You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Please excuse ZOB's dust!

Steven Perry

Steven Perry
Posted
Posted

Pilots:

In a few short hours, at 0901Z 08 June 2006, the Cleveland ARTCC (KZOB) will have 19 new or revised STARs or DPs at the Detroit and Cleveland terminal areas. We are all working hard to make sure we are ready for the change and provide the same consistent and professional service you are accustomed to in our ARTCC.

While we transition over to the new procedures, please keep in mind that we do not have access to the resources of the real guys, who have been planning on this change for years. We only got ahold of the publicly available charts a week ago and are now waiting on a FOIA request for updated airspace information to bring pilots the most realistic experience. Until we get the real docomeents this will be very much a learning process on the control side!

Also, we realize that not all pilots have the current charts, the current AIRACs, or any other number of items that might prevent one from flying the new STARs. We will continue to work with pilots who have outdated charts to either get them in/out on the old procedures or via alternate routes (radar vectors) while everyone gets used to the new procedures.

Although the change will not be seamless, we hope it will be painless.

Updated charts are currently available at http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp and will certainly be shortly available at sites like airnav.com and myairplane.com.

Everyone is welcome to try out the new arrivals and departures at Cleveland this Saturday 18Z-21Z during our Ice Cream Social event.

http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp

Any questions concerning these changes should be addressed to myself at atm at zobartcc.org

Steven Perry

VATSIM Supervisor

Jeff Turner
Posted
Posted

Great job Steven!

Jeff "JU" Turner

US Army Retired

http://www.skyblueradio.com

21.png

SBR_banner-468-x-60.jpg

Kevin Kan
Posted
Posted

Caught the end of an IFR clarance to an airport in ZOB today from CZYZ FIR. Both controller and Pilot never heard of the new STAR the pilot got [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned. I think that went on for 5 min or so.

Then a tractor came up on me so I wanted to call for taxi.

1723.png

atc2o.png

Like my GOAT? Too bad, it's mine.

My airline flying at the speed of normal

Timothy Boger 942264
Posted
Posted

Sounds good! I rarely fly into ZOB, but I'll make sure my flightplans are up to date!

MSP last October underwent new STARs/SIDs as well. What's confusing is that some of them are 1 number different. (ie RST2 instead of RST1, SKETR3 instead of SKETR2). The extremely slight differences make things slightly difficult.

Timothy Boger

ZMP ATM!

Steve Ogrodowski 876322
Posted
Posted

Most of ours have totally new fixes, which unfortunately puts us in a pickle. Present and past Flight Simulator versions don't have these new fixes in their navigation database. There's no guarantee that Flight Simulator X will have these new fixes (because of this timeframe, and the projected release of the new FS version), although we can pray they do.

Only pilots who utilize standalone navigation programs with navigation databases that update with the Airac will be able to navigate these procedures. I believe all of these reliable programs are payware, and so at least 50%, if not 75-95% of pilots who fly our airspace will not be able to navigate these new procedures.

I project that by December, those figures will remain the same. And if Flight Simulator X doesn't contain these fixes when it's released at the holiday time, it could be up to three more years before we could ever fully migrate from our old SIDs/STARs to the new ones as a standard.

If we are lucky enough that FSX will have these fixes, it might be about a year, maybe a year and a half before we fully integrate these new procedures, and stop using the old ones as a standard.

Unless someone can create us a good, United States-oriented, freeware FMS program.....

Steve Ogrodowski

Owen Catherwood 903683
Posted
Posted
Most of ours have totally new fixes, which unfortunately puts us in a pickle. Present and past Flight Simulator versions don't have these new fixes in their navigation database. There's no guarantee that Flight Simulator X will have these new fixes (because of this timeframe, and the projected release of the new FS version), although we can pray they do.

Only pilots who utilize standalone navigation programs with navigation databases that update with the Airac will be able to navigate these procedures. I believe all of these reliable programs are payware, and so at least 50%, if not 75-95% of pilots who fly our airspace will not be able to navigate these new procedures.

I project that by December, those figures will remain the same. And if Flight Simulator X doesn't contain these fixes when it's released at the holiday time, it could be up to three more years before we could ever fully migrate from our old SIDs/STARs to the new ones as a standard.

If we are lucky enough that FSX will have these fixes, it might be about a year, maybe a year and a half before we fully integrate these new procedures, and stop using the old ones as a standard.

Unless someone can create us a good, United States-oriented, freeware FMS program.....

There are two freeware FMCs which use AIRAC data; One is currently in beta testing, while the other is the vasFMC In addition, anyone with XML knowledge can create a BGL file which will have these fixes by either using the AIRAC data or grab the waypoints off of airnav.com.

KZSE C3/Facilities Administrator

1798.png