2 after touchdown.

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Jan Naslund
Posted
Posted

Thanks Trent for the videos,

The feel of speed over the runway look more similar to the FSX landings i do than the Xplane 11 ones.

Of course in the last video the approach and landing was performed at a higher than normal speed due to strong winds but the first video looks to be somewhere in between FSX and xplane11.

I don't need to use reverse trust at all in the xplane 11. I don't have autobraking set either.

After landing i can let it roll and then apply brakes just so i can turn off onto the taxiway.

I will try to apply reverse trust only without brakes to see what it is like then.

Best Regards / Jan

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted (edited)
I will try to apply reverse t[h]rust only without brakes to see what it is like then.

Try turning on the autobrakes and applying reversers normally.

Edited by Guest

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
I have landed at the same airports with the same ref speed (138 kts) and in the FSX PMDG the percieved speed at landing is much higher and i always had to use reverse trust and brakes to not overrun the runway.

In the xplane11 the perceived speed over the runway is much slower and i never have to use reverse trust as i don't need it.

Just to be sure no other variables came into play, were the simulated headwinds and air temps similar in your test-cases? Headwinds and cold temps would slow your groundspeed even at the same Vref in terms of KIAS.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Jan Naslund
Posted
Posted

Hi,

No, not all parameters affecting the landing experience were the same.

I am fairly new to xplane 11 and i realized that i might not have the same landing weight in xplane as i have in FSX.

So to test this i set max weight on the aircraft, made a 1 hour flight and now the roll-out distance was quite much longer without reverse trust.

I made another flight with max weight and this time i applied reverse trust at touchdown and now the experience were more similar to FSX.

Thanks everyone for your input on this. I learn new things every day

Best Regards / Jan

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

Also a factor is a professional-ish 737 addon or a 737 plane that came shipped with xplane. I bet the first one would be more accurate anyway

spacer.png

ACCNL4 (Training Director) - Dutch VACC

Robert Cardone 1323915
Posted
Posted

The flight model in the default 737 in XP is pretty bad compared to the PMDG 737.

a2abanner182.jpg

Luka Stevens
Posted
Posted
The flight model in the default 737 in XP is pretty bad compared to the PMDG 737.

If you really want to compare I suggest trying it with the IXEG 733.

LUKA STEVENS 
Belux vACC Training Director

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram

arrvatA.png

• 1 month later...
  • Board of Governors
Roger Curtiss
Posted
Posted

Use of reverse thrust is standard practice in 737 operations. To have landings where it is not needed would be unusual and could be a result of an absurdly low landing weight.

To not use reverse thrust is not indicative of real-world practices so if realism is your goal...

Roger Curtiss

VATGOV12

VP-Virtual Airlines & Special Ops

r.curtiss(at)vatsim.net

810159.png810159.png

marcus holmes
Posted
Posted
Use of reverse thrust is standard practice in 737 operations. To have landings where it is not needed would be unusual and could be a result of an absurdly low landing weight.

To not use reverse thrust is not indicative of real-world practices so if realism is your goal...

Not true, I have been on a number of 737 flights in real life when they have not used reverse thrust. It is all dependent on airline SOPs, runway conditions and lengths etc.