You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vERAM Vectoring

David Epstein

David Epstein
Posted
Posted

For those of us that use vERAM what do you do to vector aircraft if you don't have Approach on? VRC you can just draw for a heading, what I have been doing since I am just making the switch to vERAM is just kind of guesstimating for the heading. Whats everyone's thoughts?

Thanks!

Camden Bruno
Posted
Posted

The entire point of ERAM is for the sake of realism. Real-world controllers learn their scope and reference points on it to give vectors and apply vector patterns within their airspace. The same applies to STARS. VRC has the ruler as a crutch and training aid.

Cam B.
VATSIM Supervisor

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

I agree with what Camden said. If you are really struggling, you could use the LA command to get a bearing. I again recommend learning your scope and making educated guesses.

Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted

You can draw an extended centerline for any runway in your airspace with "FC [iCAO] [RUNWAY]" (e.g. "FC KMSP 12L" - make sure you throw a leading zero on any runway numbered 1-9)

From there, use the headings you learned while working your way up to Center, or resort back to the time-honored method of vectoring at most ARTCCs: "Turn XX degrees left/right, say new heading"

Dhruv Kalra

VATUSA ZMP ATM | Instructor | VATSIM Network Supervisor

878508.png878508.png

David Epstein
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help.

Krikor Hajian
Posted
Posted

Worth noting that ([Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming your facility file has been set up correctly) ERAM is oriented to TRUE north, not magnetic. So, a 360 heading won't be straight up, it'll be off by whatever your magnetic variation is set to. So you can use that, as well as geographic references or runway/approach centerlines on your videomaps to vector.

Logo.png

Krikor Hajian (HI) - 1283146

Deputy Air Traffic Manager | Instructor

[email protected]

VATUSA ACE Team Member | VATSIM Supervisor

- - - - - - - - - -

BVA is on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube!