You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Vatsim Southern Africa Area Is Rebuilding!

Ilan Jonas 860311

Ilan Jonas 860311
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello Guys!

I am happy to announce the rebuilding of Vatsim in the southern Africa area - RSA, Lesotho, Zimbabwe, Swaziland, Namibia, Botswana...

We would like to hear your voice if you are interested in this project in any way - if you fly in this area or wish to fly there, if you are controlling this area or wish to supply atc services, if you feel you can help us in any way - drop a message here!

We would like to hear from qualified controllers who used to supply ATC services in this area before - we need you most!

Please show support for the project here or contact me in person by mail (use the mail icon in my profile).

Cheers and happy new year everyone!

Ilan Jonas

Edited by Guest

Ilan Jonas

Senior Instructor-I3

Former Vatsim Africa/Middle East Region Director(2004-2012)

http://www.vatame.net

Kobi David 817197
Posted
Posted

There is nothing with the icon LOL

Ilan's mail: [email protected]

Good Luck!

Kobi David

VATIL1

157.png

Ian Duke 814240
Posted
Posted

I'd be willing to guest control...have wanted to try Africa for a while!

Good for anything up to Approach, pending Center certification at my home FIR (eventually)

Cheers,

Ian

Michael Sciascia 913061
Posted
Posted

I'd love to fly in that area!

I live in Italy now but i was born in Zambia

Ian Duke 814240
Posted
Posted

Apologies Ilan - only just got your email now and the flyin group is only 15 minutes out!

Cheers,

Ian

Zak Economides 904479
Posted
Posted

Hey there Ilan!

This sounds great! I'd like to contribute in any way I can.

Rgds

Zak

• 2 weeks later...
Nico van Jaarsveld 811422
Posted
Posted

Hi Ilan

I like to give ATC in South Africa again. Please I need help with the new ATC software (ASRC)

A few minutes training online will help.

Nico van Jaarsveld

Ex VATRSA Director

• 2 weeks later...
Mark Smith 890668
Posted
Posted

We are Caledonian VA.

We have been operating for nearly 2 years now and have recently opened an extensive flying programme using Dubai, Tanzania and Cameroon.

The uptake from our crews has to be fair, been slow. Our feedback is that there is little ATC in the region so our crews tend to fly in Europe or within our Carribbean operation.

THIS IS A GODSEND - IF YOU CAN GET THE GUYS IN THE TOWER, WE'LL GET THE AIRCRAFT IN THE AIR.

I am hoping to enhance the 2 way communications which we will require to make this a success for our VA and also provide support to you guys in getting the Region back to where it belongs - on-line!

We need to get some dialogue going, my email is - [email protected]

Thanks and Good Luck

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Similarly Knight Air has been the same. Personally I love the addon scenery from Fly Tampa for Dubai so tend to find myself there quite often! Now to have ATC too

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Ilan Jonas 860311
Posted
Posted

Thank you both, Mark and Norman - stay tuned, I believe we can help activity in the area grow and be of interest to anyone. There are some project and ideas in proccess, I will publish news over here, hopefully in the near future.

Ilan

Ilan Jonas

Senior Instructor-I3

Former Vatsim Africa/Middle East Region Director(2004-2012)

http://www.vatame.net

• 2 months later...
Todd Damrel 848233
Posted
Posted

This summer I am going to sit down and figure atc out, and then take the exam. I have just started flying online, and joined a virtual airline based in South Africa. Anyway, once I learn enough about atc to start workin' the scopes, I would LOVE to control in the region of southern Africa. If there's anything I can do before then, let me know!

51.png

• 2 months later...
Mike Goggin 810339
Posted
Posted

I've been doing some work on sector files (using the new navaids) with the idea of offering a limited service in S.A. airspace, particularly Johannesburg. Happy to help if required.

Most of my ATC hours have been in UK airspace, but I've done a fair bit in Southern Africa. Also my office is about 500 metres from Johannesburg International & I'm listening to them right now on my scanner!

Best to all.

• 4 months later...
andrew sattler 825849
Posted
Posted

G'day guys

I was wondering if anyone could help me locate SIDS/STARS/AERODROME Charts for FAJS.I went to the South African CAA web-site,but i couldn't locate any section that had a link to charts!!!

I would dearly love to fly in South Africa,but without charts,that aint gonna happen.

Thanks Andrew.

825849.png

Fred Mac Donald 824943
Posted
Posted
G'day guys

I was wondering if anyone could help me locate SIDS/STARS/AERODROME Charts for FAJS.I went to the South African CAA web-site,but i couldn't locate any section that had a link to charts!!!

I would dearly love to fly in South Africa,but without charts,that aint gonna happen.

Thanks Andrew.

Watch this space... South Africa is making a comeback...

VA Website Hosting

Don't be part of the problem. Be part of the solution.

Andre De Waal 883848
Posted
Posted
G'day guys

Thanks Andrew.

HELLO ANDREW

WE ARE WORKING NOW ON A WEBSITE FOR SOUTH AFRICA, HOPE GET IT OFF ASAP, PLS BE PATIENT, WE WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH ANY INFORMATION AVAILEBLE, FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME AT [email protected]

André de Waal

Director

VATSAF South Africa

VATSIM DCRM-Staff South Africa & Central Africa

6775.png

5967.png

andrew sattler 825849
Posted
Posted

Gentlemen,thank you very much for your promt replies.Much appreciated on the heads-up.

Great news on the new web site creation.

I can be patient (for a lttle while )

Andrew.

825849.png

Wayne Higgins 838379
Posted
Posted

Hello Gentlemen,

I trust you are well.

I am thrilled to report that I have been appointed as the Division Director of VATSIM South Africa or VATZA with immediate effect.

My vision is to create an environment where anyone who seriously considers a virtual career in aviation (whether Pilot or ATC) can:

1. Improve their Knowledge of aviation

2. Learn the CORRECT procedures

3. Enhance and/or supplement their current RW flying skills

4. Make new friends all over the world

5. Maintain the highest level of professional conduct.

I have appointed a few staff members to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist me in getting the division up and running, but we need you to join our airspace as a pilot or ATC and of course apply for a staff position if you wish.

From an ATC point of view, I require only the highest standard of controlling and if you are up to it, I encourage you to start your career by doing training. Our division will be placing a huge emphasis on training. In fact I am setting up an ATC Training School which will equip you with all the necessary skills (taken from the Real World ATC Course conducted at the ATNS ATC College in Johannesburg) to supply the most awesome and realistic level of ATC available.

Having said that, pilots should have no problem flying in South African airspace as the ATC's should be competent enough to guide you on your chosen FPL very accurately. Charts are being drawn up (unfortunately our CAA will NOT release the charts to us without m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive amounts of red tape and meetings, so until we can show them that we have their best interests at heart, we will do our best to do the charts ourselves.

If you are interested in become staff, please forward your CV to [email protected] for review.

If you have dreamed of visiting South Africa, or wish to get closer to its stunning beauty, I invite you to join us online where you can find some of the most accurate scenery of our country (FS2002/2004 compatible) and spend your time flying over our country, until you can one day visit it in person. Your support in any way at all, is hugely appreciated.

See you online.

Kind Regards

Wayne Higgins

Director

VATSIM South Africa (VATZA)

Kind regards

Wayne Higgins

VATSAF Founder

VATSIM-South Africa (http://www.vatsaf.net.za)

Daniel Roesen
Posted
Posted

Hi,

some suggestions:

take part in a booking system like EuroBook (http://www.euro-book.net) so pilots can see when ATC will be available and where.

announce until how long you plan to control in your ATIS (see also http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?t=5677)

publish a "How to fly in ZA" web page (link to it in your controller's ATIS) with all information for pilots who want to fly their first time(s) into ZA. Regional ATC and procedure specialities, recommended sceneries, links to Charts etc.

Best regards,

Daniel (looking forward to fly in ZA)

Wayne Higgins 838379
Posted
Posted

Hi Daniel.

Thank you for these wonderful ideas.

Im going to set my team to work on it right away..

Hope to see you online too.

Kind regards

Wayne Higgins

VATSAF Founder

VATSIM-South Africa (http://www.vatsaf.net.za)

Andre De Waal 883848
Posted
Posted
Gentlemen,thank you very much for your promt replies.Much appreciated on the heads-up.

Great news on the new web site creation.

I can be patient (for a lttle while )

Andrew.

Hi Andrew, visit our new website http://www.sajoblink.co.uk/vatza/ charts are availeble for South Africa major airports.

I hope not that u wait tooooo long

Regards

André de Waal

Vatza

South Africa

André de Waal

Director

VATSAF South Africa

6775.png

5967.png

andrew sattler 825849
Posted
Posted

G'day, Andre.That's great,you blokes sure work fast

A nice piece of work in progress,i'll follow it closely.

Thank you for putting in the time and effort to make this hobby more realistic and enjoyable.

Andrew Sattler.

825849.png

Oren Geva 825051
Posted
Posted

Hi Wayne,

It's great to see new virtual ATC life in South Africe.

As soon as I have time for a long flight I am visiting Johannesburg from Tel Aviv, and I'll be bringing some friends with me so be prepared for some heavy iron hogs.

I will email you when we're ready to come.

Cheers!

142.png

andrew sattler 825849
Posted
Posted

G'day Andre.Mate the site is coming along nicely.The interim charts is a good idea.

Regards Andrew.

825849.png

Andre De Waal 883848
Posted
Posted
G'day Andre.Mate the site is coming along nicely.The interim charts is a good idea.

Regards Andrew.

Hi Andrew

Hang in there, we try to keep up, still a lot of work to do, thanks for keep a eye on us, enjoy our charts, it is up to date

Cheers

André

André de Waal

Director

VATSAF South Africa

6775.png

5967.png