You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATIS delay in the FSLabs A320

Peter Pukhnoy

Peter Pukhnoy
Posted
Posted

In the FSLabs A320 you can request text ATIS via the MCDU, however it is always one or two letters behind the actual text ATIS I see in vpilot. FSLabs said I should contact VATSIM about this.

Aidan Stevens
Posted
Posted

It’s very difficult to troubleshoot an issue like this without further information regarding how FSLabs is getting this data. Did they mention where they’re pulling the ATIS from?

Peter Pukhnoy
Posted
Posted

I only know that they pull it from a VATSIM server.

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Peter

Your comment that it is always one or two behind is false.

As an example, I just started P3D, the 320x and VATSPY to compare.

The screenshots show things as expected.

TfBsI7t.jpg

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Peter Pukhnoy
Posted
Posted (edited)

Maybe not always, but certainly more often than not . I've tried to use the ATIS feature three or four times in total, but only once did I receive the actual ATIS.

EDIT: just went online to check, and oddly enough most were up to date, except this one:

TGNHmV8.jpg

Edited by Guest

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Not sure why that would happen unless the datafeed from VATSIM has been cached somewhere. Certainly for me with one exception they have always been current.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

vPilot requests the ATIS directly from the controller client through the network, so it is always going to give you the current ATIS. The FSL A320 (I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume) pulls it from the public VATSIM data feed, which is up to 2 minutes out of date.

Could that 2 minute lag time be responsible for what you're seeing?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Peter Pukhnoy
Posted
Posted
Could that 2 minute lag time be responsible for what you're seeing?

I just measured the delay at ENBR - it was at least 13 minutes. I didn't know about the 2 minute lag, so now I'm not going to be using it either way

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Could be that the FSL A320 caches the ATIS data for some longer period of time.

I'm curious ... did the FSL A320 install a vPilot plugin? You can check the Plugins subfolder where vPilot.exe is installed.

Peter Pukhnoy
Posted
Posted
Could be that the FSL A320 caches the ATIS data for some longer period of time.

It's not just FSL. I measured the lag in VATSpy.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Ahh, so maybe the VATSIM ATIS data file isn't updated every 2 minutes like the traffic data file is.

Aidan Stevens
Posted
Posted

If it is pulling from the vatsim-data.txt file, then there shouldn’t be any more than a 5 minute delay.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
If it is pulling from the vatsim-data.txt file, then there shouldn’t be any more than a 5 minute delay.

I was referring to the atis0 lines in the status file, but the only such line returns a 404 right now ... not sure what's up with that. Does that service still exist?

Aidan Stevens
Posted
Posted

I was referring to the atis0 lines in the status file, but the only such line returns a 404 right now ... not sure what's up with that. Does that service still exist?

Hmmm, I don't think that service has been up in quite a while. I can only imagine that if the ATIS service in the FSLabs is working right now, that they must be parsing the ATIS entries in the regular vatsim-data.txt file.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

So they must be caching on their end then, I guess.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

And even if so: normally the weather does not change that dramatically that you will get into a serious situation by being one ATIS-version behind. In the real world we request an ATIS through AFIS/ACARS 30 to 60 minutes before our ETA and once again 15 minutes before landing, before calling up the approach controller.