You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Cannot communicate with ATC correctly

Don Smith

Don Smith
Posted
Posted

Well, I still have my problems! I did download and install a fresh copy of Flight Sim Commander v9.7 yesterday and found that I cannot use vPilot to communicate with ATC and text to my friends while using FSC. So, I configure the flight plan and set-up my FSC as though I would 'connect to FS', but I do not and only use it to see others on VATSIM and note my FP on the map.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what changed with the way I flew four months ago and now with my problems?

Thank you for your time!

Don Smith

"Tower - ASO455 - Reporting a flock of birds on short final!"

Morten Jelle
Posted
Posted

I don't think you can connect to VATSIM through FSC. (I don't own that addon)

But what problems did you have with vPilot to be exact? vPilot should be pretty easy to configure, so I hardly doubt it will not work for you. Even the smallest tickbox could destroy things - we have all tried that.

Morten Jelle

VATSIM Network Supervisor, Team Lead - Supervisor Team 1

spacer.png

Don Smith
Posted
Posted

Morten

I am sorry I did not mean to indicate that I connected my FS through vPilot. Thank you for your input, Sir!

Here is what happened:

In VATSIM, 10/10/17

From other Forums, I have adhered to the Mouse Drift Problem directions with the following actions:

START -> Control Panel - > Mouse Properties -> Pointer Options - > Hide pointer while typing (Unchecked)

This has cured my Mouse Drift Problem, but I have another more important problem at hand.

SYSTEM: Running 3 monitors, Intel i7 CPU, 930 @ 2.80 GHz, RAM 12.0 GB, 64-bit OS, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, Windows 7 Pro

FLT SIMS: P3Dv4 & FSX SE

My flight sim program demands that the mouse come back to the flight at hand even after I try to access another program on another monitor.

This limits me from texting and/or speaking with VATSIM ATC. I can only quickly type three characters at a time of my text for position reports or speaking quickly while live with the area ATC. Speaking to ATC and Checking-In – I barely get three seconds to report after pressing firmly pressing my designated key for the correct communications channel when the P3Dv4 and/or FSX SE are in use. I must come across ‘broken’ to ATC but really the flight sim program draws me back into the flight in progress and out of the comms.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your time!

11/10/17

Don, stupid question but have you got "Pause on task switch" unchecked in the Options/settings/general menu?

11/10/17

Hey Roger

I remember a Professor some years back saying, no 'stupid question(s)', I agree.

'Pause on Task Switch' was not checked.

Thanks for the reminder!

Don

11/10/17

What is the priority in task manager? If it is the top level then it may be forcing you back into the program.

Cheers,

12/10/17

Hey Andrew

I am ignorant about ..."the priority in task manager?".

How does one go about setting the priority for the Task Manager?

Thank you for your response, Sir!

Don

13/10/17

Just to throw more gas on the fire. Consider opening vPilot as an Administrator.

19/10/17

I still have a major problem with coherent communications with VATSIM ATC and I really need help trying to solve my dilemma.

After talking with some of the guys that I fly with often, they also have come up blank as to the resolution(s) of my problem. They have in their wisdom suggested that the Flight Sim (FSX SE and P3D4.1) program that I am flying at the time demands that the cursor be present and active all of the time in that program.

I have implemented all of the previous suggestions and recommendations offered but I still have this problem(s). I sincerely welcome any of your thoughts and hints.

27/10/17

Do FSX SE and/or P3Dv4.1 have (a) keystroke(s) that demand the cursor at all times while flying? I guess I will continue to avoid any ATC that come alive in my area so that I can continue to fly on VATSIM.

Thanks for any help!

Don

27/10/17

No, neither program requires the cursor be active on that program. Your best bet is to ensure:

1. Pause on task switch is NOT selected

2. Run your simulator as an administrator

3. Run your client as an administrator

28/10/17Thank You, Don

"1. Pause on task switch is NOT selected

2. Run your simulator as an administrator

3. Run your client as an administrator"

1. Check

2. Check

3. Investigating

I will update after learning more about running client as an administrator (Unknown).

I was wondering if my keyboard was inadvertently hit with a combination of unintentional keystrokes that would cause my problem(s). Additionally, I was wondering if I reduced the monitors from three to two monitors thereby eliminating components one-by-one until it is hopefully back to normal. I can then talk with any VATSIM ATC without continual interruptions.

Thanks for the help!

Don

28/10/17

Hi Don,

If you have Windows User Access Control enabled, you can right click the program icon and Run As Administrator.

I doubt your monitors would have anything to do with it.

1/23/18

Well, I still have my problems! I did download and install a fresh copy of Flight Sim Commander v9.7 yesterday and found that I cannot use vPilot to communicate with ATC and text to my friends while using FSC. So, I configure the flight plan and set-up my FSC as though I would 'connect to FS', but I do not and only use it to see others on VATSIM and note my FP on the map.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what changed with the way I flew four months ago with no problems and now with my current problems?

Thank you for your time!

Don Smith

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I don't use FSC so cannot comment on how that might or might not be interacting, but this still sounds like the cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ic "you aren't running vPilot as an administrator" problem.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Don Smith
Posted
Posted

Don

Thank you for your input, Sir. I run all of my programs "As Admin".

A truck driving preacher from Alabama has just now, hopefully solved my more than 5 months problem. It was as simple as "ticking/unticking" a box the Flight Sim Commander. He told me to go to upper left corner Menu: MAP - Aircraft on Map and make sure that the box was unticked. I will test further while flying in an ATC controlled area and report back. I am very happy with this prospect.

Thank You

Don Smith

Roger Hanson
Posted
Posted
... It was as simple as "ticking/unticking" a box the Flight Sim Commander. He told me to go to upper left corner Menu: MAP - Aircraft on Map and make sure that the box was unticked...

I don't think this is the problem, I always have this box ticked and have never had a problem with communication with vPilot.

What version of FSC have you got?

Regards, Rog Hanson

Don Smith
Posted
Posted

Roger

Flight Sim Commander v9.7

w/AIRAC 1801 rev 1

Windows 7

A friend in Memphis that I fly with most mornings told me the same thing, that he had that box ticked in FSC and it did not bother him.

This afternoon, I tested talking (Transmitting and Receiving) with ATC - Bradley Approach while on the ground and I did not have my old problem. So, my next test will come tomorrow when I talk with ATC in a controlled area.

Wish me luck.

I hit a keystroke and/or combination of keystrokes to cause this problem in FSC because it was not an issue 5 months ago!

Thanks Again!

Don

ASO455

Roger Hanson
Posted
Posted

Just sent you a PM Don

Regards, Rog Hanson

Don Smith
Posted
Posted

Thank you, Roger!

Don Smith
Posted
Posted

"So, my next test will come tomorrow when I talk with ATC in a controlled area."

Well, my TEST came today with Ft Worth Center @ 1653 Texas Time.

NO PROBLEM!!

• 1 year later...
Don Smith
Posted
Posted

I still have problems with the VATSIM Text line.

If I use the Text line my Flight Sim Commander, the curser is taken away to the Flight Sim (FSX Steam or P3D4).

I do not understand why!

Thanks for any help!

Don Smith