You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

[Feature Request] Comm Tag

Camden Bruno

Camden Bruno
Posted
Posted

Real-World ERAM has the capability to "tag" when someone is on frequency or not using "//[CID]", which then places what looks like a WiFi symbol next to their callsign. Would love to see that implemented. Alternatively, would be great to have "//[CID]" toggle the DWELL Lock on an aircrafts tag.

Cam B.
VATSIM Supervisor

Brandon Rodgers 1077574
Posted
Posted

Why not just beat the FAA to the punch? Just have the icon turn on automatically when the aircraft switches to the frequency? That's the plan for the wi-fi icon any ways when data comm comes online in a year or so. This way we know a pilot is tuned to the frequency and can be reach via text if he isn't listening.

Ryan Geckler
Posted
Posted
Why not just beat the FAA to the punch? Just have the icon turn on automatically when the aircraft switches to the frequency? That's the plan for the wi-fi icon any ways when data comm comes online in a year or so. This way we know a pilot is tuned to the frequency and can be reach via text if he isn't listening.

I'm a fan of this.

Ryan Geckler - GK | Former VATUSA3 - Division Training Manager

VATSIM Minneapolis ARTCC | FAA Miami ARTCC 

Camden Bruno
Posted
Posted

Brandon,

Love that idea! If that's implemented I would still like to be able to manually override that, though. It'd be nice for VATSIMisms like if a pilot requests to step away and you want to indicate that he's not on frequency (even though he's technically on the voice channel).

Cam B.
VATSIM Supervisor

Brandon Rodgers 1077574
Posted
Posted

If a pilot wants to step away, you can either put 'AFK' in the fourth line or you could just dwell lock the aircraft to make a mental/visual note that he's not there.

I do this often at work when I need to descend an aircraft and it has multiple point outs that need to be done. I put in the lower altitude and highlight "dwell" the aircraft. I then throw the PVD's on everyone that I need and wait for them to approve my automated point out. Once it is done, I descend the aircraft to the lower altitude.

Brandon,

Love that idea! If that's implemented I would still like to be able to manually override that, though. It'd be nice for VATSIMisms like if a pilot requests to step away and you want to indicate that he's not on frequency (even though he's technically on the voice channel).