You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vPilot pauses FSX?

Martin Held 1392013

Martin Held 1392013
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Trying out vPilot, but it pauses my FSX, every time I bring up the vPilot?

Unchecked "pause on task switch", FSX & vPilot as admin (w10), FSX in windowed-mode.

Thank you!

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Are you sure it's pausing, or is it just muting the sound?

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Martin Held 1392013
Posted
Posted

You're right! Silly me didn't notice it. It's muting my sound.

Any solution for that?

Thank you!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Martin, I'm curious, how did you get around your full screen issue and be able to use vPilot?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Martin Held 1392013
Posted
Posted
Martin, I'm curious, how did you get around your full screen issue and be able to use vPilot?

Haven't got around it, just trying out vPilot in window-mode, as I'm out of options.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Any solution for that?

There's an inexpensive payware add-on called SoundStream. I have it; I found it easy to install & works as advertised. No free solution that I'm aware of.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Martin Held 1392013
Posted
Posted (edited)

Any solution for that?

There's an inexpensive payware add-on called SoundStream. I have it; I found it easy to install & works as advertised. No free solution that I'm aware of.

So everybody needs SoundStream to run vPilot? or just us with this problem?

Edited by Guest

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
So everybody needs SoundStream to run vPilot?

Not necessarily. Not everyone needs to have sound when the sim loses focus, and not everyone needs to click on the vPilot window after filing a flight plan.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

In case it's not clear, this is not an issue specific to vPilot. FSX mutes itself whenever you click on any window that's not part of FSX. For example, same thing happens with your web browser.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

FSX always mutes when switching windows -- not just to vPilot, but to anything else (ASN, Chrome, etcetera). It doesn't hurt anything. You can fly just fine with the sound muted, and when you switch back to FSX the sound comes back.

If that bothers you, get SoundStream. If not, don't worry about it.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Martin Held 1392013
Posted
Posted

Thank you all for the answers .

I did a flight today & even flew almost whole flight in full-screen mode after filling my FP.

Please see above. I was able to fly the whole flight in full-screen mode with vPilot GUI hidden.

So I couldn't see all the freq. etc, but it's good enough.

Thank you!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Note that there are options to have vPilot sent private messages and radio messages directed to your callsign to the FSX window. So that can be helpful when flying in full screen.

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

Important note: Soundstream (unless there's been an update recently) only works with the Boxed version of FSX. It does not work with FSX-SE!

Vice President, Pilot Training

Martin Held 1392013
Posted
Posted
Note that there are options to have vPilot sent private messages and radio messages directed to your callsign to the FSX window. So that can be helpful when flying in full screen.

Very interesting, that would be great! Can you point me to any info describing how to do that?

Thank you!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

It's in the settings, you'll find it.

• 2 weeks later...
Martin Held 1392013
Posted
Posted
It's in the settings, you'll find it.

So I did a flight today.

I couldn't get this to work, either I see all radio text messages or none. In settings>notifications all I can do is uncheck/check "Show incoming text messages in FSX" & there's no option to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign my callsign for messages? Also the "Flash taskbar" options doesen't do anything in full-screen.

Thank you!

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

1. FSX displays text messages all or none. There's no provision for only displaying messages [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated with your callsign.

2. vPilot was not written to be compatible with FSX full screen; it's written in a different language than FSX and therefore cannot be an FSX module that would be compatible with FSX full screen.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

This doesn't entirely answer your question, but -- why would you not want to see all messages on frequency? Listening to (or, in the case of text, reading) the frequency, even transmissions not directed specifically at you, is an absolutely essential part of maintaining situational awareness as a pilot and knowing what's going on around you.

"Flash taskbar" won't do anything in full screen because... well, you're in full screen. There is by definition no taskbar to flash.

Also not answering your question, but just as an aside for your own information: I don't know how long you've been simming (I can only see that you have a relatively recent VATSIM ID) but FSX is notoriously unstable in full-screen mode. Having previously been a full-screen devotee, for some years now I've use windowed mode; it is a lot less crash-prone that way (especially with other apps like vPilot, Activesky etc running) and with the Windows taskbar set to "auto-hide" and the FSX menu hidden there is very little loss of screen area. For me personally, having the title bar visible at the top of the screen was/is a small price to pay for a big reduction in CTDs

Vice President, Pilot Training

Martin Held 1392013
Posted
Posted
1. FSX displays text messages all or none. There's no provision for only displaying messages [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated with your callsign.

2. vPilot was not written to be compatible with FSX full screen; it's written in a different language than FSX and therefore cannot be an FSX module that would be compatible with FSX full screen.

Now I'm really confused? or perhaps you didn't you read the whole tread?

As the developer of vPilot wrote:

This doesn't entirely answer your question, but -- why would you not want to see all messages on frequency?

Because It's unrealistic to read all text-messages, while at the same time I have to listen to the radio-calls & fly my own airplane (w Fs2Crew) do checklists RL SOP & maintain SA in a busy airport. Plus the green text-bar in full-screen flashes like crazy

Thank you!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

It's been years since I wrote that feature ... I was mistaken, it sends all text radio messages, not just those directed to your callsign.

That is done for the reasons Simon brought up ... you need to hear other pilot comms in order to maintain situational awareness. The fact that some of those comms are seen rather than heard doesn't change anything.

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted
Because It's unrealistic to read all text-messages

Just as unrealistic as it is to hear...in real life...every radio call on the frequency you are tuned in to...

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

• 4 months later...
wil de boer
Posted
Posted

I nearly try`d everything I think . But Vpilot voice go`s on pause during flights online . It doesn't matter depart , in flight or arrival.

A lot on online or a few.

I re install , with or without remote pc , with or without virus prog or firewall.

changing ports .

Nothing matters .

Its very annoying for the controllers the try to call and i don`t hear them , as soon i hit the send button vpilot is back.

Its only the voice because the txt messages remain visible .

On this point I think i cannot be vpilot but it begin after a update. Because in the beginning vpilot works fine .

Is there some one knowing this behavior with vpilot and a solution.

in advance

regards

wil

DVAG.jpg

statusbar.jpg

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted
I nearly try`d everything I think .

wil

Did you search UDP Timeout?

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

wil de boer
Posted
Posted

no idid not and ihave no idee what it mens and no idee how to change that.

is that a value???? should that be greater or less?????

regards

wil

DVAG.jpg

statusbar.jpg

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Then please do so.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg