You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.
IMPORTANT: We will no longer promote events by VATSIM Divisions or vACC's posted in this forum. This section will transition to allow for publishing of unofficial events and groupflights. Contact your vACC director for event publishing access to myVATSIM. ×

[4 MAY 15:00Z - 13 MAY 20:00Z] VATSIM AIR RALLY: UK

Alexander Vasiliev 1227370

Posted
Posted (edited)

2uoh1qt.jpg

Hello pilots!

Air Rally is a competition for general aviation where pilots get championship points for en-route time precision and soft landings. Time precision is not racing, not about to be faster; it is about how well you can follow your planned en-route time. Soft landing is about your vertical speed at touchdown.

Aircraft: GA only.

Rally legs:

EGKA → EGTR → EGBE → EGCW → EGCB → EGNL → EGNC → EGPG → EGPR → EGPO → EGPA

Flights:

You have 10 days, choose when its comfortable for you to fly. Late entry is approved.

Event starts: Friday 4 May 15:00Z

Event ends: Sunday 13 May 20:00Z

Video:

How to join?

Step 1. Register.

You can do so via the website or Discord server, at your own discretion.

Discord: https://discord.gg/ZDtGRvJ

Step 2. Air Rally Client.

Download it on our website and use it for your competition flights.

Good luck, have fun!

Edited by Guest

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Alexander,

This is very interesting and sounds much like the old SEA (Doesn't mean "Seattle) Challenge Rallies I used to take part in.

However, after watching the Competition Rules video you say, "To join the event please follow the links below this video". I went to both links and saw no where to "join", except the blank fields for declaring our planned enroute time and aircraft. Is that the "join" function you speak of?

Also, is "pre-flying" allowed to get a better feel for planning our times and testing various routes?

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Posted
Posted
Alexander,

This is very interesting and sounds much like the old SEA (Doesn't mean "Seattle) Challenge Rallies I used to take part in.

However, after watching the Competition Rules video you say, "To join the event please follow the links below this video". I went to both links and saw no where to "join", except the blank fields for declaring our planned enroute time and aircraft. Is that the "join" function you speak of?

Also, is "pre-flying" allowed to get a better feel for planning our times and testing various routes?

Randy

Randy, hello!

There is no "join" button. To join the event you just declare planned time then fly the leg, and since the leg is completed and the result is calculated (we do it manually so it`ll take some time) you`ll see yourself in standings.

You have two ways where to declare your planned time - via fill-form on the website or Discord channel. This is on your discretion.

You said you went to both links but I dont see any new person in our Discord. Any problems with Discord? Need help?

About training flights, the short answer - yes, trainings are allowed, but there is a moment that you need to understand. Let me clarify how we validate flights as "official".

Shortly, the flight next to your declaring will be count as "official".

When we receive your declaring we pay attention to time you send it (here I talk about time of declaring, not about planned en-route time). Then, when we go to validate flights we compare your declaring time and departure time. This way we determine, if you declared after departure (generally, after take-off) - that flight will not be count; if you declared before departure (following rules) we will validate the flight.

In other words, all departures that have been done before declaring - will not be count. And the first one after declaring - will be.

So if you want to make a "pre-flying" then just don`t declare planned en-route time for the leg. And when declaring you understand that the next leg flight will be your official try.

Is it clear enough? Any questions?

Alex.

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the reply Alexander.

I didn't go to the Discord link. When I said "both" links I meant the video link and the vatsimsports link.

Discord will be an issue, so if flying while connected to Discord is a requirement then I will not be able to participate. Short explanation, my grandson and I "share" Discord. He is not allowed to have an email ID yet so he shares mine and I have set up Discord for him to use with his gaming. When he is using it I cannot connect without "bumping" him off so I rarely use it.

This is gonna be fun I think. I haven't flown GA/VFR in the UK since my old VATSIM-UK P2 training days out of Liverpool and Cardiff. For that I used Plan-G for the Visual Reporting Points. Looked very much like the application you showed in the video.

Just to be clear, there does not have to be anyone controlling UK airspace to fly a "declared" route, correct?

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted

Given that there's no set times for anyone to fly this, I'd say it's unlikely you'll get any ATC in the UK for this as controllers won't know when to be on.

Additionally, it would be useful to contact us for permission to use our Logo BEFORE posting up advertising for it...

Trevor Hannant

Posted
Posted
Thanks for the reply Alexander.

I didn't go to the Discord link. When I said "both" links I meant the video link and the vatsimsports link.

Discord will be an issue, so if flying while connected to Discord is a requirement then I will not be able to participate. Short explanation, my grandson and I "share" Discord. He is not allowed to have an email ID yet so he shares mine and I have set up Discord for him to use with his gaming. When he is using it I cannot connect without "bumping" him off so I rarely use it.

This is gonna be fun I think. I haven't flown GA/VFR in the UK since my old VATSIM-UK P2 training days out of Liverpool and Cardiff. For that I used Plan-G for the Visual Reporting Points. Looked very much like the application you showed in the video.

Just to be clear, there does not have to be anyone controlling UK airspace to fly a "declared" route, correct?

Randy

Randy,

Discord is an option, its not that "you have to". I know there are pilots that don`t like or just cannot use Discord, so I don`t want to force anyone. Using website fill-form for declaring is enough.

We do not ask controllers, and basically we don`t need them in terms of competition. But there may be some ... ))) Looking forward too ))

Alex

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted

Added to the VATSIM events calendar https://www.vatsim.net/events/vatsim-air-rally-uk

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand

Posted
Posted

Hello.

Life is life. Unfortunately, real-world job takes me on a business trip starting on 9th April. Therefore, the event planned from 13th to 22nd April is canceled right now, and will be rescheduled.

As expected the trip will take a couple of weeks or so. When I come back I`ll be able to start the event.

I`m sorry that happened.

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted

Thank you, this has been removed from the calendar and social media

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
Posted

Hello all.

Im back and ready to start the event.

The first message has been updated. The event starts on 4 May 15:00Z

2uoh1qt.jpg

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

Posted to website.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

Posted
Posted
Posted to website.

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for posting.

Please, pay attention event starts 4 May and ends 13 May. On Events page I can see it incorrect.

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted
Posted to website.

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for posting.

Please, pay attention event starts 4 May and ends 13 May. On Events page I can see it incorrect.

Fixed it.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

Posted
Posted
Posted to website.

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for posting.

Fixed it.

Matthew,

May 4, Friday is start day of the event