You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Voice only?

Tom Stian Bjerk 853618

Tom Stian Bjerk 853618
Posted
Posted

Good evening all..

Im on my way to EHAM for the event this evening.

Looking at the ATIS for EHAM it says "voice only".

What does that mean ? that text pilots (like me) won't get any service ?

Does VATSIM have a rule that says that text pilots won't get any service in some events ?

Q9RytnT.png

Johnny Coughlan
Posted
Posted

...time to make some popcorn

Tom Stian Bjerk 853618
Posted
Posted

Hehe.. I will report back what happend when I get there

Tom Stian Bjerk 853618
Posted
Posted

I can report back that all went very well.. smooth as butter..

Ciaran Breen
Posted
Posted

It wasn't that they were voice only, they had extra information added to the ATIS which could only be found by listening to the atis. It had what runway pilots can expect from certain directions etc.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

It was during our Friday Night Fly-in event. I was one of the persons that hosted the ATIS as well. As you can see, the text ATIS ends with 'extra'. During our inbound peak or outbound peak, we added a manually spoken soundtrack with more information.

Inbound peak: arrivals from RIVER and SUGOL expect runway 18R. Arrivals from ARTIP expect runway 18C. Departures from runway 24.

Outbound peak: runway 24 for SPY3K, VALKO1S, BERGI1S. Runway 18L for REN1E, LOP3E, KDD1E, ARN3E. Arrivals to runway 18R.

(Due to the amount of inbounds and outbounds, we used a 2+2 runway combination (two arrival runways, two departure runways) for a looong time)

This part is only on the audio version of the ATIS. You don't have to be a voice pilot to hear that, text pilots must be able to hear sounds anyway, so we're not limiting who can participate.

I can report back that all went very well.. smooth as butter..

Glad to hear your arrival went smooth. We try our best to have a safe and fast arrival with the least delay possible. However, there were some pilots that didn't listen to Approach which made stuff a bit chaotic and of course resulted in some delays.

spacer.png

ACCNL4 (Training Director) - Dutch VACC

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted

But why don't you just add it to the text? Is there not enough space?

KntU2Cw.jpg

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

I am not entirely sure why it is not done that way. Tower controllers rostered for that event got the extra audio files from our event coordinator and we just follow the instructions. I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume there is a reason for this, but I do not know this myself.

spacer.png

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted

My [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umption: If we would add these lines to the ATIS text, the text-to-voice translator would choke on it, as the necessary wav fragments are not there.

Martijn

Morten Jelle
Posted
Posted

That would only happen if the “TEST-URL” button in Euroscope was used and the URL grabs info where files would be missing. In this case, it should be possibly to insert text manually. At least if you use Euroscope. I don’t know if that was used for ATIS at EHAM.

Morten Jelle

VATSIM Network Supervisor, Team Lead - Supervisor Team 1

spacer.png

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

We use Euroscope for the controlling, but we have our own ATIS generator application which automatically processes the METAR, gets the real life active runways (which we can override) and the Transition Level. We only have to choose the ATIS identifier and possible extras.

I think Martijn might be right on this. (He's an APP controller at our division)

spacer.png