You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Help on IFR App to nearby fields on Class B Airports

Ignacio Capistran 1087072

Posted
Posted

Hi everyone I am having some trouble with this issue latley. I cant seem to find the correct way to app on IFR to adjacent airports who are very near or near Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B airports.

Example 1

I was coming from the west and made my descent to capture de ILS app to RWY 18 at KOLV when I found my self p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing in front of the departing runways and hearing from the KMEM TWR that wasn't a good idea (he was right). But I don't know how to the a proper procedure without a STAR on the arrival airport.

ec68d7808182373.jpg

Example 2

Coming from the south on the CRUXX6 STAR and transitioning to the RNAV RWY 21 approach at KTTF, I found myself 6 nm form KDTW.I was clearing the TMA but I still don't think I was doing the proper procedure.

16e501808182453.jpg

I really appriciate if someone can tell me how to do this approaches (especially the KOLV one). Obviously this is without ATC.

Thanks in advance

Ignacio

Nick Warren
Posted
Posted

I am not a Memphis or a Detroit guy, so hopefully one of them can chime in with some more local knowledge, but let's look at it.

Example 1.

This is kind of tricky as you can see it puts your precariously in the vicinity of KMEM. That said, if you look at the approach plate, you can basically go direct to the MEM VOR which is on the field and enter the teardrop to the east at the IAF (EFPUB). Yes it does put you on top of KMEM, but you will be at 2500ft or above right over the top of the field, which really is the safest place to be if you are transitioning because you are not in the way of arrivals or departures. Conversely, you can choose to navigate south of KMEM terminating at HLI and then navigate to the approach entry from there.

Example 2.

Also tricky. This may be a case where you don't necessarily need to file a STAR, rather just file a final waypoint somewhere in the vicinity where you can capture the approach better. Looking at the CRUXX STAR, it states that aircraft landing KTTF should fly a 025 hdg from CRUXX. The ideal setup going into runway 21 at KTTF would be to either clear you in a manner which you can effectively intercept the VOR 21 at VINCE or the RNAV at HELET or GLOZE. Both of these options are going to put you effectively in the departure stream of KDTW. On either of these the altitude is more of a factor because you are south of KDTW and in the climb path. So again, consider going a little further and a little higher south of KDTW utilizing MACCS, or consider coming in from the northwest and using overhead KDTW in your favor.

The important thing to know, is that these procedures are designed to work among each of the fields. While not as common on VATSIM, controllers should have a decent idea how to coordinate the flow to work you in or around the stream. With no ATC on, it's just simple monitoring for traffic, and even announcing that you are at 3000 5 miles south of the field eastbound, or overhead the field at 3000. Good questions here.

Posted
Posted

Thanks Nick! I am going to cros MEM at 10000 vertical to the VOR and then descend to KOLV to do either app on a tear drop pattern. Guess that will work. For the other approaches I wil announce all intentios within a 20nm radius from the Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B Airport.

Nick Warren
Posted
Posted
Thanks Nick! I am going to cros MEM at 10000 vertical to the VOR and then descend to KOLV to do either app on a tear drop pattern. Guess that will work. For the other approaches I wil announce all intentios within a 20nm radius from the Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B Airport.

That's quite the ear popping decent from 10,000 in a 10nm spread