You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VOR/DME RNAV Instruments

Markus Schober 1328585

Markus Schober 1328585
Posted
Posted

After spending some time searching for a VOR/DME based RNAV computer from the time before GPS became a thing (a.k.a. Rho-Theta RNAV - where you virtually moved a VOR station to the desired waypoint) for flight simulator use without much success, I decided to take things into my own hands, did some research and, eventually, replicated the Bendix/King KNS 80 as a gauge for FSX. What started as a small project matured quickly and became a solution that works impressively well. Actually so well that I asked myself if I should make it available to the public.

The system consists of two gauges:

• the actual KNS 80 RNAV computer, programmed according to the manufacturer's "Pilot's Guide KNS 80" and
  • a Garmin 102A CDI instrument, specially made for compatibility with the RNAV computer, for displaying the course deviation

The gauges contain carefully edited and thoroughly animated artwork and enact the original system's functionality to the extent permitted by the flight simulator, and just like the real computer, the gauge does all the maths with the information from the tuned VOR/DME station - there is no cheating or tampering with GPS variables.

Features include:

• VOR mode: CDI acts like a standard course deviation indicator, the needle shows deviation in degrees, 2 degrees per dot, 5 dots from center to each side
  • VOR/PAR ("parallel") mode: CDI shows course deviation in nautical miles, 1 NM per dot
  • RNAV/ENR ("enroute") mode: CDI shows course deviation to the selected course to/from the active waypoint (virtually moved VOR), 1 NM per dot
  • RNAV/APR ("approach") mode: same as above, but 1/4 NM per dot
  • 4 waypoints (defined by VOR frequency, waypoint radial and distance) can be edited and activated using the RNAV computer's rotary knob and buttons
  • RNAV computer display shows distance, ground speed and time to station/waypoint

While the source code is authored by me, I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume that I need agreements from the copyright holders of the source images, as well as the owners of the trademarks and possibly even design patents used in the work before publishing it, even though I intend to make the gauges available for free.

So before getting headaches from that legal stuff, I would like to know first:

Is there anyone at all out there who would be interested to use these gauges?

If yes, drop me a PM.

Markus

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

I'm flat out impressed, I've never even heard of anything KNS80-like used or even working in FS. I'd love to geek out with this system should you make it available. Great job!

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Can we get some screenshots? Sounds awesome!

Markus Schober 1328585
Posted
Posted

img21rr2e.jpg

RNAV computer mounted in a virtual cockpit

img1bppzg.jpg

RNAV Computer as windowed gauge, CDI in virtual cockpit (highlighted), GPS as proof-of-concept reference

Programmed waypoint: OKIBA, which is shown on the charts located at 109.2 LBU VOR, Radial 355, 18.1 nm (programmed radial and distance cannot be seen in the screenshot, they share the display with the frequency and are shown when pressing the DATA button)

Deviations match (GPS in TERM mode: 1 line = 0.5 nm, RNAV in APR mode: 2 dots = 0.5 nm). Distances and ground speeds match.

(You will notice that the OBS knob of the CDI, while still being perfectly operational, does not really fit into the 3D knob of the default C172's virtual cockpit. Making it fit should not be a big deal, but only if requested because I'm not going to use the system on that plane)

Markus

• 2 weeks later...
Markus Schober 1328585
Posted
Posted (edited)

To everybody who wants to try the panels - the package (freeware) can be downloaded now from

https://www.flightsim.com

or

https://www.avsim.com

Search for the file

rnavvordmefs9fsxv161.zip

(And yes, the OBS knob now fits into the default C172 3D panel)

[EDIT 2018-11-10: file name updated]

Edited by Guest

Markus

Christoph Reule 1379750
Posted
Posted

Hi Markus,

thanks for this package. Just installed in the C172... will have a try soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Markus Schober 1328585
Posted
Posted

There is an update available for download from

Search for the file

rnavvordmefsxv15.zip

New in this version:

• ILS mode
  • DME HOLD
  • additional CDI with glide slope indicator
  • waypoint calculator (LibreOffice Calc Docomeent) for determining radial and distance from VOR/DME stations of waypoints whose coordinates (latitude and longitude) are known

Markus

• 6 months later...
Markus Schober 1328585
Posted
Posted

As requested, there is now a new version available which is compatible with FS2004 and FSX.

The update can be downloaded from

https://library.avsim.net

Search for the file

rnavvordmefs9fsxv161.zip

Changelog since version 1.5:

1.6.1   hotfix release

Fixes
       * occasionally unsteady readings of Ground Speed and Time-to-Station in
         RNAV mode

1.6     compatibility release

New Features