You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Connecting to network causes fps drop

EDWARD STEFANOVICH

EDWARD STEFANOVICH
Posted
Posted

Greetings.

I have started noticing that when I connect to VATSIM via vPilot causes huge fps drop, mostly at night. I am trying to figure out what is causing it. I use P3D v4 and UT Live. There is known issue with dynamic lights in P3D when flying at night with dynamic light on but I disable that option in every addon scenery. So when I fly offline fps are good, as soon as I connect to a network fps drop down to 5. I disable UT live but it did not help. Flying online is no longer possible.

Thx for looking.

Edward

Ezio Cingolani 953405
Posted
Posted

I am having the same issue. And it happens during the daytime, so it cannot be related to Dynamic Lighting issues. As soon as I connect online my FPS drop and the sim start to stutter..even if there just 2 or 3 aircraft online. Disconnect from the network and everything goes back normal. Not experienced in P3D V3 but just in V4.

I have just now updated vPilot to the latest version 2.1.11, but I have not had the time yet to test it. My issues are with 2.1.7.

I have tried different model sets, UT2, UTLive and the freeware VpilotAI package but the results do not change.

I am using a networked configuration with vPilot installed on a client laptop.

Ezio

34.png

EDWARD STEFANOVICH
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting. I use network vPilot too. Will try to update vPilot, will see if it makes any changes.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

It shouldn't matter, but does the problem occur if you don't run vPilot over the network? (I say it shouldn't matter because all the SimConnect interaction is done from the vPilot host running on the sim computer, so the network isn't involved.)

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

EDWARD STEFANOVICH
Posted
Posted

I think this is something to do with UTLive. As soon as I disable traffic in UTLive fps go up. UTlive is supposed to disable all AI traffic as soon as you connect to the network but after the latest update it does not do it anymore. I will go ahead an ask this in UTLive forum.

Thx

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I think this is something to do with UTLive. As soon as I disable traffic in UTLive fps go up. UTlive is supposed to disable all AI traffic as soon as you connect to the network but after the latest update it does not do it anymore. I will go ahead an ask this in UTLive forum.

Thx

UTLive doesn't have any way of knowing if you are connected to the network. You might be thinking of the fact that it can disable traffic if you are connected to an FSX multiplayer session, but that's not the same thing.

You have to disable AI traffic yourself.

EDWARD STEFANOVICH
Posted
Posted

Interesting.

I was told in UTlive forum that as soon as connect to the network AI traffic will be disabled. These are not my thoughts, this is what I was told in UTlive forum.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

There is actually an old, obscure, undocomeented way that they could detect through SimConnect if you are connected with Squawkbox or vPilot ... but I doubt that's what they're talking about.

You're certain they were talking about VATSIM, and not a regular multiplayer session? Do you have a link to that forum post?

EDWARD STEFANOVICH
Posted
Posted

I asked this question sometime ago in UTlive forum about low fps when I tried to connect to AVSIM and I pointed out specifically that it happened when I connect to the network for flying online. I don’t use multiplayer. I will try to find that topic.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

It used to be the case, with Squawkbox and FS9, that when you connect to VATSIM, all AI traffic is automatically turned off. (Whether that traffic was generated by UT or not.) That was because Squawkbox created an FS multiplayer session and then forced your sim to join it. That might be what they were referring to in the forums. That is no longer the case with FSX and P3D. You have to turn of AI traffic yourself.

EDWARD STEFANOVICH
Posted
Posted

OK. Thanks.

Ezio Cingolani 953405
Posted
Posted

I made a couple of flights after updating to V 2.1.11, and the results are kind of conflicting... the first flight was really good with neither FPS drops nor stutters whatsoever, while the second flight was a true nightmare....even worse that before...however, between the two flights there was a major update of the ChasePlane camera system, which, apparently has induced a lot of performance issues for many users, so as far as vPilot is concerned, V 2.1.11 could be running fine for me. I am out on a business trip in these days so I don't have a chance to make further testing, but as soon as I can I will update this post.

Ezio

34.png

EDWARD STEFANOVICH
Posted
Posted

This is really weird. I have similar issue. Sometimes fps are good and sometimes as soon as I connect to network fps drop significantly. I have no any recent updates. I disable UTlive but the problem didn’t go away. I use Ezdok. Ezdok never was an issue. On UTlive forum I was told that UTlive could not cause such issue.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
This is really weird. I have similar issue. Sometimes fps are good and sometimes as soon as I connect to network fps drop significantly. I have no any recent updates. I disable UTlive but the problem didn’t go away. I use Ezdok. Ezdok never was an issue. On UTlive forum I was told that UTlive could not cause such issue.

I know you said that Ezdok never was an issue, but it is still worth trying to connect with Ezdok disabled, in order to be certain that it hasn't recently become an issue. In computer systems with many different software components interacting with each other, a seemingly insignificant change in one of those components can cause another component to behave differently than it has in the past. When the symptoms are weird, the fix is often weird as well, thus I would go through the process of elimination and disable anything you can, even if it doesn't seem like a possible source of the issue. In other words, disable everything to the point where all that's running is vPilot and your simulator, and see if the problem persists. If not, start adding components back in, one by one.

EDWARD STEFANOVICH
Posted
Posted

Copy that.

I was just wondering how vPilot and Ezdok may have a conflict. If I fly offline no fps impact. I have done many flights offline since I have opened this topic and all was good. As soon as I connect to a network then pfs drop. Not all the time though but often. I will go ahead disable Ezdok, will see how it goes.

PS. Are vPilot updates still automatic (the software will notify when update is available) or we have to check for it somewhere?

Thx again.

Ezio Cingolani 953405
Posted
Posted

With all respect, I don't think EZCA is the problem here: I am not using EZCA in P3DV4 and I am having (or I had before the latest update...) this problem. By the way, I use EZCA in P3DV3 where I don't have any issue when connecting online, so while I agree on the principle that it might be some sort of interaction with another addon, I would tend to exclude EZCA from the list of "suspects".

Ezio

34.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Are vPilot updates still automatic (the software will notify when update is available) or we have to check for it somewhere?

As long as you have not disabled the automatic updates in the vPilot settings, then you'll still get a notification when an update is available.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
With all respect, I don't think EZCA is the problem here: I am not using EZCA in P3DV4 and I am having (or I had before the latest update...) this problem. By the way, I use EZCA in P3DV3 where I don't have any issue when connecting online, so while I agree on the principle that it might be some sort of interaction with another addon, I would tend to exclude EZCA from the list of "suspects".

You're probably right, but the main point is that we cannot rule anything out until it is truly ruled out. The fact that you're not using EZCA doesn't mean that EZCA isn't the cause for someone else. Your systems are not identical, therefore the root cause may not be identical.

There is something in common between your two systems that is causing this issue, and one possibility is that ANY simconnect add-on could trigger the issue. I doubt this is the case, but I say it just to illustrate the possibility that we cannot [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume anything when troubleshooting complex systems. That's why it is always best to go through a true process of elimination on the subject system, no matter what other users are experiencing.

Again, I too doubt that it's EZCA, but we need to be sure.

• 2 weeks later...
EDWARD STEFANOVICH
Posted
Posted

Looks like it was UTLive. Since I have disabled it in P3D option I have no fps issues.

• 5 months later...
Jose Adolfo Medina Andrade
Posted
Posted

Hi,

At first time, sorry for my bad English.

I have this problem, offline very goods fps, but connect vPilot to Vatsim and fps low to 8.

I have installed a new and fresh Windows 10 Pro on a new SSD, P3D v4.2., vPilot 2.1.17. NoT UTlive, not EZca.

A few days ago, I made a flight EHAM-EKCH, both with payware seceneries an PMDG B738. From departure all correct but on arrival the fps lows to 8, then disconnect and fps goes to 25/30. I will tryid to connect again on ground and again fps low to 8.

Please, anybody help me?

Thanks and best regardas.

J. Adolfo Medina

marcus holmes
Posted
Posted
Hi,

At first time, sorry for my bad English.

I have this problem, offline very goods fps, but connect vPilot to Vatsim and fps low to 8.

I have installed a new and fresh Windows 10 Pro on a new SSD, P3D v4.2., vPilot 2.1.17. NoT UTlive, not EZca.

A few days ago, I made a flight EHAM-EKCH, both with payware seceneries an PMDG B738. From departure all correct but on arrival the fps lows to 8, then disconnect and fps goes to 25/30. I will tryid to connect again on ground and again fps low to 8.

Please, anybody help me?

Thanks and best regardas.

What AI models are you using? or are you just using the aircraft in your sim for example PMDG 737 as AI models?

Jose Adolfo Medina Andrade
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I am using BVAI.

Thanks and best,

J. Adolfo Medina