You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Passing of Former BoG Member Michael Bevington

Mark Richards

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted

It is with much sadness that VATSIM reports the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing of long time VATSIM member Michael Bevington ID 814931, who p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed away suddenly on October 21, 2017.

Full details can be found at https://www.vatsim.net/news/michael-bevington

Blue Skies Mike.

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Oh, how sad

I always enjoyed exchanging messages with him. Mike, you were one of those corner-stones that made VATSIM. Thanks for your contributions, we will remember. Take care and see you someday again!

Camden Bruno
Posted
Posted

Rest in peace, Mike! Thank you for your many contributions to the network.

Cam B.
VATSIM Supervisor

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

I had the pleasure of working with Bev while developing the PRC and writing a dozen articles or so for it. I later got to serve with him on the BoG and when he retired from the BoG I took over as VP PT and helped fulfill his vision of how the ratings would lay out. The VATSIM Pilot Ratings will remain a big part of his legacy in VATSIM and has touched tens of thousands of members.

In the summer of 2008 I was working (was doing consulting) east of where he lived and had to drive to St Louis to catch an airliner the next day early. I stopped by his house and we went out to dinner and ate some good Mexican food, then back to his house, sat on his back porch, had another beer and enjoyed a fat cigar with him, talking about life, wives, children, flying, golf, and VATSIM. I count that evening as one of the most enjoyable and mystical evenings with a wonderful friend.

I am floored at his p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing. Too soon.

Kyle Ramsey

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

When I read this I immediately thought of "No Man is an Island" by the poet John Donne, because although I did not know Michael and could not swear I ever interacted with him on VATSIM, his p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing does have an affect...on me, on you, on all of us.

No man is an island,

Entire of itself,

Every man is a piece of the continent,

A part of the main...

...Any man's death diminishes me,

Because I am involved in mankind...

-John Donne

Rest in Peace Michael and know that what you helped make continues...though now something less with your p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing...

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training