You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Changing ARTCCs, and a few other questions

Ryan Donovan 935489

Ryan Donovan 935489
Posted
Posted

Hi i havent even taken the Student controller test , I have been a pilot for a while, and want to become a controller. First how do i change my home artcc from seattle to another one like ZLA or oakland . Also how can i start do i join or have to take a test first could someone help me out. And what to do next. Finally what software i need to get.

Thanks to who ever helps

Long live America West

Kevin Kan
Posted
Posted

I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume your still with Seattle ARTCC gathering from your post.

goto VATUSA.org website 3rd thing on the left click Transfer form and thats where you transfer.

BUT

Since you haven't taken the student controller test yet, you can do that in the training centre. FOr that click "controlling training" on the top, then click "online testing" be sure to read your stuff first from the "reference" page.

Now I checked the VATUSA seattle roster and your not on it, and since you haven't taken the test I think you'll be put into the VATUSA Academy after the test.

For the software you can use ASRC or VRC found at www.asrc.info or www.metacraft.com/vrc

1723.png

atc2o.png

Like my GOAT? Too bad, it's mine.

My airline flying at the speed of normal

Ryan Donovan 935489
Posted
Posted

Thanks for helping me out, but any way i will refraze my question. What are the first steps to become a controller. Also, I have read the evaluation letter about the different ARTCCs, so i have come up with a few, that i need to sift through so if you would help me pick one so here they are ZAB, SLC,SEA,ZOA and DEN. Oh and what is a voice andorsment, can i get it right after i become a student controller?

Thanks

Long live America West

Fred Clausen
Posted
Posted

I took the liberty of checking your ID. You will need to start on bullet #2 on this page http://vatusa.org/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=PN_Content&file=index&req=visit&artid=52

Asking for ARTCC recommendations is not really fair. I think if you've flown around enough you've got a feel for who and what those pages are and how they work.

Voice endorsements are basically not used anymore.

Fred Clausen, vZAB ATM

ZAB real life

Paul Heaney 879309
Posted
Posted

Fred is right, you should be looking at where YOU want to control, not where others want you to. You should be able to have a grasp of where you'd want to work.

Keep in mind that various ARTCCs do things differently, you'll find ones on the lighter side, and others are extreme, in how they run things. Best thing to do, is surf the ones you are interested in, and study their websites, so you know what to expect, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Ryan Donovan 935489
Posted
Posted

Thanks and fred i dont get what you mean iam a VATUSA member and how long does it take before i can control with voice?

Long live America West

Fred Clausen
Posted
Posted
Thanks and fred i dont get what you mean iam a VATUSA member and how long does it take before i can control with voice?

'fraid you aren't. I searched by your last name and your CID, and VATUSA does not show you in the database. Please start at bullet two.

Voice certification is given in the VATUSA academy, so the answer is "when you start."

Fred Clausen, vZAB ATM

ZAB real life

Kevin Kan
Posted
Posted

Goto the respective ARTCC and download their sector file(s). Checkout their site and forum and see if that's your feel.

Then log online to each of the ARTCC your interested and see what goes on, maybe talk to some controllers provided they aren't busy. Then hop on over to ZNY after your done the academy.

Last part of that is optional. Unless you want to come here.

1723.png

atc2o.png

Joshua Ridderhoff 873800
Posted
Posted
Asking for ARTCC recommendations is not really fair.

Then hop on over to ZNY after your done the academy.

*sigh* Well, of course, because ZNY is of course the only good ARTCC, right? C'mon... we're all proud of our ARTCC, but play nice. Let the poor guy make up his own mind.

/s/ Josh Ridderhoff

ZLC Senior Controller

Fly ZLC! | ZLC Pilot & Controller Forums

Edward McCoy 904185
Posted
Posted

Bad move Kevin, bad move.

Edward J. McCoy

Albuquerque ARTCC DATM

Francis Ko 963228
Posted
Posted

???

I dare say that these days you can't find good airfare.

The only reason to put me in despair.

Stephen Sculley-Beaman
Posted
Posted

I mean all ARTCC's have different things to offer. Depends on what you want, structure/training wise, whatever. You can't really say "what's the best artcc?" Now you could get a better answer if it was "what artcc has the most in depth and rigorous training" or "what artcc has the most traffic flow?" those you MIGHT get a straight answer on (neither of which i can answer!)

Francis Ko 963228
Posted
Posted

Actually I was asking about Edward's post. And here's a tip for the flamers:

Here's a tip for you all, and it is what I do a lot of times in contentious threads: type a full-fledged response, press Preview, look it over...and when you're satisfied with it...close out the window

Edward McCoy 904185
Posted
Posted
Actually I was asking about Edward's post. And here's a tip for the flamers:

If you had only looked up one post you would know why I said what I did.

Edward J. McCoy

Albuquerque ARTCC DATM

Francis Ko 963228
Posted
Posted

Affirmative...

Elliot Lezam 895373
Posted
Posted

why do we have to fight... some artcc's ARE better then others, its a fact... YOU make the opinion though, which ones are better. No artcc is equal because you find different plusses and minuses to each one. Some get more traffic, some might be calmer which you might like more... its all different

Kevin Kan
Posted
Posted

*sigh* Well, of course, because ZNY is of course the only good ARTCC, right? C'mon... we're all proud of our ARTCC, but play nice. Let the poor guy make up his own mind.

Last part of that is optional. Unless you want to come here.

Also read the last line.

Also read my first line in the post, then read my second line. Don't just read the line that sticks out.

The fourth line was just sarcasm.

1723.png

atc2o.png