You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

connecting to ATC

James Jacklin

James Jacklin
Posted
Posted

hi guys im battling at trying to contact ATC IN FSX.ive set my push to talk in vatsim and my frequencies in the aircraft are correct.Would anyone know how I could talk to atc

many thanks

Roger Hanson
Posted
Posted

What Vatsim client are you using?

Regards, Rog Hanson

James Jacklin
Posted
Posted

UK 1

James Jacklin
Posted
Posted

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY CLIENT.its not letting me talk to

atc

James Jacklin
Posted
Posted

Hi I have installed v pilot and read all those sources but it doesn’t help to fix my problem.ive set my push to talk, Volume ,everything that I can but ATC for some odd reason cannot hear me talking

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

1) You have read through the entire pilot resource centre?

2) Are you connected to VATSIM?

3) Are you within range of an online controller?

4) Have you tuned to their frequency?

5) Do you hear them?

6) Have they explicitly told you that they don't hear you?

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Josh,

I can understand your frustration. In this age everything seems to be geared toward "load and go" with little required of the user to access something. On VATSIM it is quite different. There are things to read, things to listen to, things to practice.

Key to all this is knowing how the forums are set up. There is a forum section for discussing problems with vPilot, yet you continue to post all your vPilot problems in General Discussion. That means you haven't done a key task in joining any new organization. Browse the forums and set how it is set up and where specific topics for specific items are located.

I don't use vPilot (I have once and it worked flawlessly...because I read the installation guide line by line as I was installing it.

What you describe...hearing ATC and not being able to transmit...Is discussed here...

viewtopic.php?f=132&t=64672

Did you even look at that section of the forums, specifically...

Q: I can't select a PTT on my keyboard. What's up with that?

A: If you use UAC and use a keyboard PTT, DO NOT install vPilot as an administrator, but once installed, if you run FSX/P3D as an administrator, run vPilot as an administrator. Joystick PTT works fine with or without running as an administrator.

Q: I can hear others and my mic has no problem, but whenever I try to transmit with my PTT, I need to switch to the vPilot window in order to transmit successfully. If I try to attempt to transmit inside the simulator without switching to vPilot, the TX in the top right corner of vPilot window is not highlighted and I cannot transmit.

A: That's the number 1 symptom that indicates that you are not running vPilot as an administrator. If you run FSX/P3D as an administrator, you must run vPilot as an administrator.

I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ure you, vPilot is very stable...based upon my one use...and very dependable, if you install it correctly. I seriously doubt you used the install instructions or used the vPilot Thread to find answers. Load and Go does not work here...Read and Learn does.

To test my theory, answer me this, if you have read all the docomeentation, what does "PRC" stand for? it's kind of a "gimme" question considering all the tips and suggestions you have been given, but...

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

You know what, James.

After posting the above I got to thinking. You have never stated, that I can see, that you can hear ATC? Can you.

Maybe the reason ATC can't hear you is because you are starting in an area that does not have online ATC at that moment.

Surely you are not trying to talk to default ATC through your microphone. Forgive me for even asking that, but one never knows.

I have looked at your statistics and you have 3 hours + online, but not once have you filed a flight plan, so I don't know where you have been starting your flights and ending them. I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume somewhere in the UK based on your real location.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

James Jacklin
Posted
Posted

hi yes i can hear them and i make sure that there is an atc available at the airport

James Jacklin
Posted
Posted

Hi I’ve just tried contacting * ATC at gatwick Airport but they say they I’m unreadable how do I make myself readable

Morten Jelle
Posted
Posted

Check your microphone settings. And aldo calibrate it through vPilot. We don’t know what microphone you have.

James, it is not because we don’t want to help you. But a lot of your questions really is answered in the manual and you can find a lot by searching. I will really encourage you to try find these answers yourself.

Morten Jelle

VATSIM Network Supervisor, Team Lead - Supervisor Team 1

spacer.png

James Jacklin
Posted
Posted

I’ve tried,Do you recommend switching the audios as mine are both on direct sound

Morten Jelle
Posted
Posted

You can try it out, but I can’t say for sure it will work. It works sometimes.

Morten Jelle

VATSIM Network Supervisor, Team Lead - Supervisor Team 1

spacer.png

James Jacklin
Posted
Posted

Ok thanks I’ve trued everything it’s still not working,read through so many forums but I can’t understand why

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

James,

I could answer your posts with

"this isn't twitter" and hope you get my meaning, or...

I could answer with

"James, this isn't twitter. You are not limited to the number of characters you can type. Short little one sentence answers do not help us help you. Please try to be more specific than ' I tried '. What happened when you 'tried'? and then you would understand exactly my point.

VATSIM has existed for years and performed flawlessly.

Thousands of pilots have connected to VATSIM with vPilot and gotten excellent comms both out to ATC and in from ATC.

I used vPilot once and it performed flawlessly first try. The only reason I have stuck with FSInn all these years is because it, too, (for me) performs flawlessly.

Therefore, it has to be something you are doing wrong or a piece of equipment you are using is blocking outbound comms.

You have to give us something to work with, more than "I tried".

What Operating system are you using, Win7, Win10, Win8, what? I've gone back through your posts and I don't see where you have ever said. It makes a difference,

When you installed vPilot, did you install it as administrator, because you are not supposed to?

I know from one of your other posts that you use FSX. Is FSX installed to "run as administrator". It makes a difference.

Are you connecting to the internet directly through a modem or through a router connected to the modem? It can make a difference.

Hard wire connection or WiFi? It can make a difference.

From home or from somewhere else, like a dorm room or...work ? It can make a difference.

There are so many different variables involved that the more information you give us the far easier it will be to get you connected and talking. I don't know about vPilot, but with FSInn when someone else keys their PTT (like ATC or another pilot) I see that by colored dots on the control panel. This dots are still colored when I transmit, but a different color than receive. Does vPilot have those "dots" and if so, what do you see on the vPilot control panel when you transmit...i.e., try to talk to ATC?

There is just an awful lot of information you could be giving us that you aren't with your one sentence answers.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

James Jacklin
Posted
Posted

The microphone I’m using is turtle beech recon50p

James Jacklin
Posted
Posted

No I did not install it as administrator,I’m using windows 7

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

Windows recording settings

Vice President, Pilot Training

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Me too

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

James Jacklin
Posted
Posted

Hi guys I’ve eventually got hold of ATC.At times times they can hear me 100% loud and hear but then next minute they tell me on text that they cannot hear me at all just a loud static noise.Anyone know how to resolve this issue

James Jacklin
Posted
Posted

Hi guys I’ve eventually got hold of ATC.At times times they can hear me 100% loud and hear but then next minute they tell me on text that they cannot hear me at all just a loud static noise.Anyone know how to resolve this issue

James Jacklin
Posted
Posted

Sorry it posted twice

James Jacklin
Posted
Posted

Ok so no I haven’t been running fsx as administrator,I’m using a modem (WIFI)

James Jacklin
Posted
Posted

When I press the push to talk button in pilot to contact ATC it light up blue and when I finish transmitting the blue light goes away