You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Default install to /appdata/?

Silvia Brown

Silvia Brown
Posted
Posted

Just curious why the default install path is in /appdata/. Programs should never be installed to /appdata/.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Why do you say that? It's fairly common for programs that are for the current user only, and so that admin privs are not required. Google Chrome is an example.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Silvia Brown
Posted
Posted

Okay, I can kinda see it for programs intended to only be used by a single user on a multi-user computer. Kinda. It still strikes me as a sub-optimal solution, but since I rarely use multi-user computers and almost never run into an "I only want one specific user to have access to this program" situation, no others come to mind quickly. To me, /appdata/ is for storing users' personal settings, not the program itself.

For permissions, if a program needs permissions it won't have in /Program Files/, just make the default install location somewhere else (e.g., C:\vERAM\).

And, for reference, my Chrome defaulted to installing in /Program Files (x86)/.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
For permissions, if a program needs permissions it won't have in /Program Files/, just make the default install location somewhere else (e.g., C:\vERAM\).

That's one way to do it, and I see lots of other software do exactly that, but I personally hate cluttering up the root of the system drive.

Really this is all just a side effect of Windows not providing a proper place for user-specific apps to be installed, where you're guaranteed not to have permissions issues.

And, for reference, my Chrome defaulted to installing in /Program Files (x86)/.

Yes, that's where it goes if you have permission to write there, and you don't tell it to install for your user only. Else, it goes to appdata.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC