You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Reactivated after many years

Daniel Lausevic 824669

Daniel Lausevic 824669
Posted
Posted

I used to fly vatsim back around 2000-2001. I was a member of simulated southwest and routinely flew out of KSMF to various directs.

Yeah I've been out of it for quite a while. Researching hardware to rebuild my gaming rig so I can get restarted again. My original account is long gone so I created a new one four years or so.

Currently, I'm studying to get my PPL out of KSAC with Executive Flyers and I feel simulator time will only [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist me in getting accustomed to talking to ATC.

We fly with 172 trainers. My goal, after obtaining my license, is to obtain a Bellanca Super Viking and work toward a high performance rating with that beautiful bird.

I've perused through the vatsim pages and it seems things have evolved a bit since I last flew on Vatsim.

My curiousity lays with the simulator. Which one would be best fit connecting to Vatsim? X11 or MSFS?

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Welcome back Daniel. I have asked membership to reach out to you to help with your original account.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Daniel, P3D is the next generation evolution of MSFS. I still happily use FSX, but if you are looking for a new sim, P3D and XPlane are (in my opinion) the ones to consider these days. XP is a new sim, has breathtaking graphics and the aerodynamics are modeled extremely well. That said, there are many downsides in terms of lack of included scenery. Suggest starting to do some Google/forums research to do a good comparison. There may likely be folks on here that use or have used both that can help also. Most importantly, welcome back!

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

I'd recommend going for XP11 if you are flying for realism. It is the most accurate in its modeling of physics. The graphics out of the box are incredible. Unlike P3D/FSX, it does not have default scenery at every airport, however there are extensive libraries where scenery can be downloaded and really high quality ortho scenery. If you were flying mainly airliners, I would maybe go for P3d, but since you express interest in practicing while training for your PPL, I'd go with XP11.

Daniel Lausevic 824669
Posted
Posted

You guys are awesome.

I will be strictly working with GA aircraft in the sim. I'm hoping there are accurate models of stock trainers with similar instruments to mimic what I train with.

My weakest point is communication. The controllers at norcal approach, for instance, talk so fast... So I look forward to getting back into the vatsim fold. My typical airspace was out of sacramento so I spoke mostly with oakland center in my heyday.

I was reading up on MSFS and was dismayed that they licensed out development to another firm. But it's nice to see it on steam. Back in the day, MSFS was the de-facto sim. It's difficult to see that it fell by the wayside. This may be old news to yall but not to me.

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
My weakest point is communication. The controllers at norcal approach, for instance, talk so fast... So I look forward to getting back into the vatsim fold. My typical airspace was out of sacramento so I spoke mostly with oakland center in my heyday.

Might want to check out the Oakland ARTCC on here. I don't know if you've considered learning how to become an Air Traffic Controller but it would probably help in the phraseology department. Regardless, we have a bunch of members/staff that fly in ZOA/NCT, as well as a few real-world ZOA controllers if you have any specific questions.

Daniel Lausevic 824669
Posted
Posted

I flew today. My CFI had a wife with a broken arm and didn't call to cancel. ANother CFI went up with me. We did some basic pattern work around my home airport. First landing sucked. The following 5 were greasers. He feels next week lesson will mark my readiness for solo endorsement.

I'm so excited.

Anyway, my communication definitely needs to improve.

Can't wait to get my rig back up and running and running vatsim on xplane.

Daniel Gomes
Posted
Posted

Welcome back Daniel.

Please check your email....

Cheers

Daniel Gomes

Daniel Lausevic 824669
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the hookup. Got my old account back. Thanks to Daniel Gomes.

Daniel Lausevic 824669
Posted
Posted

It appears this forum replaced the old one back in 2004.