You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

First VATUSA Academy Graduate!

Kyle Ramsey 810181

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

Jeff Turner and Jason Sutton today announced that Thomas Mauger had reached a milestone for the VATUSA Academy as it's first graduate.

"This has been a long time coming and marks the first of many successful, trained controllers to emerge from our academy. I want to commend Thomas for his dedication in sticking to the program until it was done and to Jason and his team of instructors and mentors for their dedication and belief in the academy concept," remarked Turner.

Please join us in recognizing Thomas on his historic achievement.

Kyle Ramsey

George Marinakis
Posted
Posted

Coolness!

Congratulations on your trailblazing efforts Thomas.

George S. Marinakis

VATSIM6, co-Founder, VATSIM

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Terry Kocher 919807
Posted
Posted

Congratz Thomas and I'm looking forward for more to come out of the academy soon!

pilot.gif

3712.png

Todd Kolmodin 822397
Posted
Posted

Congratulations Thomas!

Todd

Todd Kolmodin /C1

1798.png

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

It's really neat seeing the idea of the academy coming to fruition with the graduation of the first student. Hats off to all involved! As the ATM for a busy facility, I can say that it really lightens our load knowing that we'll be sent candidates who already have the basics down, rather than having to teach from scratch.

Good stuff!

Jeff Turner
Posted
Posted (edited)

Exactly Keith... I can't tell you how proud I am of VATUSA and the accomplishment not only of Thomas but of all the mentors and Instructors that volunteered to come help out. And to the many ATMs and TAs that offered up their own staff to help out.

Truly makes me proud to be a part of VATUSA and can't enough of the idea of this that Jim Johnson came up with, let alone the hard work of Jason Sutton and Craig Merriman that make the wheels turn... AND Shannon Miller from ZSE that trained him!

Raise a gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]...

Edited by Guest

Jeff "JU" Turner

US Army Retired

http://www.skyblueradio.com

21.png

SBR_banner-468-x-60.jpg

Nicholas Bartolotta 912967
Posted
Posted

Awesome! But...why wasn't I invited to the graduation ceremony?

Nick Bartolotta - ZSE Instructor, pilot at large

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

- Capt. Don Lanham, ATA Airlines

Jeff Turner
Posted
Posted
Awesome! But...why wasn't I invited to the graduation ceremony?

I wasn't either... Go figure.

Jeff "JU" Turner

US Army Retired

http://www.skyblueradio.com

21.png

SBR_banner-468-x-60.jpg

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted
the idea of this that Jim Johnson came up with, let alone the hard work of Jason Sutton and Craig Merriman that make the wheels turn... AND Shannon Miller from ZSE that trained him!

Let's not forget Gene Guilfold and Fairfax O'Reilly who floated this idea YEARS ago as well.

The fact that it took this long to actually come to fruition only enhances the fact that it is a truly a great accomplishment. Congrats to everyone who put hard work in to help make this a reality.

Whether it was administering the project, directly working on its creation, somehow supporting it from the outside, or spending time actually training the people in it - hats off to everyone involved.

I'd be especially interested in the long term effects of this program.

Where is our first graduate headed now?

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Ethan Klapper 884347
Posted
Posted
Where is our first graduate headed now?

Looks like ZSE!

EK

Ethan Klapper

VATUSA13

VATUSA Deputy Events Director

Thomas Mauger 964993
Posted
Posted

Thanks all, it has been a pleasure to be at the academy and learn under the Vatusa Staff, the instructors that handled my stage checks, and Shannon Miller for teaching me the information I need to succed in Vatusa as well as many other aspects of being a controller on the network. For all that is wondering, yes I am heading to ZSE. It has been a pleasure to be in the academy as the first training cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] and being the first to graduate. No there wasn't an ceremony, but I did get a very nice certificate that I can frame and put on the wall, my wife is so happy for me. Well, I will see you all on the network either as a controller at ZSE or as a pilot for SWVA. Again thanks everyone.

vSECUSAV Thomas W Mauger, USAV

Commander US Army Virtual

Michael Adams 961156
Posted
Posted

Congratulations Thomas....I'm a fellow academy member myself. Hope to be graduating very soon myself. The academy is a wonderful idea and my mentor (Jason Sutton) has done very well in both aiding me and challenging me.

Again, a big congrats to you Thomas.

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

Bravo!

This is excellent news guys. Great to see the academy is working. Looking forward to getting some of the graduates at ZLA. As a long-time Instructor, I can't even begin to tell you how great it will be to get students who know what they're doing right off the bat.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Ken Pryor
Posted
Posted

Congratulations Thomas! I just started the academy yesterday and hope to join you as a graduate one of these days. Good luck in your new [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignment!

KP

Nick Comber 959257
Posted
Posted

Well done Thomas! I hope I can be the second!

signature_nick_comber.jpg

Josh Hjemvick 811983
Posted
Posted

Congrats.

CMEL.CSEL.IA.AGI.CFI.CFII.MEI.CRJ2.FO.Furloughed

Part of the Acey 80

811983.png

Shannon Miller 854617
Posted
Posted

Though I've already told you in person, Thomas, I wanted to congratulate you on this forum as well. As your mentor at the academy, I take pride not only that you're the first to graduate, but also that you chose to work in the same ARTCC as me. Go ZSE!

--Shannon Miller, C3/ZSE, VATUSA Academy Mentor, PP-ASEL

Nathan Sleyster 878239
Posted
Posted

I had the pleasure of working with Thomas today in Seattle Center. Thomas was shooting me planes from tower to center right and left without hesitation. Great job, Thomas! I am very impressed in with our first graduate and with the training academy.

ZSE ATM and I1

1798.png

Brandon Grchan 925585
Posted
Posted
Though I've already told you in person, Thomas, I wanted to congratulate you on this forum as well. As your mentor at the academy, I take pride not only that you're the first to graduate, but also that you chose to work in the same ARTCC as me. Go ZSE!

--Shannon Miller, C3/ZSE, VATUSA Academy Mentor, PP-ASEL

I heard he had a good mentor